Author Topic: The ads!  (Read 29018 times)

Offline Zygoptera

• Conversationalist
  • Alright, do that voodoo that you do, not very well
    • View Profile
Re: The ads!
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2007, 12:07:18 AM »
Oh wow, I didn't even notice the ad at the bottom of the page 'til now. Like everyone said above me, well done Fred on making them not obnoxious!
Cave ab homine unius libri

Great Ruler of the Regions Where Things Freeze Solid And Fall Off

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2007, 04:39:23 AM »
Gotta say, I concur. The ads are well done and not obtrustive in the least. One question... When the time comes, where're ya gonna put the Countdown Calendar now?

Well, they're making it onto the front page of the main site, but if I feel especially moved, I can bump the top ad for a bit if I must (not my preference though).
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Murphy's Stunt Double

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2007, 04:50:39 AM »
s'pose the ads are more important. For your cross sampling needs, I personally visit this site nearly day and have been to the "main" site twice since.... April??

If you are up to no good, please do no good for me too, okay?   ;D

Offline Dread Pirate Sayessa

• Posty McPostington
  • Did the cow creamer tell you that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2007, 02:16:52 PM »
Hmm, maybe because I'm on my work computer (it blocks most ads) but I don't see any ads anywhere.  I'll have to look when I get home!   8)
I ATE'NT DEAD

I still think 40-50 degrees Fahrenheit is "wintertime"
Thanks, SoCal.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2007, 02:37:46 PM »
s'pose the ads are more important. For your cross sampling needs, I personally visit this site nearly day and have been to the "main" site twice since.... April??

Yeah.  The ads provide a pretty interesting window onto site use, and as I suspected, the forums make up the lion's share of the traffic (in terms of visits/page loads).   Prior to putting them on the forums, I made about 5000-6000 "impressions" (ad-loads) per day.  Yesterday I made nearly 20,000.  Granted, with ads at the top and bottom of the page, I *think* I'm technically making two impressions per page load, but that's still fairly impressive. 
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2007, 03:16:09 PM »
Yeah.  The ads provide a pretty interesting window onto site use, and as I suspected, the forums make up the lion's share of the traffic (in terms of visits/page loads).   Prior to putting them on the forums, I made about 5000-6000 "impressions" (ad-loads) per day.  Yesterday I made nearly 20,000.  Granted, with ads at the top and bottom of the page, I *think* I'm technically making two impressions per page load, but that's still fairly impressive. 

Is there a difference, in terms of benefit to you, if the ads are actually clicked?

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2007, 05:21:37 PM »
Is there a difference, in terms of benefit to you, if the ads are actually clicked?

Yep.  The ads work on a "click-farming" basis.  That said, I think Google gets tetchy if folks click the ads just for the payoff, as it were, so I think the official thing to say is "Please support the site by visiting our sponsors." :)

Just don't click-for-the-hell-of-it.  If I had a friend who clicked on every ad that popped up, for example, that might look to Google like I was "abusing" the ads, dig?
Fred Hicks

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2007, 06:13:59 AM »
This is a hoot.... the ads change per the content of the page....

On this site, it has made for more than a few LOL moments... of which I can remember none at the moment.

(I have the Anti-Shawn mind... his reads and remembers for a decade until the precise moment to use it, mine read and records, but refuses to retreive)

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2007, 11:46:13 AM »
In the Flamethrower and Gardening thread there was an ad for a flamethrower kit.  Where we were talking about Foamy, there was an ad for getting supplies for pet squirrels.  Ya gotta love it.

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2007, 02:33:23 AM »
Heh - I just told someone he's smarter than his avatar looks and came up with an ad for Pacifica University, Graduate degrees in Psychology and Mythology studies!

I love it!

Lunch_Box

« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2007, 05:11:51 PM »
 I see no adds. But then I run NoScript.http://noscript.net/ Never understood why people leave their browsers wide open to all the malicious codes, spyware, google tracking software, etc. All you need to do is read the current news about the adobe flash exploit effecting thousands of web pages to see you must take some actions to ensure your safety. Not like someone is going to do it for you.

Just because I visit this site, I don't think that gives google or any other site the right to exec, java code, or anything else on my pc. Just because the admin here has injected their code links into the page. Yes I understand it is to generate revenue for this site. But it is still a non-transparent/hidden relink to another sites code. No different then how they inject malware into your pc. So I just block it all. If the code isn't coming from this domain, It isn't needed to view the site. And I hardly think google is trustworthy. If you think they have your best interest at hearts by logging all your searches and viewing habits with sites linked to google stats, google adds, etc. Then you might be in for a shock.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2007, 05:23:39 PM by Lunch_Box »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2007, 01:53:37 AM »
Your lack of willingness to support the site and general bitterness about Google is noted.  Thanks.

It's also not something I want discussed in this thread.  I'll lock if it folks go the bitching route.
Fred Hicks

• Needs A Life
  • Tiny... but fierce!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2007, 02:01:34 AM »
No worries, Iago, If posts to date are a representative cross sampling, most of us are getting a kick out of the ads...

Offline Helen™

• Seriously?
  • Putting on the BOOTS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2007, 02:52:02 AM »
Your lack of willingness to support the site and general bitterness about Google is noted.  Thanks.

It's also not something I want discussed in this thread.  I'll lock if it folks go the bitching route.

Not me.  I think they're funny as hell.  I will, however, hold you personally responsible if my child orders a flamethrower kit...

btw...Look for  the Borders ads.  They have print out coupons.  I've already saved money on books using those.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2007, 02:54:42 AM by Helen »

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2007, 04:09:51 AM »
btw...Look for  the Borders ads.  They have print out coupons.  I've already saved money on books using those.
Nice!
Fred Hicks