Author Topic: Unexpected Power Ups Following Battle Ground  (Read 6732 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected Power Ups Following Battle Ground
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2020, 06:46:18 PM »
I seem to remember that, however three piece suits are not the usual warden uniform.

Except for one.

I think some suit of mundane material is expected, but Harry has a suit of the material, not just a cloak he is THE Warden.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 07:29:22 PM »
You know what is weird about the suit? Nobody commented on Harry wearing it. He didn't whine about having to wear one, Murphy didn't make any comment either, at least not on page.
When a friend and I watched the trailer, she said. Oh, look, he is wearing a suit. That could be fun reading the comments about that. Not even someone saying he looked good.
It isn't necessary for the story, buy I really would have expected some comment.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 08:39:33 PM »
You know what is weird about the suit? Nobody commented on Harry wearing it. He didn't whine about having to wear one, Murphy didn't make any comment either, at least not on page.
When a friend and I watched the trailer, she said. Oh, look, he is wearing a suit. That could be fun reading the comments about that. Not even someone saying he looked good.
It isn't necessary for the story, buy I really would have expected some comment.

Yeah, back in Death Masks, Harry remarked that he looked good in a tux.  In this case, not a big deal, if he wasn't wearing a suit it would be wrong.  Remember this was Molly's gift, Harry isn't just a Warden of the White Council, he is the Winter Knight, now perhaps not representing in an official capacity, but he is what he is, so Molly with no doubt Mab's approval is going to see that he looks sharp in his spider silk duds, doesn't hurt that the material acts like body armor.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 08:48:07 PM by Mira »

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 11:11:11 PM »
And like the wardens cloaks wipe clean. Honestly Harry gets an indestructible suit, which is wipe clean, it’s almost as though Molly knows that Harry can’t be trusted with anything nice.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 06:09:54 PM »
You know what is weird about the suit? Nobody commented on Harry wearing it.
That is weird. Almost every time I where a suit, someone comments on it. I wear suits more often than most, but not every day. Before Covid, I wore a suit more than once a week. Jeans and t-shirt Harry would definitely get comments from just about everyone who knows him.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2020, 06:15:47 PM »
Harry is known for wearing weird stuff to the White Council such as a bathrobe. So people have just given up.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2020, 06:24:50 PM »
Harry is known for wearing weird stuff to the White Council such as a bathrobe. So people have just given up.

True, but that was back in his younger days, and he is representing the Winter Court as their Knight, so he has to look sharp! ::)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2020, 06:47:14 PM »
That's why they would comment on him dressing up properly. He'd get at least one "clean up nicely" comment. At least.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2020, 07:54:43 PM »
As far as I know, belief does not grant power. It does however allow a supernatural being to act more freely in the mortal realm, which technically does indeed improve one's power level in a sense.

From Backup, mortal knowledge is needed for Nevernever entities to access the mortal world. (But not belief; knowledge of an entity as a myth is sufficient. Apparently even pure fiction, if you believe Bob's comment about the D&D cartoon helping out Tiamat.)

There's a WOJ about 'the beings themselves don't change' which I think means that they don't lose power in the Nevernever, they just can't access the mortal world. (And presumably they can be forgotten in some universes, and remembered in others.)

This is important because technically Ethniu should not be able to act so rampantly in the mortal plain.

Yes, this is a very good point.

Some possibilities:
- Maybe this is her "limited" power level. If both Mab and Ethniu are equally limited, then if Ethniu's stronger to start with, she'd still be stronger than Mab.

-Maybe the rules are changing as things move toward the BAT, some sort of super-Conjunction, possibly related to the 666-year "starborn cycle".

-Maybe Nemesis... but I really doubt it can infect beings on this power-level.

- As you suggest, maybe Ethniu is just a different sort of being, a titan/proto-god, and thus the rules are different for her.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2020, 09:22:49 PM »
That's why they would comment on him dressing up properly. He'd get at least one "clean up nicely" comment. At least.
Exactly. That's what I meant. I would have expected at least one comment. But there was nothing. From no one. Weird. Or just edited out because of unimportance.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 13, 2020, 10:40:00 PM »
True, but that was back in his younger days, and he is representing the Winter Court as their Knight, so he has to look sharp! ::)

He is a wizard and still therefore in his younger days. They may have taken it as an order from Mab, and unwilling to to give offence to either Harry or Mab, as Harry Dresden will never say “ if you haven’t got something good to say, say nothing”