Poll

What do you think?  

Thomas didn’t attack Etri, it was a shapeshifter who looked like Thomas.  Thomas entered the room seconds later and was knocked unconscious. Probably an inside job with the shapeshifter brought in by someone within the Swarthalf court.
3 (11.5%)
Thomas was extorted through threats made by a third party against Justine into attacking Etri.
2 (7.7%)
Thomas was made an offer to protect Justine from her unborn child’s hunger and protect Justine after Thomas was gone, in exchange for attacking Etri.
6 (23.1%)
Thomas is nemfected and the adversary made him do it.
2 (7.7%)
Thomas was mind whammyed by a wizard into attacking Mr. Etri.
3 (11.5%)
Thomas just didn’t like the little grey creep.
0 (0%)
Your own idea.  - Tell us what it is.
3 (11.5%)
I have no freak'n clue
7 (26.9%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: October 01, 2020, 12:42:18 AM

Author Topic: Possible reasons why Thomas attacked Mr. Etri  (Read 5525 times)

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Possible reasons why Thomas attacked Mr. Etri
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2020, 03:27:56 AM »
Whoever is responsible (Justine, Mab, Nemesis, Thomas himself) - why?

That is, why would anyone particularly want to kill Etri (or Austri)?

The svartalves seem to kind of keep to themselves mostly, so they're not much of a threat, and they don't seem central to holding the Accords together or a primary combative force, so it's not clear why they'd be particularly high on the bad guys' list.

That's assuming trying to kill Etri was actually about wanting Etri dead, or (at a stretch) Austri.

The svartalves might have been targeted simply because they were hosting Harry. The Black Council is trying to put pressure on Harry from as many fronts as possible. Could be attacking Etri was just a convenient way to put Thomas out of action as an ally, and in enough danger to distract Harry from contesting the political plot against him. And however it turned out, this was going to drive a wedge between Harry and Svartalfheim, forcing him out of a secure place to live, and depriving the guy who has an uncanny affinity for crafting enchanted objects from forming closer ties with the supernatural world's preeminent craftsmen. He's irritating enough as is; if he starts spending diamonds on getting support to make elite focus objects, he's going to become that much more of a problem for them.

The only group we know with a grudge against Etri is the Fomor.  They will be angry about what happened to their noble in Bombshells.

If I recall correctly, though, the implication was that the empress wanted the treaty, and the lord was freelancing with the bomb plot. Listen followed orders because they're mad hierarchical and the svartalves would have been stuck in the bargain after they signed anyway so long as the gas killed everyone but them, but lord Froggy was going against the spirit of his orders, if not their letter. His kin and allies might have a grudge, but I'm not sure Ethniu is going to be carrying a personal grudge over that one.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 12:07:40 AM by Snark Knight »

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2020, 02:10:48 AM »
Unless of course it was all oblivion war stuff which Harry is totally oblivious to.

Offline Pirate101

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2020, 05:30:09 AM »
Etri's sister might be behind it all. She already appeared in Bombshells where she distracted Thomas. She has been in close contact with him ever since, so she had some opportunities to maybe spy on Lara via Thomas ans or Justine. She was telling Harry what supposedly happened, which could be a clue that it is her story, literally as in orchestrated by her.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2020, 05:45:10 AM »
Thomas lost ontrol of his hunger.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2020, 06:11:46 AM »
Thomas lost ontrol of his hunger.

I don't think so... when a Raith loses control of their hunger, it means their lust-inducing powers turn on/strengthen when they don't intend them to (like Thomas getting fired from jobs in DB, or Lara's Hunger-aura turning on in PT), or when actually feeding it means they take too much energy.

It doesn't make them attack people physically.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2020, 06:14:07 AM »
Unless of course it was all oblivion war stuff which Harry is totally oblivious to.

That was my first thought, but presumably Harry is going to find *some* answer (either in BG or in a later book when Thomas is released), and I think Harry isn't going to find out about the Oblivion War.

Of course maybe Harry will just find out that Lara ordered him to do it, and we (the readers) will know it's an Oblivion War thing (in the same way that Harry doesn't know in PT what happened to Carlos, but it's clear to the readers that it was Molly in "Cold Case").

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2020, 08:02:34 AM »
I don't think so... when a Raith loses control of their hunger, it means their lust-inducing powers turn on/strengthen when they don't intend them to (like Thomas getting fired from jobs in DB, or Lara's Hunger-aura turning on in PT), or when actually feeding it means they take too much energy.

It doesn't make them attack people physically.
We saw what happened when the hunger demon lost control in turn coat. That was a few steps further than just letting the demon feed when it is inconvenient. It completely took over and changed Thomas. The svartalves could very well interpret that as an attack.

And the skinwalker is still unaccounted for.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2020, 10:58:10 AM »
We saw what happened when the hunger demon lost control in turn coat. That was a few steps further than just letting the demon feed when it is inconvenient. It completely took over and changed Thomas. The svartalves could very well interpret that as an attack.

And the skinwalker is still unaccounted for.

I am inclined to discount a skinwalker because I think they caught Thomas almost instantly. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2020, 12:38:08 PM »
I am inclined to discount a skinwalker because I think they caught Thomas almost instantly.
It could also be some stupid experimenting with the hunger in a misguided attempt to protect Justine.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »
It could also be some stupid experimenting with the hunger in a misguided attempt to protect Justine.
That actually makes sense, however assassination it usually a political act, or it is personal.  One question not asked, was there a conspiracy? Was Thomas a part of that? What is it's motives?  Or
was it purely personal on the part of Thomas, dislike or attempt to protect Justine?  I don't think
Thomas lost his mind because of the Hunger, he was feeding.  I don't think he lost control of his Hunger, because up until now, all that ever meant was feeding upon the victim until death, not trying to blow someone up..   

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2020, 11:48:52 PM »
That’s the dichotomy, political Eb (although Eb also has personal), personal Evanna. Eb may have wanted a war of extinction against the White Court (covering Thomas), Evanna may have wanted to deny whatever help Thomas was seeking from Etri as regards Justine.

Thomas and Justine live in an apartment a couple of stories above ground level, so no earth walking into there. It strikes me that we were treated to an exposition of earth walking in PT, suggesting it is going to be relevant in BG. It would be awfully easy to grab Justine off the street using that method, during BG under the noses of those surveilling her, time it right, she just vanishes, entombed in the earth, unless of course the Justine they grab is Goodman Grey.

This makes sense if the motive is personal in setting Thomas up, Justine would be next, but why delay? Unless there is a good reason for the delay, no opportunity for a clean grab because the victim is not in a good position, and too many looking.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2020, 04:04:21 AM »

I really don't think the Hunger has anything to do with it. Sure, in extreme situations the Hunger can override the "human-side" will of a Whampire, but that would lead to Thomas fatally feeding on someone (in the Svartalves' embassy, likely Evanna), not a direct physical attack on Etri or Austri.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2020, 04:19:29 AM »
I really don't think the Hunger has anything to do with it. Sure, in extreme situations the Hunger can override the "human-side" will of a Whampire, but that would lead to Thomas fatally feeding on someone (in the Svartalves' embassy, likely Evanna), not a direct physical attack on Etri or Austri.

I totally agree,  I think the Hunger had anything to do with it either.