Author Topic: Why Not Never Never for escape with Thomas?  (Read 2557 times)

Offline WDDPCPA

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Why Not Never Never for escape with Thomas?
« on: August 05, 2020, 04:03:50 PM »
Dresden's home is now the castle.  And down in the lab is Thomas.  Rather than drag Thomas through the gathering above, why not just open a way into the Never Never?

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Why Not Never Never for escape with Thomas?
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2020, 08:49:47 PM »
Baron Marcone is being competently advised on magical defenses, by Vadderung's people if not others.

Presumably there are some defenses against the most basic method of wizardly infiltration -- and who knows where it might go. There's no reason to think it still connects to Lea's garden.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2020, 10:50:57 PM »
Every magic user there would have sensed it.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 10:43:42 PM »
What's on the other side? Using the Nevernever is a desperation move when you either don't know what's on the other side or are one of the frequent users who have a sense of what's on the other side.

Offline mrbassman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 11:41:37 PM »
Who knows what's on the other side is what Harry always says. I would assume it's not Lea' s garden anymore.

As for why not. Marcone told us previously. He arranges things so Harry can come and go  as he pleases to all of his properties.

Another point with the never never. Why didn't he check the amulet for a shortcut to the water beetle vs running/car.

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 07:24:02 PM »
Because the amulet's an ace in the hole, and he didn't want Lara knowing about it.

Why he never uses it *from* Demonreach I don't know.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:06:50 PM »
Yes, I've been thinking that the amulet is being criminally underused. I thought that before, but with this book is even worse. i hope he uses it in BG
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline mrbassman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 10:19:24 PM »
I don't think it's about hiding it from Lara.  I have a theory that Lord Raith had one too. Harry saw him wearing a red gem in an earlier book.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2020, 12:57:15 AM »
What if Lea left the connection between Harry's old basement and her primrose path intact?  I'm not saying Lea would do this, but there would be no way for Harry to know for sure.  He might also guess that a different magic user; like Ms. Gard for example, might have set an equally nasty trap for anyone trying to use the Nevernever as an attack entrance or an escape path.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2020, 05:41:30 AM »
Yes, I've been thinking that the amulet is being criminally underused. I thought that before, but with this book is even worse. i hope he uses it in BG

I agree, I hope we see more of it soon.

I think there hasn't been much call for it recently though. He didn't have it physically in GS, CD was largely Demonreach-centric and it's not good to go into the NN there, and in SG Nicodemus had the whole NN route planned out already.

BG may be too Chicago-centric to see much of it, but who knows.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2020, 05:50:26 AM »

I think there hasn't been much call for it recently though. He didn't have it physically in GS, CD was largely Demonreach-centric and it's not good to go into the NN there, and in SG Nicodemus had the whole NN route planned out already.

It is so underused that I thought he lost it.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2020, 04:51:37 PM »

You are right in all that, is only that it is frustrating from a meta point of view. I mean, as readers it is exciting to see Harry using it.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2020, 06:42:44 PM »
I totally agree. It's just about the coolest thing Harry has, and he went on about how powerful the knowledge was. It's framed as his biggest power-up to date.

What if Lea left the connection between Harry's old basement and her primrose path intact?
I think Jim has said it follows Harry. Or at least that Lea always protects the Nevernever side of where he sleeps.

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 06:58:01 PM »
it is frustrating from a meta point of view. I mean, as readers it is exciting to see Harry using it.

Oh, absolutely.

It is so underused that I thought he lost it.

I thought for years it had been lost when Harry "died"/fell into the lake in Changes. I didn't realize it was still around until it was pointed out on the forums after CD.