Author Topic: Speculation: What did Mab remove from Harry's memory this time?  (Read 6519 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Speculation: What did Mab remove from Harry's memory this time?
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2020, 12:07:29 AM »
If we go with the who dunnit is Eb theory, I feel it makes sense all over. He wasn't being allowed to investigate, he had multiple things he had to juggle and when he still put Thomas first he's attacked by outsiders. I don't think EB summoned then per se, I think his confrontation with Harry ended much the same as his later one but Harry was in the flesh. So he goes back to stop it and the corner hounds follow, new Eb uses it to his advantage to distract Harry. It falls together when you consider someone was actively trying to keep him from asking the right questions. Dang I wish I had more than the audio book... I'm betting Eb distracted him at other times too, but the audio didn't stay as solid in my mind as a real book 😥 much harder to peruse at will.

Don't blame the audio too much, believe me the book is much the same. 

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2020, 12:05:42 AM »
Hunger plus Fallen Angel? It would be getting a little crowded.
Jim has specifically addressed this situation. He said something like the Hunger "would have the short end of the stick."

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2020, 02:56:12 AM »
I have to say, pretty much all of the posts since I made my last post in this thread have been really smart.  Probably the one that most captured what was in my mind was Mira's post about how in Storm Front, Harry was pressed for time, but he asked questions; I would add like a detective, which set things up for future development.  I wasn't expecting Harry to ask questions in Peace Talks that would be developed in future Dresden Files novels, but I was hoping he would ask questions that would lead to future answers in Battle Ground.  I think, "Why did Thomas do it?  He wouldn't have, so he must have been pressured by someone else," isn't much of a question or answer.

At the risk of aggravating my fellow forum contributors, I'm going to mention something Jim said in the Facebook interview that I failed to put into my earlier post.  One of the publisher's reasons that won Jim over to the idea of turning Peace Talks into two books was, if the novel had come out as a single book it's size would have necessitated a retail price of $50 or perhaps a little more than that, which would have been a first in the industry for a popular novelist.  Jim didn't want to be the guy who pushed that price point.

I don't think I'm going to comment on that.

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2020, 06:04:20 AM »
At the risk of aggravating my fellow forum contributors, I'm going to mention something Jim said in the Facebook interview that I failed to put into my earlier post.  One of the publisher's reasons that won Jim over to the idea of turning Peace Talks into two books was, if the novel had come out as a single book it's size would have necessitated a retail price of $50 or perhaps a little more than that, which would have been a first in the industry for a popular novelist.  Jim didn't want to be the guy who pushed that price point.

I still don't buy that, since the two books together cost more than $50.00.  And I have recent books longer than Peace Talks and Battle Ground combined, around 700 or so pages, and they still cost pretty close to $30.00.  In addition if one buys it on Amazon one rarely pays the full price anyway.  The cover price of Peace Talks is $28.00 and I paid more like $14.00. 

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2020, 09:33:48 PM »
What if Harry's memory of visiting Marcone's castle at the end of Skin Game was wiped, but Mab wasn't Faerie Queen who wiped it?  I don't have a neat explanation to justify this, but the OP doesn't give a good explanation of why Mab would specifically wipe Harry's memory of that visit.  To get to my main point, Harry met with Lady Molly and gave her the details of what had been happening which must have included where the peace talks would take place.  The White Council's Law's of Magic no longer apply to Molly.  Perhaps she thought she was protecting Harry from making any unfortunate remarks to Mab or Marcone about their previous meeting or perhaps Molly owed a favor to someone else; probably Mab, and paying off that favor included wiping Harry's memory in order to give Mab plausible deniability.  Mab could honestly say to Harry, "I did not alter your memory."   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx