Author Topic: Chicago Defense!  (Read 5134 times)

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Chicago Defense!
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 09:21:39 PM »
The local news services will have kit in storage, cameras capable of long distance imaging, satellite phones etc. This is going to be televised.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 09:50:32 PM »
Heck, Harry's fight with the Loup Garou was filmed and aired on TV.

And he's been on the Larry Fowler show.

But, yeah, riding a T-rex into battle against frogmen in the streets with a hundred thousand live witnesses and video footage would definitely take it to a new level.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 11:42:00 PM »
That tape went missing and was debunked.

We live in an age of cellphones with cameras, statistically a significant percentage will have been powered down, and available to record.

I also bet Paranoid Gary has a permanently powered down satellite link and computer system, for just such a circumstance ever since Cowl did something similar in Dead Beat. He will be uploading stuff as soon as it gets to him.

The Water Beetle was diesel and survived, not sure if the vehicle used to get to the docks survived, it only just got them there before the splosion so Harry will be on foot unless he can get a Mount like last time there was a blackout.

I just had a thought, on Why  Conjouritis, the Blackout reminds him of Dead Beat and he sneezes, bringing up Sue, no need to go to the Field Museum, for the bones.

Let’s think of insulting nicknames for King Korb which Harry will use, I start with Mr Toad.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 01:32:37 AM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 02:03:25 AM »
I also bet Paranoid Gary has a permanently powered down satellite link and computer system, for just such a circumstance ever since Cowl did something similar in Dead Beat. He will be uploading stuff as soon as it gets to him.
He probably has all the kit he needs inside a circle.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 03:29:18 AM »
Molly said in Bombshells that the turtlenecks were getting mentally less human all the time, and they've had a couple years to get further down that path. They might not be illegal for the Wardens to kill with magic at this point, any more than the cultists in Cold Case or a Renfield.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 09:46:32 AM »
He probably has all the kit he needs inside a circle.

He is PARANOID Gary, his spare kit is powered down and inside THREE active circles.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2020, 01:01:45 AM »
He is PARANOID Gary, his spare kit is powered down and inside THREE active circles.
And then there's the backup to his backup.

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 01:39:23 AM »
I hate reruns.  I don't want to see Sue or the Genowskwa.  Has Jim run out of ideas?

I love Sue. Re-runs of her are fine by me, and I'm pretty sure it'd have some original content.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 08:32:47 AM »
And then there's the backup to his backup.

And the backup to the backup’s backup, this is one dude who is never going to be kept off-line.

I would be happy to see Sue again, there is more that can be done with her, a romantic scene between her and Mr Ferro perhaps?

“I rode Sue to the BFS in the dark, as I drew up to the Castle, I heard Ferrovax’s voice bellow down from the roof “what’s a nice girl like you, doing with a jerk like Dresden?”. Great, someone was trying to chat up my ride.”

Offline Smaug with OCD

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2020, 02:40:32 AM »
Let’s think of insulting nicknames for King Korb which Harry will use, I start with Mr Toad.

Kermit

Didn't Jim say Dresden would fight a Kaiju at some point in the series? I could foresee a ton of Godzilla references if that turns out to be this book and Harry goes to get Sue again.

You just know Harry is going to be the one who gets his face caught on camera. With his luck, there's no other way it could go. And, knowing him, it probably happens while he's in a brawl with some Fomor and burning down a building.
Cookies are awesome. Join the Dark Side.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2020, 03:14:41 AM »
Or riding Sue.

If the Genowskwa is back Godzilla v Kong.

Kermit is too nice an insult for Corb on its own. Kermit the Corb, yes.

I go with a mashup of Beatrix Potter and South Park, Jeremy Fishsticks

Offline jb3435

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2020, 05:40:37 AM »
Sue was badass way back in book whatever I forget at the moment...I wonder how she'll turn out with Soufire added in...

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2020, 06:13:48 AM »
All the Swords should be able to cut through Titanic Bronze

Quite possibly. I was thinking that though the Swords cancel out supernatural protections, it would probably still work like mundane armor... maybe better than ordinary bronze, Etri calls it an 'alloy' which might suggest that its superiority isn't just a matter of active magic like Harry's duster.

Whereas even mundane armor wouldn't be any use against new Fidelacchius.

That might be important if the Titan is Nemfected.

I doubt it... the Fomor seem pretty monstrous already.

And I would tend to think a being significantly stronger than Mab might be immune to Nemfection.

Sue was badass way back in book whatever I forget at the moment...I wonder how she'll turn out with Soufire added in...

Hmm - I wonder if using Soulfire could make her more "alive" than "undead"?

(And Dead Beat was book 7.)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2020, 06:30:35 AM »
Mother Winter can destroy any enchantment

Yeah, but she doesn't get involved.

There are many more actively worshipped gods stronger than Ethniu

I dunno. I think the gods are mostly either far-diminished (like Odin and possibly the Lords of Outer Night, if they ever really were gods rather than faking it) or distinctly not intervening in the mortal world.

And there may not be as many out there as it seems, given the possibility of one being holding multiple mantles and names (Odin and Kringle and Beowulf are all Vadderung) and cross-overs between different mythologies (Grendel was a Bigfoot). Vadderung might also be Mercury and Thoth (historically the ancient Romans considered Wotan/Odin and Thoth to be Mercury worshiped under other names).

Not sure how much worship has to do with the amount of power a being has. I think that's a feature of other fantasy universes, not a Dresdenverse thing. Knowledge of a being can be relevant to give a being access to the mortal world... but belief isn't required, much less worship - knowledge of it in a fictional context is good enough, from "Backup".

Ethniu seems stronger than Odin in PT and I don't think she was really ever worshipped even in pre-Christian Ireland; the Fomorians were more monsters than gods. If she were, her worship certainly would have died out long before Odin's. (Ireland became Christian well before Scandinavia.)