Author Topic: Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground  (Read 10753 times)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground
« Reply #30 on: July 26, 2020, 07:24:52 PM »
I'm not expecting him to decide that Marcone's a good guy -- he's not. It's just Harry's reflexive violent threats against Marcone every time they work together that's a bit tired. Way back in Storm Front, it was necessary to make sure Marcone didn't see him as prey. At this point, Harry should be more confident in his power and not need the threats and posturing to hide his fear.
It is for his own benefit. If you have to work with scum all the time it is good to remember yourself what they are.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 26, 2020, 07:30:39 PM »
Yeah, but it gets as tiresome as Lara always being surprised Harry has decent motives.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2020, 07:48:04 PM »
Yeah, but it gets as tiresome as Lara always being surprised Harry has decent motives.
Lara doesn't know Harry as well as we do  :)

We interpret Harry's actions based on that insight in his head we get. Lara looks at the effects his actions have on others and sees someone who can manipulate people quite cleverly. She does not have the Harry has good intentions monologue on her radio.

Besides she wouldn't be alive now if she wasn't a bit paranoid.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline kel0700

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2020, 07:53:56 PM »
Marcone won’t hand over the castle, but if he ends up owing Harry a favour in BG, or Mab purchases it for him then yes, Harry could end up owning it. A castle abode of the Winter Knight would help forge a connection in the Never Never to Arctis Tor, and perhaps allow Harry to forge one through the Never Never to the cottage on Demonreach, much nicer than Lea’s Murder Garden. Lea may have a green thumb, but the rest of her hands are red right up to the elbow.

Commute? To a different time zone for the single parent of a school age child? Much easier to have someone like Chandler do a daily courier run with relevant reports.

Luccio still has all her experience and knowledge, so a senior Council position is still likely.

Harry is The Warden, the Senior Council cannot take that away from him and everyone will know (Lara, Listens and Eb know at the moment), their options are have to Harry in the tent p@ssing out, or outside the tent p@ssing in. If the main surviving body of Wardens look to Harry rather than the Merlin, then Harry gets to dictate terms like he did on becoming a Warden.

His terms I think would be along the lines

1. Continues to work out of Chicago;
2. Warlocks are rehabilitated or get the Demonreach Treatment, no executions;
3.Amnesty for all Wizard level talents who have not broken the laws (Mort and Elaine);
4. He continues to work as Winter Knight on behalf of all the Accorded Nations;
5. Better treatment and recognition of the Paranetters;
6. Gets to put up a Basketball goal in his new HQ

From the short story even hand its clear that marcone is expecting to kill Harry at some point, I don't know why you believe if marcone did owe Harry a favour, even a huge favour, why marcone would give away his fortress to Harry or why he would sell it or why mab would even want to purchase it. It would put marcone at a huge disadvantage if Harry and marcone ever fought.
Why would mab or Harry want a direct connection between the castle and arctis tor? Mab can travel where ever she wants as fast as she wants and Harry doesn't need a short cut to arctis tor. Also there's no reason for a direct line to the island and Harry wouldn't have the power to do that anyway.

Maggie will be in Bording school, St Marks.
35 mins is nothing.

No its not, the senior council wouldn't even let her run the wardens by herself, they're not going to make her a senior council member when there's hundreds of other wizards who haven't been body switched or had their minds tampered with and who have all their power and skills intact

I never said the council could remove him from being the WARDEN but eb and the gatekeeper have said that the majority of council members know nothing about the island or Harry's position so they could vote him off the council, Harry being the WARDEN doesn't earn him any special previleges with the council.
Lara doesn't know, not really, Harry never explained to her what the island is and it would be a big leap for Lara to jump from the wizard just trapped my brother to that island must contain thousands of evil entities and Harry is the WARDEN of this apparent prison.
Harry never got to dictate anything when he became a warden, in peace talks he said they forced him to join, he said he'd never leave Chicago but they weren't going to move him anyway and he said that luccio refused to give him any work hunting warlocks because she knew his feelings on the matter, she could have forced the issue if she wanted, there wouldn't of been much Harry could do about it.
It wouldn't matter that much if the wardens looked to Harry, Harry would only have the support of the wardens up to a certain point, they for example, wouldn't start a civil war if Harry started making demands of the merlin and he didn't comply, the merlin has God knows how many supporters on the council and he is the most powerful wizard on earth, he'd still be the boss.

Again Harry wouldn't be able to dictate much we've seen how powerful older wizards are compared to younger ones.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2020, 07:59:23 PM »
Lara doesn't know Harry as well as we do  :)

We interpret Harry's actions based on that insight in his head we get. Lara looks at the effects his actions have on others and sees someone who can manipulate people quite cleverly. She does not have the Harry has good intentions monologue on her radio.

Besides she wouldn't be alive now if she wasn't a bit paranoid.
But she's supposed to understand humans. She's been around for centuries, and knew his mother.  She saw his defend Thomas as his brother in Blood Rites, she saw him protect herself in White Night, she saw him protect the innocent in Turn Coat, and she has to know a lot about him from spying and keeping tabs on Thomas's involvement in pretty much every book since Blood Rites.  And yet she's still completely baffled by him.  Her inability to recognize him for what he is any how he acts is a mark against her.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2020, 08:17:51 PM »
Having a safe backdoor to your stronghold is a lesson Harry has painfully learned, taking up residence in the castle would allow him to forge a link to the Winter Knights apartment in Arctis Tor, a different part of the Winter Knight’s apartment allows him to get to Demonreach, something which would otherwise be beyond his current power.

For example the Garderobe/Dumbwaiter accesses the Winter Knights toilet in the Arctis Tor apartment. The Winter Knights bed accesses the place in Demonreach where Harry recuperated from being shot. Harry then has to open a portal in the dumbwaiter, walk from the bathroom to the bedroom and open a portal in the bed to go into the bowels of Demonreach where he keeps his  super weapons. Less than 30 seconds there and back, and at all times he is in (for him) a secure location.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2020, 08:42:47 PM »
But she's supposed to understand humans. She's been around for centuries, and knew his mother.  She saw his defend Thomas as his brother in Blood Rites, she saw him protect herself in White Night, she saw him protect the innocent in Turn Coat, and she has to know a lot about him from spying and keeping tabs on Thomas's involvement in pretty much every book since Blood Rites.  And yet she's still completely baffled by him.  Her inability to recognize him for what he is any how he acts is a mark against her.
She understands lust. She understands parts of the human mind but she does not really understand  some other lings like love. She is evil.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilCanNotComprehendGood
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2020, 09:01:22 PM »
She understands lust. She understands parts of the human mind but she does not really understand  some other lings like love. She is evil.

https://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EvilCanNotComprehendGood
And yet she sort of seems to love Thomas.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2020, 09:05:52 PM »
And yet she sort of seems to love Thomas.

Believe it or not, but evil people can love and do.. 

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2020, 10:04:12 PM »
I'm not expecting him to decide that Marcone's a good guy -- he's not. It's just Harry's reflexive violent threats against Marcone every time they work together that's a bit tired. Way back in Storm Front, it was necessary to make sure Marcone didn't see him as prey. At this point, Harry should be more confident in his power and not need the threats and posturing to hide his fear.

Marcone is his mirror. Harry is also a tiger. He hates Marcone because Marcone accepts himself, and Harry denies himself.

It's actually fairly realistic antipathy.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2020, 12:34:54 AM »
Marcone is his mirror. Harry is also a tiger. He hates Marcone because Marcone accepts himself, and Harry denies himself.
That is what the monsters say to him he should do, stop caring and become one too.
It's actually fairly realistic antipathy.
That is because Harry has a good heart, Morcone has not.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2020, 12:42:05 AM »
Jim is asked “what is the first frivolous thing Harry buys with his gym sock full of diamonds”

Jim’s reply.

(click to show/hide)

This appears to confirm fan theories following
(click to show/hide)
[/quote]

I watched it (My favorite part of the interview was Brutus  :)). I thought he meant the Great Hall of Edinburgh, I don't remember if the castle one was named great hall at all. I thought that somehow Harry would be able to be back at his basement but I did not imagine the entire castle would be his. I suspect, though, that Mab can eventually buy the whole castle and gave the basement to Harry as his WK dependencies. I am not sure.
I was also surprised Harry did not buy something frivolous before all that. 
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 27, 2020, 05:49:07 PM »
Is this a good place to bring up (once again) that the size of Marcone's castle seems to exceed the size of the old house Harry lived under?
The lot of the house I grew up in would definitely be big enough for a small castle or a pretty large tower castle. Castles were a lot smaller than people think. Harry's boarding house was never described with enough specificity for us to know. What were the setbacks, what was the footprint of the boarding house, how many floors does the castle have? We don't really have enough information to say the castle is too big for the lot.

In the old house he got terribly afraid of fire being used against the house and this was borne out. The castle is stone, that won’t happen.
Castles can and did burn down. It would just be a lot harder to burn down than an old wooden structure.

Jim said harry would be getting a new position of authority.
I missed that. Was this in the interview?

Now if only Harry had access to a large fortified building with wards equivalent to Edinburgh in which to work out of with residential facilities, a gym, a boardroom for meetings and a large hall for operations/ training/ function space, he could work from home, a lot of people are doing it now and it is time to drag the White Council kicking and screaming into the world of 20th century employment practices.......hmmmm.
With the roof being broken, are the wards even there anymore? Harry said if his wards were broken, he'd have to start over.

Working from home was a common practice before the 20th century. Definitely from before the industrial revolution.

I don't know why u think marcone would just hand over his castle to the white council or why Harry would want to live there.
Because Marcone dies in BG and Harry has to take over as Baron of Chicago? Totally don't think that's going to happen, but that's one way to get Harry the castle.

To a different time zone for the single parent of a school age child?
What kel0700 said.

Harry is The Warden, the Senior Council cannot take that away from him and everyone will know (Lara, Listens and Eb know at the moment).
The entire Senior Council knows, except maybe Cristos.

From the short story even hand its clear that marcone is expecting to kill Harry at some point.
He set up defenses because he expects Harry to come for him eventually. Assassinating Harry would actually be relatively easy.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 27, 2020, 06:23:21 PM »
The lot of the house I grew up in would definitely be big enough for a small castle or a pretty large tower castle. Castles were a lot smaller than people think. Harry's boarding house was never described with enough specificity for us to know. What were the setbacks, what was the footprint of the boarding house, how many floors does the castle have? We don't really have enough information to say the castle is too big for the lot.
We know the boarding house was two stories plus the basement. We know it had an empty gravel parking lot next to it, possibly doubling the lot.  We know the average lot size in Chicago is 250 ft by 1000 feet (thanks internet!).

We know the castle fills the lot size, save for a Harry-stride distance between it and the sidewalk.  We know the castle is four stories plus basement, and has Gargoyles.  We know the first floor has a great room large enough and vaulted enough for a sizeable group of people to mingle.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 27, 2020, 06:48:01 PM »
I think knowing the average lot size in Chicago is useless. They were probably pretty small before zoning laws mandated them be a certain size. (250 by 1000 feet is huge for a residential lot).

Thanks for the number of stories. I must have forgotten or missed that.

How big the castle is doesn't really answer the question of whether the lot was too small to hold it. My point is mostly that we don't have enough information to tell us that the lot wasn't big enough to hold it either, so we can conclude that it was.