Author Topic: Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground  (Read 10752 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Comicon@Home Tidbit for Battle Ground
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2020, 11:59:26 PM »
If that’s the case:

(click to show/hide)

There are happy reasons, little Maggie should be with "family," on Christmas.  The Carpenters are a normal family, with children, she knows them and is comfortable around them, I bet loves them, so does Harry.  Then there are sad reasons possible, all the blood family they have are either dead or locked up. 

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2020, 12:24:30 AM »
If that’s the case:

(click to show/hide)
Have you ever spent Christmas alone?

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2020, 12:41:41 AM »
The castle is also going to require works, holes have been blown in the ceilings and it wasn’t even Harry’s fault, so a full structural assessment, works of repair and a remodelling of the basement to make new quarters for Harry and Maggie would be required, when Chicago has suffered major damage.

Besides do you honestly expect Harry to be living permanently under the same roof as Charity. He has been invited for the holidays, Michael is that nice a guy, he recognises Harry needs cheering up, as does Mab, Molly and Kringle

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2020, 01:23:42 AM »
Have you ever spent Christmas alone?

Not alone, but I've spent a couple of Christmases in a grieved state...  I learned the hard way, [well meaning but very WRONG] relations thought I shouldn't do Thanksgiving considering my loss.  It was terrible, so I was determined to try and do Christmas as I always do, it was difficult, yes, but better than not doing it.  As Harry said, he was doing it for little Maggie, the others were also and for him.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2020, 02:35:11 AM »
It seems to me that depending how things go in Battle Ground, Harry might be in a position to get a lot of things settled.  He's going to have the only weapon that can kill a Titan or subdue it until it can be locked up.  Also, consider what happens if Thomas becomes a KotC and saves whoever's left standing on the Senior Council, and probably Etri too.  (I never really thought Thomas would go down this path, but it looks to me like Jim has set it up to happen and soon.)  Finally, there's the possibility that this might be Ebenezer's last fight.  I could see Harry ending up with the Blackstaff. 

Simply rescuing the situation should be enough, but especially if Thomas does what I expect him to do, boy is Harry going to be able to say, "See I told you so."   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2020, 04:06:10 AM »
I was just thinking how, if it's all just a misunderstanding with Thomas and Etri that will get worked out in Battle Ground, the Svartalves might be really handy in building a facility on Demonreach.  Obviously they couldn't be given free rein on the island, but if there's rubble from the broken lighthouse and house, they might be able to throw together a place in an afternoon.

Then I thought that Harry should be able to do it himself, if he can control Demonreach himself like we saw in PT.  But it'd probably be a better job for the Svartalves.  Then he could have a secure place there real quick (on the outside for visitors).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2020, 04:57:54 AM »
It seems to me that depending how things go in Battle Ground, Harry might be in a position to get a lot of things settled.  He's going to have the only weapon that can kill a Titan or subdue it until it can be locked up.  Also, consider what happens if Thomas becomes a KotC and saves whoever's left standing on the Senior Council, and probably Etri too.  (I never really thought Thomas would go down this path, but it looks to me like Jim has set it up to happen and soon.)  Finally, there's the possibility that this might be Ebenezer's last fight.  I could see Harry ending up with the Blackstaff. 

Simply rescuing the situation should be enough, but especially if Thomas does what I expect him to do, boy is Harry going to be able to say, "See I told you so."   

Yeah, but it will be just ashes in his mouth because his win will also be his loss.  Thomas might eventually end up as KotC, but not in the next book or the next in my opinion.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2020, 06:09:27 AM »
I think Thomas will be back for the wrestling book, as Thomas would be the “hero” in the ring, and Harry would be the “heel”.

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2020, 03:13:20 PM »
Well he likely won't be in BG, because that's too quick. And he isn't needed for MM. So the wrestling book would be likely.

Offline kel0700

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2020, 03:57:17 PM »
Harry wouldn’t leave Chicago, his family are there his friends are there and Demonreach is there. His trapdoor is there. He loves that trapdoor. More importantly Mab wants him there. He is there at Christmas Eve. More likely he would move a lot of Warden operations to Chicago, it is a much bigger transport hub than Edinburgh, meaning it has more connections with the Never Never allowing for better Warden deployment and the three largest problems in the last few decades have been the Red Court based in South America, the heirs of Kemmler (Chicago) and the Titan attack (also Chicago). Edinburgh not so much unless you count the problems building the tram system. If Luccio is tapped for the Senior Council it would be a little awkward for her to work day in and out with Harry (the sorry tale of workplace romances) so a bit of distance may be order.

Now if only Harry had access to a large fortified building with wards equivalent to Edinburgh in which to work out of with residential facilities, a gym, a boardroom for meetings and a large hall for operations/ training/ function space, he could work from home, a lot of people are doing it now and it is time to drag the White Council kicking and screaming into the world of 20th century employment practices.......hmmmm.

It would also help if Harry had an isolated but secure baby Warden training facility, call it Camp Spooky which doubled up as a supermax prison where he could set up a juvenile wing for young warlocks instead of executing them which as a former young warlock is something he strongly dissapproves of and handily can now practically end.....hmmmmmm.

His use of Demonreach will be widely known after Battle Ground, the Senior Council will have to recognise that he is The Warden, definitive article, not a Warden. The Wardens are named after The Warden, and I suspect Captain of Wardens exists as post when there is no Warden (definitive article). For all we know Warden was a Senior Council post like Merlin, or GateKeeper which lapsed when no one was stupid enough to claim Demonreach as a sanctum. Then along came Harry.  Chandler is a historian, he would know (now isn’t that handy that we just found that out, and he is for once in Chicago)

I would point out that there is a large amount of super warded stone on Demonreach in the ruined lighthouse, only a quarter of which was used to build the cottage, Harry can use the remainder for either building on his castle, or for building something like a bunkhouse for trainees on Demonreach itself, just need Alfred to block wardens from the Islands influence, which Harry has handily realised Alfred can probably do. This would be handy as there are increasing numbers of Wizards in need of training.

I think Harry is going to realise that he has through his choices and circumstance painted himself into a corner with the White Council and not the one he thought he had, instead of being pushed out, he is going to be pushed much further in.

I don't know why u think marcone would just hand over his castle to the white council or why Harry would want to live there.
I don't think Harry loves the trap door just the memory of his old apartment.
Luccio lost most of her power and skill due to being in a younger body, I'd be surprised if she was still eligible for senior council membership.
Luccio required someone to help her with the heavy lifting which is why Morgan was commanding the wardens, Harry could take over that position or be outright captain of the wardens. Depending on whether or not Luccio survives.
Harry was at the carpenters for Christmas because that's his family, Murphy is most likely dead.
We don't know how many of Harry's friends and family make it through battle ground.
Also I don't know how the council would go from dresden is dangerous he needs to be kicked out to let's let dresden move warden operations from Edinburgh the fortress of the White council to Chicago. Most likely as a reward for defeating the titan they would keep him in the council but would want to keep Harry close in case they need to remove him, that's the white councils style.
Edinburgh is also 35 mins from Chicago walking through the never never, so Harry could commute.

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2020, 06:03:39 PM »
Marcone won’t hand over the castle, but if he ends up owing Harry a favour in BG, or Mab purchases it for him then yes, Harry could end up owning it. A castle abode of the Winter Knight would help forge a connection in the Never Never to Arctis Tor, and perhaps allow Harry to forge one through the Never Never to the cottage on Demonreach, much nicer than Lea’s Murder Garden. Lea may have a green thumb, but the rest of her hands are red right up to the elbow.

Commute? To a different time zone for the single parent of a school age child? Much easier to have someone like Chandler do a daily courier run with relevant reports.

Luccio still has all her experience and knowledge, so a senior Council position is still likely.

Harry is The Warden, the Senior Council cannot take that away from him and everyone will know (Lara, Listens and Eb know at the moment), their options are have to Harry in the tent p@ssing out, or outside the tent p@ssing in. If the main surviving body of Wardens look to Harry rather than the Merlin, then Harry gets to dictate terms like he did on becoming a Warden.

His terms I think would be along the lines

1. Continues to work out of Chicago;
2. Warlocks are rehabilitated or get the Demonreach Treatment, no executions;
3.Amnesty for all Wizard level talents who have not broken the laws (Mort and Elaine);
4. He continues to work as Winter Knight on behalf of all the Accorded Nations;
5. Better treatment and recognition of the Paranetters;
6. Gets to put up a Basketball goal in his new HQ

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2020, 06:05:14 PM »
Harry is not going to move Maggie to Demonreach, it's a supernatural toxic waste dump. Harry doesn't need to own the castle, he just needs to have his digs there. Neither can he be an eternal guest.  Guests like fish start to stink after three days.  The BFS was designed to protect those at risk and it seems to fill the bill on what Harry needs.  And apartment there would give him access to his former workshop.  And winning some brownie points from the Swartelves could get him all the comforts of home.  The basement is protected from the Never Never and he knows the neighborhood.  In any case he has to live somewhere.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2020, 06:15:40 PM »
Perhaps Battle Ground is the book where Harry finally gets over his hatred of Marcone -- Harry works on cordial terms with much worse monsters than Marcone all the time. Heck, even the Svartalves are actually pretty monstrous (remember the Svartalves in B is for Bigfoot?) if you're not strong enough to stand up to them.

The Castle isn't precisely Marcone's building, even if he paid for it, it's the BFS headquarters. And Harry could definitely join the BFS in some semi-formal capacity that comes with an apartment and a basement lab. Heck, even if all he does is update and maintain the wards to pay the rent, they'd be nuts not to want him there.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2020, 06:20:39 PM »
Perhaps Battle Ground is the book where Harry finally gets over his hatred of Marcone -- Harry works on cordial terms with much worse monsters than Marcone all the time. Heck, even the Svartalves are actually pretty monstrous (remember the Svartalves in B is for Bigfoot?) if you're not strong enough to stand up to them.

The Castle isn't precisely Marcone's building, even if he paid for it, it's the BFS headquarters. And Harry could definitely join the BFS in some semi-formal capacity that comes with an apartment and a basement lab. Heck, even if all he does is update and maintain the wards to pay the rent, they'd be nuts not to want him there.
They soulgazed. Harry knows exactly what Marcone is. If he gets over his current feelings of Marcone it will tell us nothing good about Harry.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 26, 2020, 07:04:58 PM »
I'm not expecting him to decide that Marcone's a good guy -- he's not. It's just Harry's reflexive violent threats against Marcone every time they work together that's a bit tired. Way back in Storm Front, it was necessary to make sure Marcone didn't see him as prey. At this point, Harry should be more confident in his power and not need the threats and posturing to hide his fear.