Author Topic: Is Eb the Bad Guy?  (Read 10008 times)

Offline sayyadina

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Is Eb the Bad Guy?
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2020, 01:14:38 AM »
I am certainly leaning more towards Eb is bad or nfected right now, or at the very least there are some massive things we don't know about his past. What exactly do we know about Harry's grandmother/Eb's wife? Or even his family growing up?

Part of what bothered me the most about Peace Talks was that it seemed like most of the book happened off screen, which was annoying. I'm just hoping Jim got his desire to experiment out of his system and now goes back to writing like he had the previous books since they all work so much better.

When Eb first showed up he didn't call Harry "hoss" once, which was one the first signs something was off with him. Don't know exactly what that means, but I really don't need to go into just how horribly bad it would be if the Blackstafd went darkside.

Normally I love speculating and theorizing after reading a new book, but I feel like I don't have enough of the story to really do much speculation yet.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2020, 04:04:54 AM »
I am certainly leaning more towards Eb is bad or nfected right now, or at the very least there are some massive things we don't know about his past. What exactly do we know about Harry's grandmother/Eb's wife? Or even his family growing up?

Part of what bothered me the most about Peace Talks was that it seemed like most of the book happened off screen, which was annoying. I'm just hoping Jim got his desire to experiment out of his system and now goes back to writing like he had the previous books since they all work so much better.

When Eb first showed up he didn't call Harry "hoss" once, which was one the first signs something was off with him. Don't know exactly what that means, but I really don't need to go into just how horribly bad it would be if the Blackstafd went darkside.

Normally I love speculating and theorizing after reading a new book, but I feel like I don't have enough of the story to really do much speculation yet.

I still don't think Eb is bad or Nem infected,  however he maybe suffering from a form of wizard dementia, and the stress is too much for him.  Or alternatively it isn't really him, but a Skinwalker. 
I agree about the writing, it is hard to get around, hopefully the second part of the book will make it all come together. 

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 03, 2020, 04:28:09 AM »
Everyone who was exposed to enthiu could have acted funny afterwards... For the same reason harry takes a shower after meeting with Mother Winter. The aura bleed off.

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 03, 2020, 12:02:27 PM »

I think we're going to find that a number of the "deleted scenes" -- like the wardens' meeting before the talks -- will be where various parties discussed the distractions and misdirections. Like in Skin Game, when we got Harry's meeting with Kringle out of sequence, so we could enjoy the reveal.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 03, 2020, 12:45:44 PM »
I think we're going to find that a number of the "deleted scenes" -- like the wardens' meeting before the talks -- will be where various parties discussed the distractions and misdirections. Like in Skin Game, when we got Harry's meeting with Kringle out of sequence, so we could enjoy the reveal.

Or be pissed because of the confusion.. ::)   One can go to that well once too often and the effectiveness goes down.  1] Because it becomes too predictable. 2] It begins to smack of sloppy and lazy writing.  It isn't just the warden's meeting missing here, but the meeting between Lara and Mab before they pop up in the Monstermobile, a conversation between Thomas and Justine about just how much danger she really is in from the Hunger..  In a case like this would Thomas have perhaps pushed for her to abort?  Can one even abort this kind of pregnancy?  Or would the Hunger protect itself?  Or would Justine totally refuse?  Where is the conversation between Lara and Thomas about this?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 03, 2020, 01:57:53 PM »
Or be pissed because of the confusion.. ::)   One can go to that well once too often and the effectiveness goes down.  1] Because it becomes too predictable. 2] It begins to smack of sloppy and lazy writing.  It isn't just the warden's meeting missing here, but the meeting between Lara and Mab before they pop up in the Monstermobile, a conversation between Thomas and Justine about just how much danger she really is in from the Hunger..  In a case like this would Thomas have perhaps pushed for her to abort?  Can one even abort this kind of pregnancy?  Or would the Hunger protect itself?  Or would Justine totally refuse?  Where is the conversation between Lara and Thomas about this?
Lara did't know  ;D

Harry told her during their sparring session. He scored a hit with that one.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2020, 02:49:01 PM »
Lara did't know  ;D

Actually here to quote someone who has posted a lot here, I think Lara is lying. ::)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2020, 02:53:57 PM »
Actually here to quote someone who has posted a lot here, I think Lara is lying. ::)
She took a hit for that one. And I think it completely in character Thomas told Harry before Lara. It is something personal after all.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 02:55:52 PM by Arjan »
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2020, 04:02:02 PM »
She took a hit for that one. And I think it completely in character Thomas told Harry before Lara. It is something personal after all.

I don't think so, or rather we don't know, we don't even know how far along Justine is.  We still do not know why suddenly Lara is asking Mab to pay up for favors owed.

Or Lara is just clever enough to pretend ignorance to cover for herself.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 04:18:26 PM by Mira »

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2020, 05:51:46 PM »
  I don't think so, or rather we don't know, we don't even know how far along Justine is.

Actually, I think we do... Thomas says "She's going to be fed upon continuously for the next seven and a half months." So presumably a month and a half in.

It isn't just the warden's meeting missing here, but the meeting between Lara and Mab before they pop up in the Monstermobile, a conversation between Thomas and Justine about just how much danger she really is in from the Hunger..

We wouldn't expect to see those conversations (except the wardens one), since the DF is all first-person, and Harry wouldn't be there for those.

Offline ellarite

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2020, 07:25:54 PM »
I don't think Eb is necessarily the bad guy BUT I do believe that he's willing to perform heinous acts in a twisted attempt to save Harry.

Why?  Well Harry has gone down the same path as his mother Margaret LeFay and got mixed up with some shady folks:
 Margaret:Raith, Lea and Adriana.
 Harry: Mab, White court, Red court, Denarians, Hades, etc. 

I think that Eb told the truth about separating himself from his loved ones (Margaret) and as a result she died.

He then refused to claim Harry UNTIL the boy was about to be executed.  At which point, Eb stepped up and trained Harry in isolation with a specific moral compass.  This resulted in Harry becoming a private eye who wanted to help folks.

However, Eb kept the family connection a secret from Harry...maybe to protect himself or Harry. 

Now Eb sees Harry's connection with the most powerful and potentially dangerous characters in Dresdenville.  Also, the wizards are whispering amongst themselves and Harry is both powerful and obstinate as hell. Oh no. 

So Eb, being the Blackstaff, is deploying every skill and tactic available to SAVE HARRY!  I will not be surprised if the following is revealed:

1.  Eb mind-screwed Carlos to track Harry & add him to security detail.

2.  Eb magicked his way into Svaltalves compound to get eyes on Harry then later set it on fire to allow Thomas an opportunity to kill Etri.

3.  Eb mind-jacked Thomas to kill.  (#2/#3 effectively removes Harry's and Maggie's home-base and forces Harry to find a safe-haven from Maggie).

4.  Eb has mind-jacked Harry (or his a tracker on him) which is how he keeps finding Harry in the damndest of places:  Outside Justines apartment, on a dock in a marina.

5.  I think Eb summoned the cornerhounds because...we only saw them the one time, with Eb.  He also conveniently drops the "You're a Starborn, Harry" info.  Probably designed for Harry to seek his mentor for answers.

So I don't think Eb is necessarily the bad guy but I do think he has some deep/twisted shame from his past (Lefay? Wife? Work?) and is hellbent on saving Harry at any and all cost.

Side note:  did anyone notice his deep rage upon finding out that Thomas is his Wampire grandson?  I'm starting to wonder if Lefay herself is a product of Ebs wife and another Wampire.  Maybe the HUNGER killed Mrs. Eb during her pregnancy.
---Could create another parallel...Harry had a kid with a pseudo-Rampire.  Hmmmmm...

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2020, 08:02:00 PM »
Actually, I think we do... Thomas says "She's going to be fed upon continuously for the next seven and a half months." So presumably a month and a half in.

That is merely one missed cycle, a lot of things can account for that.  What if Justine isn't pregnant at all? 
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 08:04:55 PM by Mira »

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2020, 08:13:10 PM »
That is merely one missed cycle, a lot of things can account for that.  What if Justine isn't pregnant at all?
There are tests for that.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 03, 2020, 08:54:56 PM »
I don't think Eb is necessarily the bad guy BUT I do believe that he's willing to perform heinous acts in a twisted attempt to save Harry.

Why?  Well Harry has gone down the same path as his mother Margaret LeFay and got mixed up with some shady folks:
 Margaret:Raith, Lea and Adriana.
 Harry: Mab, White court, Red court, Denarians, Hades, etc. 

I think that Eb told the truth about separating himself from his loved ones (Margaret) and as a result she died.

He then refused to claim Harry UNTIL the boy was about to be executed.  At which point, Eb stepped up and trained Harry in isolation with a specific moral compass.  This resulted in Harry becoming a private eye who wanted to help folks.

However, Eb kept the family connection a secret from Harry...maybe to protect himself or Harry. 

Now Eb sees Harry's connection with the most powerful and potentially dangerous characters in Dresdenville.  Also, the wizards are whispering amongst themselves and Harry is both powerful and obstinate as hell. Oh no. 

So Eb, being the Blackstaff, is deploying every skill and tactic available to SAVE HARRY!  I will not be surprised if the following is revealed:

1.  Eb mind-screwed Carlos to track Harry & add him to security detail.

2.  Eb magicked his way into Svaltalves compound to get eyes on Harry then later set it on fire to allow Thomas an opportunity to kill Etri.

3.  Eb mind-jacked Thomas to kill.  (#2/#3 effectively removes Harry's and Maggie's home-base and forces Harry to find a safe-haven from Maggie).

4.  Eb has mind-jacked Harry (or his a tracker on him) which is how he keeps finding Harry in the damndest of places:  Outside Justines apartment, on a dock in a marina.

5.  I think Eb summoned the cornerhounds because...we only saw them the one time, with Eb.  He also conveniently drops the "You're a Starborn, Harry" info.  Probably designed for Harry to seek his mentor for answers.

So I don't think Eb is necessarily the bad guy but I do think he has some deep/twisted shame from his past (Lefay? Wife? Work?) and is hellbent on saving Harry at any and all cost.

Side note:  did anyone notice his deep rage upon finding out that Thomas is his Wampire grandson?  I'm starting to wonder if Lefay herself is a product of Ebs wife and another Wampire.  Maybe the HUNGER killed Mrs. Eb during her pregnancy.
---Could create another parallel...Harry had a kid with a pseudo-Rampire.  Hmmmmm...

One of the questions I occasionally toss about- does Ebenezer know that the Leanansidhe is Harry's faery godmother?

Does anyone, aside from Harry?

That's a pipeline far up the Winter hierarchy that explains a lot of things.

For instance, you don't trust Harry Dresden, and locations in the NeverNever connect directly to places in the real world that have a sympathetic connection. Harry's home is opposite the home of one of the nastiest, most powerful Fae. Pretty bespoke statement on Harry's character- if one does not know that the connection is familial (of a sort). It's the opposite of his little-known connection to the Knights of the Cross or pet Foo Dog.

Not knowing that Harry is the godson- the *family*- of one of the nastiest Fae, and that his half-brother is a Whampire that shares something like 95% of his "screw'em" character, and that somehow he knew not just who the Kemmlerites were (given he's the wrong generation) and demonstrated an advanced knowledge of necromancy in the process- Butcher's done a great job of making Harry look reasonable from Harry's point of view but you really have to think about how he looks from the outside.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 03, 2020, 10:55:57 PM »
Does anyone, aside from Harry?
Michael does. Mab does. I think Molly does. And that's just what I recall of people who have been on page when it's mentioned.

Butcher's done a great job of making Harry look reasonable from Harry's point of view but you really have to think about how he looks from the outside.
And he's also hinted, if not stated, throughout the series that Harry is reasonably viewed with fear and suspicion.