Author Topic: [PT SPOILERS] Harry's Basement  (Read 1558 times)

Offline mrbassman

• Participant
    • View Profile
[PT SPOILERS] Harry's Basement
« on: July 21, 2020, 06:56:55 AM »
The door was his door. Presumably it was closed as he always left it closed. If it wasn't burnt or destroyed that means the contents were preserved.

Therefore Marcone has Little Chicago.  And all of Harry's notebooks. Doh.

Aside. Where/ How did Harry get the info in the binders like Chauncey and the infamous binder he threatened ivy with?

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: [PT SPOILERS] Harry's Basement
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2020, 06:03:01 PM »
Fire might have swept through the paper quick enough to not melt everything or burn the trap door. I find that unlikely, but possible. Slightly more likely is that fire got down there and then the building or a portion of it collapsed on the sub-basement and smothered the fire. My point is that there's enough wiggle room that Jim can plausibly have whatever he wants saved or destroyed in the fire.

Hard work. He said of Toot's name all the way back in SF something like "you wouldn't believe what I had to do to get it."

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2020, 07:07:03 PM »
The subbasement would have been a swimming pool.  Between the water and Harry's absence it would have become a table with a pewter model of Chicago, no magic left.   This was one of the problems with it, ongoing maintenance. And if I believed Jim about anything, somewhere he declared it gone. And unless Marcone got to them quickly nothing on paper would have survived the water damage. Of course that is the real world versus Jim's whims.

But I've always believed that Harry would take it and make it his home before the end.  He's going to be owed some favors after this.  Marcone especially, since he is the host. Probably the Swartelves and who knows who else.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2020, 07:17:55 PM »
Forgot about the water. I doubt anything but the physical survived, and likely not paper in any useful form.

I too want Harry to end up with Castle Dresden.

A thought I've always had is that Marcone ends up naming Harry as his successor after the series when Marcone is an old man and Harry is just a young wizard of sixty or seventy years. It's one of those things where Harry can't justify letting anyone else do it, but he also can't justify doing it himself. It would be Marcone's last f-u to Harry.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2020, 11:20:07 PM »
I kind of have this image of at the end of Battlefield of an exhausted Harry curled up in a foetal position on the trap door, gently caressing the ring and muttering “My  Preciousssss” over and over again.

Marcone is so disturbed by this that he gives him the entire building.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 11:23:41 PM by Conspiracy Theorist »

Offline The_Sibelis

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2020, 12:42:42 PM »
Ooohh dear me we arrre in trouble 😁
It seems my theory that his Lab and LC survived came to pass and it didn't go up in the conflagration or blow up when LC released it's energy. 😈 This made me very, very happy...
Harry winning the BFS from Marcone would track up as a nice parallel to Merlin winning Edinburgh btw...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 12:47:34 PM by The_Sibelis »