Author Topic: Nicodemus theory spoilers, spoilers , spoilers  (Read 4739 times)

Offline vultur

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Nicodemus theory spoilers, spoilers , spoilers
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2020, 06:19:40 PM »
I think Nic would prefer not to kill Harry. (He'd much prefer Harry as a Denarian.) Nic probably knows about Starborn, and I don't think he wants to see reality destroyed by the Outsiders.

Some of it is the increasing scope of the series, as well. Back in book 5 when Harry was "just" a powerful-but-fairly-inexperienced wizard dealing with sorcerers, vampires, and Nevernever "thug" demons, the Denarians were terrifyingly powerful. By book 15, Harry the Winter Knight with Soulfire is far more powerful, and has been involved in huge-scale supernatural battles in Changes and CD.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2020, 10:44:22 AM »
To ONLINE ClintACK, I really like your bit of wild speculation at the end.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2020, 12:40:06 PM »
I don't think we've seen Nicodemus's A game.  In all of his appearances, he's had a mission, and Harry has just been a pain in his ass.  Harry hasn't been Nicodemus's main target. 

Sure killing Harry was on his list of things to do in Skin Game, but if Nic got the goods and Harry survived, i don't think he would've lost any sleep.

Also Harry has always had a knight or two with him when he faced Nic.

The KoTC is the main factor. Try fighting Nicodemous without the knights and you'll see nick's A game. If Harry try that, he'll probably be dead without even knowing how.

Book 5 Harry barely survive even with the help of the knights. Book 10, Haryy would have died twice without fidellacchius. Book 15 is even more obvious. not only Harry has a veteran like Michael restored by the power of an archangel, the entire game is rigged by Mab from the start. Rather to say that Nick is defeated by Harry, it is more correct to say that Nick lost under Mab + Uriel's hand. Even with all that, Harry and team good is almost wiped out at the end if not for fidellacchius being restored almost miraculously which smells a lot like TWG's intervention.

I think the series show Nicodemous's badassery clear enough. Imagine how Harry will fair against Nicodemous without all those help.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline cptnspldng

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2020, 07:32:40 PM »
To ONLINE ClintACK, I really like your bit of wild speculation at the end.

I made the same observation regarding Nicodemus's potential elsewhere.
(click to show/hide)
Look, he said to his imagination, if this is how you're going to behave, I shan't bring you again.
(Terry Pratchett, "Going Postal")

What fresh Hell is this?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2020, 08:42:02 PM »
The KoTC is the main factor. Try fighting Nicodemous without the knights and you'll see nick's A game. If Harry try that, he'll probably be dead without even knowing how.

Book 5 Harry barely survive even with the help of the knights. Book 10, Haryy would have died twice without fidellacchius. Book 15 is even more obvious. not only Harry has a veteran like Michael restored by the power of an archangel, the entire game is rigged by Mab from the start. Rather to say that Nick is defeated by Harry, it is more correct to say that Nick lost under Mab + Uriel's hand. Even with all that, Harry and team good is almost wiped out at the end if not for fidellacchius being restored almost miraculously which smells a lot like TWG's intervention.

I think the series show Nicodemous's badassery clear enough. Imagine how Harry will fair against Nicodemous without all those help.
Except if you are up against Nicodemus a knight will be there. It is that balance thing:

“Oh, God, Harry!” she said. “Nicodemus, really? Is Sanya there?”
          “No,” I said, then amended it. “At least, not yet.”
          “A Knight will be there,” she said. “That’s how it works. And I’m on the way.”
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2020, 01:44:36 AM »
Except if you are up against Nicodemus a knight will be there. It is that balance thing:

Most of the time though, the KoTC rarely have an upper hand over Nico. We know that through Michael and Shiro's testimony in previous books. A lot of the time, the knights only manage to do damage control. To be fair, the only time we can say Nico is truly defeated is in skin game, and as I said before his defeat is due to the coordinated efford of Mab, Uriel, Harry, Marcone and may be even Hades + a bit of TWG's direct meddling. In my opinion, Nico's defeat in book 15 is justified.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Online vincentric

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 02:34:12 AM »
I think you guys are focusing on the wrong halves of these partnerships. Nicodemus is a big threat  but that is because Anduriel is partnered with him. Even bound as they are, the Denarians are some of the powers of the Dresdenverse. The brutal thugs are near peers to the elder powers of Summer and Winter. Their direct influence is limited by their mortal partners but they are still Fallen Angels will all their knowledge and power. Nic is merely the most competent and cooperative host they have acquired. By dint of that he is the leader and front man, but the Fallen are the ones ultimately calling the shots.