Author Topic: !!!SPOILERS!!! PEACE TALKS !!!SPOILERS!!!  (Read 16584 times)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
Re: !!!SPOILERS!!! PEACE TALKS !!!SPOILERS!!!
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 08:29:45 PM »
“Isn’t” - which bit ?

Because if Jim revealed something contrary to ‘I think...’ then I missed it.

Reread Christmas Eve

(click to show/hide)
Actually I don't think we can jump to any conclusions until the second book is out.

Offline SpacedCowboy

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 08:47:07 PM »
Ah, I misunderstood your comment :)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »
Ah, I misunderstood your comment :)

(click to show/hide)

I
(click to show/hide)

Offline cleoslemonade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »
With the grief that Harry has on Christmas Eve and him being in a happy relationship right now, it feels inevitable that Murphy's going to die. Which makes me booth dreading and looking forward to Battle Ground.

As for Peace Talks, I loved every scene, but in the end I felt really unsatisfied. There were so many Chekhov guns introduced that never went off/resolved (and will probably be coming into play in BG): Sanya's in town (flight delayed 7 times, LOL), lightsaber not cutting people, the Titan, Harry being kicked off the White Council, Ebeneezer's warning that Harry will be betrayed (he did kind of do that himself but I don't think that counts), why Thomas went assasin, Harry's conjuritis (which was almost done but I feel like isn't over yet), Rudolph's plot (does it even matter who he's working for at this point? The other fish to fry are so much bigger that it feels kind of irrelevant).

Some other ones, like the hint that Little Chicago survived, were subtle enough that it didn't bother me. I'd be fine with that not getting resolved for a few books; it's a nice teaser. Ditto with the favor that Harry owes Molly. That can be a long game.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 10:23:55 PM »
Mab may have allowed this to get the Accord powers to act as one and shake out blowhards like the Ghouls, she needs a working alliance for the BAT.

You know keeping the Lab mean’t the connection to Leas garden may have survived, protecting the BFS from the Never Never.

Offline Wrane

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 11:42:59 PM »
First thoughts by subject

Molly's Favor
(click to show/hide)

BFS
(click to show/hide)

swords
(click to show/hide)

Thomas
(click to show/hide)

The senior council
(click to show/hide)

Lara
(click to show/hide)

Summer Court
(click to show/hide)

Offline cleoslemonade

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2020, 12:33:08 AM »
A terrible thought:
The favor:
(click to show/hide)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 15, 2020, 01:24:56 AM »
Am I the only one that feels like some characters were a little... off?  Different?  Not acting like themselves?
(click to show/hide)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2020, 01:49:18 AM »
On what kind of pressure could make Thomas attempt to assassinate the Etri(is that right?). 
(click to show/hide)

Another point.
(click to show/hide)

Lara,
(click to show/hide)

Was Eb's wife killed by a White Vampire,
(click to show/hide)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 02:05:11 AM »
On what kind of pressure could make Thomas attempt to assassinate the Etri(is that right?). 
(click to show/hide)

Another point.
(click to show/hide)

Lara,
(click to show/hide)

Was Eb's wife killed by a White Vampire,
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 15, 2020, 03:49:26 AM »
As for why Thomas did it:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 04:09:46 AM by Arjan »
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2020, 04:59:00 AM »
Justine
(click to show/hide)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 15, 2020, 06:14:29 AM »
It would be a hell of a sucker punch if Eb was right about Thomas, Lara and co.

I think it's still fairly likely it was Lara who arranged the hit. I still don't know to what end but perhaps it was to keep Dresden distracted. It seems likely that if Thomas had wanted to kill Etri, Etri would be dead. So I think Thomas purposely screwed up the hit. I think it is plausible that Justine is actually not as nice as we thought. It often fools Dresden when there is a woman upset (especially a vulnerable one).

Morris -
(click to show/hide)

Grifter - I think you are correct about the characters being a little off. But they were essentially the same. Although Sanya seems to have gained about 40lbs of muscle. I swear he was much leaner in Death Masks. Harry, Eb, Carlos etc are all really about where they should be. Harry has been through so much. If he seems a bit cynical it's because he is. He has been through enough. But I wouldn't have said he was depressed. A bit stressed obviously. But he's in love. And he seemed to be enjoying his time with Murphy. I do think he feels a bit out of time. Part of that is getting older. Part of which was having a lost few years. Ebeneezer is really just revealing who he always was. That was a point made rather clearly. Harry, as people often do with their idols, saw him as superhuman. Carlos is different because life has made him so. I do wonder if Carlos will make it. What Molly did to him changed him.

Cleo - Scary theory! Harry would probably go to war though again for Maggie. Don't know how many more wars winter can fight. They currently have at least three on the go. I agree about the Chekhov's guns. But there will plenty of book to resolve them in the follow up. I think the Murphy thing is pretty obvious, has been for a while. Harry wouldn't cry over nothing. Also, not sure about the whole Little Chicago thing. But we'll see.

Wrane -
1. Molly's favor has been repaid. It was the ring. And the suit.
2. He might get his old home back. But I wouldn't be surprised if he chooses a more secure location. Remember he is staying at the Carpenters for Christmas. And clearly the BFS headquarters isn't.
3. Purpose of the Swords is to balance the Denarians. But the Knights also exist to fight evil etc. Michael killed a Dragon after all. And destroyed one of Mavra's nests. And many, many other monsters.
4. Probably most if not all of the Senior Council will die by the end. But in what order and how quickly is hard to say. Unless most of the Senior Wizards on the planet die I don't see how Chandler would get on the Senior Council. Would hardly need to call it that as there wouldn't be many left!
5. I disagree. Unless the favor is to Winter, it's Harry's favor. Mab gets no say. She could buy favors off Harry. But she would have to give him something of equal value. Or Harry could gift them to her in order to pay his debts. But there must always be balance, as that's the rule.
6. Interesting idea. But as currently Titania isn't even talking to Mab I don't see it happening. I wouldn't be surprised if Titania was actually working actively against Mab. Harry has all he needs to bind the Titan but he has to force her to the shores of Demonreach. Currently, I don't think he is capable of it. He would have to trick her...which might not be easy considering she likely doesn't view time quite the same way as Harry. She seems closer to the Mothers than Mab in power (although it's difficult to say if she is of their level...). But perhaps Mab and Titania will team up to force her there or keep her distracted. I doubt Harry will be able to bind the Titan easily.

Spaced Cowboy - I am surprised you read it so differently. It very much seemed to me that Mab is far from uber-powerful. In fact, Harry got a front row seat in a title fight in a weight class he hasn't seen. The only things stronger than Ethniu so far seem to be the Archangels and the Mothers. Possibly regular Angels...but we'll see. It would be quite the cop out if so. The only being at the Peace Talks stronger than Mab was Ferrovax (although I suspect even if Vadderung isn't outright stronger than Mab, he fights dirty. Like Harry). And all of the divine beings present were freaking terrified of Ethniu. King Corb was probably in the same league as Vadderung etc. But all of them were a weight class below Ethniu. Although, it seems Vadderung was once stronger even than her.

Remember, Mab herself is more like Vadderung as doesn't always fight straight forward (even when she can). Because she knows those fights are too easy to lose. She will find other ways to defeat the Last Titan.

Offline Conspiracy Theorist

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 15, 2020, 11:30:29 AM »
As regards the faithsaber going through the wash

(click to show/hide)

Offline Grifter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 15, 2020, 12:00:08 PM »
It very much seemed to me that Mab is far from uber-powerful. In fact, Harry got a front row seat in a title fight in a weight class he hasn't seen.
Mab, effectively a top tier Mage, goaded into acting more like her host than her mantle, in the middle of summer, took a direct hit from a Goddess/Titan, the tankiest of all Tanks, and was up and walking a few minutes later. 

Methinks she might have held her own a bit better under different circumstances.  Methinks Titania would have faired better, it being at the peak of her power and her feeding off emotion (which is her thing, not Mab's).  Instead, Mab got owned for a minute, and recovered in time to show everyone that she wasn't out of it.