Author Topic: New Drop Chapter Three  (Read 13213 times)

Offline BrainFireBob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: New Drop Chapter Three
« Reply #60 on: June 22, 2020, 06:21:21 PM »
No.

There are three kinds of authorial insights for a work in progress.

Statements of intent: These are subject to change
Statements of fact/explanation/clarification: These are revelatory, canon statements about why who did what and why. These are things the reader waits for the author to reveal, because they are already part of the story. What happened at Justin's that last day, for instance. These should be treated generally as canon factual.
Statements of "I never considered that, and will now make something up."

Butcher has no intent of bringing in the Oblivion War, so appearances by Oblivion War opportunences are flavor text for the reader- the reader knows the "why" of the Archive, if theycread the shorts. For story purposes, in the "main" plot, it has been sufficient to know the "what" of the Archive.

Shorts are canon, but it's poor writing practice to make them prime narrative required. They're expansions, not story progressions.

Now, if Butcher WoJ that Peabody's swamp-smelling portal was to where Cowl was whrn accessing the Deeps, that's a WoJ of the first type.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 22, 2020, 06:43:17 PM »
But unless it is written in the book, things that "already happened" can change. For instance, Jim could have written GS thinking that the man who hears Harry was Tera West child, but he could decide that in book 18 things he will have him again and having him being Mortimer's long lost brother and not at all related with Tera. He has every right to change any background he wishes, as long as he is not contradicting what is written.
No but Mab will die at the start of the apocalyse, Molly will be queen and gets a nice litter of changelings with Ramirez  ;D

That was my point. Morris theory remind me to all the times Ms Duck spend spreading around her Molly is Mab theory. It involved time travel I believe, but you should have witness the commotion here in the forums when Molly became the Winter Lady (thus effectively in the right path to become Mab). It was like an explosion  :).
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 22, 2020, 06:57:23 PM »
OK.  WOJ's are off the table for arguments. ::)
Not necessarily. They give a good idea about how he thinks about it at that moment and what he wants to tell about it. Ideas about how he interprets things. But a woj from ten years back is to necessarily exactly how it works now.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 23, 2020, 12:47:05 AM »
Not necessarily. They give a good idea about how he thinks about it at that moment and what he wants to tell about it. Ideas about how he interprets things. But a woj from ten years back is to necessarily exactly how it works now.

Exactly,  and it may come as a total surprise to some, but Jim stuck to some of the "how it was going to be" from ten years back it may not work at all.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 23, 2020, 02:03:06 AM »
Morris theory remind me to all the times Ms Duck spend spreading around her Molly is Mab theory. It involved time travel I believe, but you should have witness the commotion here in the forums when Molly became the Winter Lady (thus effectively in the right path to become Mab). It was like an explosion  :).
I not going to support my theory, and it doesn't matter if anyone believes it.  It's the ending that I'm creating in my head for the books I won't get to read. It needn't be right, it just needs to match whatever facts I have when I get to whatever will be my last book.  More than likely Battle Ground.  I pretty much have it in my head now.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 23, 2020, 03:04:31 AM »
Morris, I am confused? Did you feel like I was trying to offend you or asking you to "defend" your theory? If that was the case, nothing further than my intentions, so I am very sorry. I intended to praise you by comparing it with, what I believe, it is the shinier example of what could have been seen as a crazy theory many years because it realizes. Also, Ms Duck is the best  :)

Besides, everyone has their own theories. One of mine is Mab is going to ask Harry to kill her.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 23, 2020, 10:34:27 AM »
Nope, not offended.  Not in the least. I just wish the publication day would get here. :)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 23, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »
Morris, I am confused? Did you feel like I was trying to offend you or asking you to "defend" your theory? If that was the case, nothing further than my intentions, so I am very sorry. I intended to praise you by comparing it with, what I believe, it is the shinier example of what could have been seen as a crazy theory many years because it realizes. Also, Ms Duck is the best  :)

Besides, everyone has their own theories. One of mine is Mab is going to ask Harry to kill her.

I rather like that theory.  Forgive me if I step on it too much not having read the full theory.  Anyway, I can see Mab getting infected, too far gone for the ice cure, but not so far gone that
she has totally let it control her.  So as you say, she will ask her knight to kill her.  This puts
Harry totally on the spot because while he knows it has to be done, he also knows who will take
her place.  What ever hope there had been for Molly to retain her human soul will be lost once
she becomes queen.  It results in a show down with Uriel.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 23, 2020, 03:28:30 PM »
My original theory was just "a feeling". It was long before Nemesis appeared in the books, but yes lately I think it will play just how you say it.
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 23, 2020, 03:46:36 PM »
I rather like that theory.  Forgive me if I step on it too much not having read the full theory.  Anyway, I can see Mab getting infected, too far gone for the ice cure, but not so far gone that
she has totally let it control her.  So as you say, she will ask her knight to kill her.  This puts
Harry totally on the spot because while he knows it has to be done, he also knows who will take
her place.  What ever hope there had been for Molly to retain her human soul will be lost once
Oh that would be bad. But I can totally see it happening. Poor Molly. Poor Harry.

And poor Mab! I like Mab, I don't want her to die.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 23, 2020, 03:47:54 PM »
I don't want it either, I will be happy if I am wrong
Missing you, Md 

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 23, 2020, 03:55:30 PM »
So, let's hope you are wrong, but the theory sounds good. ;)

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 23, 2020, 05:55:40 PM »
Molly and Uriel will get along quite well. They both have their purpose and they seem to understand and even respect each other. I do not see any problems between those two.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 23, 2020, 06:29:59 PM »
Molly and Uriel will get along quite well. They both have their purpose and they seem to understand and even respect each other. I do not see any problems between those two.

Yes, I can see them working very well together, Uriel and Mab work well together when need be. Problem is Molly's soul, does it get sacrificed here?  What would her parents say to that?  Does it pose a dilemma for Uriel?  Can you see him willingly let a human soul slip away?  Especially this soul considering who her father is.  Can he put a protection in place?  Or was Molly's soul screwed long ago when she made her original choices that led up to this moment under free will and there is nothing Uriel can do?

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 23, 2020, 07:15:51 PM »
@Mira
Why would Molly's soul be lost? I don't see it that way. Does Mab have no soul? Do the fae have no souls? I can't remember having read anything about that.