Author Topic: Who Benefits? Discussion of the players behind the scenes  (Read 3765 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Who Benefits? Discussion of the players behind the scenes
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2020, 05:45:10 PM »
But if I recall he says it wouldn't be too much of an imbalance to let Dresden know Maggie was both his daughter and alive. He also through in that Dresden was her only hope. Perhaps Uriel can feel Dresden's pain that intimately. Either way, Uriel is just as manipulative (perhaps more so) as Mab or Anduriel or Lasciel. He does it with "the Greater Good" in mind but ultimately by choosing to say something, by being involved at all, he is taking a position and influencing events. This says a lot about Uriel, to my mind.
Yes to all of that, except I'm not sure if I would got with manipulative. The definition of manipulative often contains words like selfish, unfair, or unscrupulous. I'd probably go with calculating.

I'm more worried about Vadderung helping Harry for his own purposes than Uriel.

Achangel62 - are you saying that these "factions" did want the Reds gone but not as quickly or fully as it happened in Changes? It seems counter-intuitive. If you want them gone at all then you want them wiped out. Why would the Black Council or whoever want to only kill them slowly or cripple them? Same with Mab or Vadderung (who benefited from the destruction of the Reds).
It has been suggested several times that the Black Council is pitting forces against one another in a manner that leaves everyone worse off. A decisive victory one way or the other would be counter to this strategy ... unless it leads to more chaos like we see when the Fomor emerge.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2020, 10:58:16 PM »
... And I know Langtry was in America (for whatever reason) during the French and Indian War which I imagine he fought on the side of the British American colonies and Ebenezar fought alongside the French. Jim hasn't said which side each were on (unless I am mistaken) but it makes the most sense for Eb to be fighting for the little guys. Perhaps this is how he and Listens-to-Wind became such good friends ... 

I'm pretty sure Eb & LtW fought on opposite sides; WoJ says they had a pretty epic duel.  Obviously, they (eventually) reconciled, but I've no clear notion who was on which side of the broader mundane/political conflict, or what may have been happening behind the scenes, on the supernatural stage.

Offline Archangel62

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2020, 01:21:43 AM »

Achangel62 - are you saying that these "factions" did want the Reds gone but not as quickly or fully as it happened in Changes? It seems counter-intuitive. If you want them gone at all then you want them wiped out. Why would the Black Council or whoever want to only kill them slowly or cripple them? Same with Mab or Vadderung (who benefited from the destruction of the Reds).

My thoughts are that it might have been the difference between a bombing run and a controlled demolition. Removing them the way that happened as fast and direct as ended up occurring meant that there was now a hole to fill and if they didn't have agents set up either some other faction could fill that void or their people might be able to take it but might not be fully prepared. They also may have hoped to further weaken the white council with having them keep fighting and struggling. The time honored tradition of 'let's you and him fight"

Also a longer fight might mean that they could make pacts and deals, get information, tools or other resources from an increasingly desperate red court. They also might be able to find agents here and there that they could set up to handle other tasks.
I like to think, I like to debate, I like to argue, and I like to analyze, I'm trying to find that perfect zen between brilliant investigator and obnoxious gadfly.