Author Topic: Ebeniezers special staff  (Read 2268 times)

Offline DABSLABOG

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Ebeniezers special staff
« on: November 12, 2019, 12:41:17 AM »
So I was reading cold days again and I just reached the part in which harry is talking to mother summer. Summer mentions in passing that mother winter lost her walking stick. I realized this has to be the black staff. What does everyone else think. I tried to find a post about this and couldn't.

Offline Regenbogen

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ebeniezers special staff
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2019, 06:37:30 AM »
There have been theories before. I couldn't find everything, but I remember having read some threads about it. Just one example:
https://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,52575.0.html

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2019, 12:15:39 AM »
I think "Eb's blackstaff  IS  M.W.'s walking-stick" is the default assumption here on the Paranet, for most.

Also that -- eventually -- Harry will pick it up and it will be his instead of Ebenezer's.

Unlike others, I suspect it will add to or magnifiy is problems with the W.K. mantle, rather than helping him.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2019, 05:56:43 PM »
Jim confirmed it without confirming it.

What are you going to tell us about who stole Mother Winter’s walking stick and the person who has it now? Uh, we’ll get there at some point. You should be able to figure it out, because it’s in the book. That’s stuff that I, uh, I don’t like to throw lots of new stuff in when there’s old stuff that I haven’t used yet, I’m fundamentally lazy as a writer, I like to make things connect. There’s already been a half dozen people who said, “Hey wait, it must be this!” and I’m like, yeah. But yeah, that was, uh, I’m kind of tempted to write, I keep being tempted to write the French-Indian War in the Dresden Files universe. Because it’s really interesting, there were a lot of things going on at that point in time. Except, to do that, I’ll have to learn about the French-Indian War.

Context: Ebenezer and the Merlin were both involved in the French and Indian War. So he talks about the Mother Winter's walking stick, then an event previously confirmed to involve Ebenezer as if they're related.

There's also another WoJ somewhere else where he pretty much responds so sarcastically that it's confirmation. Like, someone asks him, and he goes, "What?! Why on earth would you think that?! That's crazy!"