Author Topic: What questions should Harry be asking?  (Read 17257 times)

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: What questions should Harry be asking?
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2020, 10:08:00 PM »
No, it was in one of the book signing videos on YouTube from years ago. Don't remember which one. Also, being that it was from years ago, he could have changed his tune on the relationship between Mab and Harry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DcWwAtEiw&feature=youtu.be&t=1673
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2020, 11:00:24 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_DcWwAtEiw&feature=youtu.be&t=1673

Actually I think that answer is inconclusive.  Titania, yes, he says she is nervous about Harry, but Mab is keeping her enemies close.  I'd argue that yeah, that holds true for the books, Titania, she has never gotten over Aurora's death, or that Harry engineered it.  Nor apparently is she getting along with Mab, they aren't speaking as of Peace Talks.  Mab, I think is a little more complicated, and it is reflected in the books.  We know she plays four dimensional chess, and this is how she may be playing Harry, "keep your friends close, but your enemies closer" type thing.  However that isn't exactly how she is treating Harry these days as she comes to respect him.  I think there was a turning point when she exposed the glimmer of vulnerable humanity in her when Maeve died to him.
But as Kringle said, there is a lot of pride in that creature. No, I doubt that they will ever become friends, Mab doesn't make friends, but I really don't think they are enemies either.  Even Harry is coming around, there are glimmers of that in Peace Talks, that Mab isn't all evil or his enemy.  Perhaps Molly's influence has something to do with that, and Rashid as well, Mab has a really difficult vital job to do and she doesn't suffer fools.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2020, 11:31:48 PM »
As Lea put it, she (as Mab's right-hand woman no less) is a "Trusted enemy", that's kinda just how Mab rolls. She doesn't do Allies/Friends.

I think of it as the Sauron problem. Sauron lost because in the end he couldn't envision a world where his enemies would want to destroy the Ring, instead of using it, because that's what Sauron would do.

Mab assumes that everyone is an enemy, because she assumes that everyone would act the way that she would, and she would be waiting in the wings for an opportunity to shank the big bitch in the Prison Yard.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 26, 2020, 04:33:05 AM »
As Lea put it, she (as Mab's right-hand woman no less) is a "Trusted enemy", that's kinda just how Mab rolls. She doesn't do Allies/Friends.

I think of it as the Sauron problem. Sauron lost because in the end he couldn't envision a world where his enemies would want to destroy the Ring, instead of using it, because that's what Sauron would do.

Mab assumes that everyone is an enemy, because she assumes that everyone would act the way that she would, and she would be waiting in the wings for an opportunity to shank the big bitch in the Prison Yard.

The reasoning works, but Sauron was evil, his view that everyone desired to dominate everyone else, thus desired the One Ring that Ruled Them All, and could be corrupted by that power.  Many were, but he lost because a small handful did not desire that power.  Mab can be ruthless and cruel, but that is what Winter is, however she isn't evil.  I think Harry has viewed her as an enemy, or his enemy because he is afraid of her and never understood her.  I think he is still afraid of her, but I also think he is beginning to understand her better.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 26, 2020, 07:43:36 AM »
I mean, she's totally evil though? She's not just evil, granted, but she is still (sometimes pointlessly) cruel, power-hungry, utterly ruthless, and entirely willing to do profoundly monstrous things in the name of her cause. Like, if Mab wasn't evil, we wouldn't need to have an entire Faction sitting in the wings with loaded shotguns watching her 24/7.

Not that she's required to be so for my argument anyway. She just needs to view everyone as just as power-hungry and ruthless as her- which she does.

I mean, just look at her views on Harry's relationship with Molly.

If you want to argue that Harry may come to consider her something other then an enemy, then sure, but we're talking about Mab, not Harry.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 07:46:37 AM by forumghost »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 26, 2020, 11:30:43 AM »
I mean, she's totally evil though? She's not just evil, granted, but she is still (sometimes pointlessly) cruel, power-hungry, utterly ruthless, and entirely willing to do profoundly monstrous things in the name of her cause. Like, if Mab wasn't evil, we wouldn't need to have an entire Faction sitting in the wings with loaded shotguns watching her 24/7.

No, she is Winter, a force of nature, and she is necessary.   I wouldn't call her power hungry, she hasn't crossed the line at the Stone Table.   Would you have your enemy guarding the gates that keeps realmonsters out?  Mab and her army does. 

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 26, 2020, 11:44:14 AM »
  No, she is Winter, a force of nature, and she is necessary.   I wouldn't call her power hungry, she hasn't crossed the line at the Stone Table.   Would you have your enemy guarding the gates that keeps real monsters out?  Mab and her army does.

So, because she's "Not as bad as the literal reality consuming eldritch horrors from beyond the stars" she's a good guy? Is that really your argument? Like, yeah, she's a necessary evil, but "Necessary Evil" is a two-part description, you know?

I mean Nick is also Anti-Outsider, but I don't see anyone arguing that he's actually just a misunderstood good guy probably because his Ass isn't as Phat.

Like, remember when Harry tries to call her out for hurting him after he refuses to do one of her favours, and she tells him that she didn't do it to coerce him, she just hurt him for spite?

Remember what she did to her last Knight? That went well beyond the realm of "Necessary" and into torture for tortures sake.

Like, she is literally the Queen of Evil Faeries.

Mab is a lot deeper then she initially appears, but that doesn't make her a Hero. She's a Villain that is pointed in a direction that benefits the universe.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 12:11:27 PM by forumghost »

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 26, 2020, 12:26:30 PM »
The white god terrorized Job and his family, killed everybody on Earth except for some old guy on a boat, killed the firstborn of Egypt and rained fire down on a city killing everybody. He/she then turned a person who disobeyed him by looking back at it into a pillar of salt.  Oh, and lest I forget, he/she sends you to burn in hell for an eternity if he/she doesn't appreciate that you blew him/her the bird at the Christmas party.  Clearly we need to be careful in the way we use the word evil when we talk about Gods and Monsters.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 26, 2020, 01:35:10 PM »
The white god terrorized Job and his family, killed everybody on Earth except for some old guy on a boat, killed the firstborn of Egypt and rained fire down on a city killing everybody. He/she then turned a person who disobeyed him by looking back at it into a pillar of salt.  Oh, and lest I forget, he/she sends you to burn in hell for an eternity if he/she doesn't appreciate that you blew him/her the bird at the Christmas party.  Clearly we need to be careful in the way we use the word evil when we talk about Gods and Monsters.

Yup, Mab is a force of nature, at times she can be very cruel, but is she any more cruel than the God described in the Old Testament?.  I agree, she isn't, nor is she evil, she does what she thinks must be done to keep the world safe from the Outside.  That can be cruel, and it can be ruthless, maybe if star born Harry does win in the BAT, she can begin to be merciful, if she survives it.  Summer is also a force of nature, she can be cruel also.  Would you call Titania evil?  She appears sweet and warm but she has shown herself to be every bit as vindictive as Mab ever was.  Titania knows that her daughter had to die because she was infected, yet in her grief she tries to get revenge.  The Mothers live side by side in harmony, crusty old Mother Winter who plays with meat cleavers and has spit that will burn holes in floors and sweet old apple cheeked Mother Summer, but don't be fooled by the sweetness.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 02:59:37 PM by Mira »

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 26, 2020, 06:47:23 PM »
Just my 2 cents. I believe Mab began considering Harry an enemy but I think that has slowly changed, and I don't mean because she succeeded in making him his WK but just because spending time with him. Harry has an effect on people and I think in this case Mab is included.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 26, 2020, 07:11:09 PM »
Just my 2 cents. I believe Mab began considering Harry an enemy but I think that has slowly changed, and I don't mean because she succeeded in making him his WK but just because spending time with him. Harry has an effect on people and I think in this case Mab is included.

I wouldn't disagree with that, I also think she has had some effect on him, he says as much in Peace Talks.  Not in doing evil, but in getting what he wants to achieve.  As in he thinks he is doing one thing, but the effect is something totally different and what he really wanted in the first place, it helped him to outwit Lara.  He even admitted, "Maybe I've been hanging out too much with Mab.."

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2020, 07:31:02 PM »
Yes, I agree about that.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2020, 10:38:59 PM »
Hope they are well locked up, it can end badly..
In transport, use, or the safe. Honestly, it's the things that no one worries about someone getting their little hands on that end causing the most harm. There's a reason big buckets have that picture on them.

Well, Harry is not you. He may react differently.
When it comes to guns, he's more like me than not. Though I admit I'm much more like Murphy here than Harry. Harry has already owned more guns than most people ever will. He carries. He recognizes their utility and knows the rules. He does take interest in weird and neat firearms/ammo.

I've managed to reach 68 and never felt the need to own one. And I lived in poorer neighborhoods.  However to each their own.  Oddly enough I moved to what would be considered a nicer neighbor and someone got murdered right behind my condo. With a knife. Toodles.
How many times has your door been kicked in ... by monsters?

And that's my point. You don't need constant danger to be prepared for danger. Premise 1: An interest and an excuse is more than good enough. Premise 2: Harry has an interest in magical items. Premise 3: He has an excuse to make a bunch of cool magical items. Conclusion: Harry should have an arsenal.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2020, 12:30:26 AM »
Three teenagers drove through the front wall of my home last year. Does that count?

In any case, Harry did have an arsenal. A sword of the cross, a staff, blasting rod, force rings, that nifty shield bracelet, his coat, a 44 Magnum, a shotgun,  a temple dog and Little Chicago. Not to mention a talking skull, various illegal substances and that nifty little summoning circle.  Plus his redoubt in the Rent a Shed place.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2020, 05:06:21 AM »
In transport, use, or the safe. Honestly, it's the things that no one worries about someone getting their little hands on that end causing the most harm. There's a reason big buckets have that picture on them.

Never let your guard down, when you think they are at the safest, they aren't.  Trust me on that, and not one should ever witness the result.