Author Topic: Souls and Ghosts.  (Read 28195 times)

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Souls and Ghosts.
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2020, 03:29:40 AM »
Now that Harry’s died, that whole “Die alone” death curse, is that over? 
Was he not dead enough? Yeah, he got out from underneath that one. Sort of. It remains to be seen if he’s going to get out from underneath the rest of it. Which I’m having a very good time plotting out.
- WoJ. He died enough, metaphysically, to have triggered at least part of that death curse. I'm pretty sure there is a quote from Jim about Harry being more important because he died. There's definitely the quote about how "now we can do the fun stuff" implying that Harry's death has opened doors for him. Doors Harry would probably wish had not been opened.

@nadia: Correct. It's also the one linked to in the OP of this thread.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2020, 05:49:56 AM »
Nope. There's a WoJ saying specifically that ghosts are not souls.
Yeah I saw it.  But either Harry was a ghost or he wasn't.  Harry acted like a ghost. He was constrained by the rules that Jim laid out for ghost. If he wasn't a ghost what was he?

And poor Sir Stuart gets a job working in Uriel's house, but by that WOJ he's a footprint full of water, not the soul of a man known as Sir Stuart. Why hire a memory?  Color me confused. 

And the quote about souls and bodies was first published in 1892, six years before C.S. Lewis was born. By a Quaker. It's amusing. I work harder talking about these books than I did when I was in College.  Which probably says something about me. :o :)

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 12, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »
Yeah I saw it.  But either Harry was a ghost or he wasn't.  Harry acted like a ghost. He was constrained by the rules that Jim laid out for ghost. If he wasn't a ghost what was he?

He's a soul that an archangel created a ghost for and then allowed him to inhabit, as I understood the situation.

And poor Sir Stuart gets a job working in Uriel's house, but by that WOJ he's a footprint full of water, not the soul of a man known as Sir Stuart. Why hire a memory?  Color me confused.

Probably because he can help Uriel preserve or save other souls, even if he hasn't got one himself. Or because not doing so, after Sir Stuart's ghost was so badly damaged, would eventually result in said ghost endangering other souls--it certainly wouldn't be good for Mortimer if he ended up having to destroy Sir Stuart, after all, and Mortimer has (at the end of Ghost Story) just been pushed into being more heroic and helping save people (and note that this has happened as a slow progression starting in Grave Peril, caused by Harry (whom Uriel, in The Warrior, has already pointed out tends to do this kind of thing, and that in doing so is very much a warrior for Uriel's side), and that Uriel has acknowledged that A) the ending was part of his plan; and B) that Harry was acting as his agent in the matter--so I have no trouble believing that the whole thing was a long game by Uriel).

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 12, 2020, 07:28:46 AM »
I will help out here.

The problem as I see it, is that this discussion has become one of trying to contain concepts that are inherently messy. Trying to define whether someone died or did not is a tricky enough proposition, let alone the mechanics of the afterlife. We are approaching a spiritual discussion, on metaphysics and abstract ideas, in a scientific way. Therein lies the problem.

If it helps, think of this a little more like quantum mechanics. Harry both WAS and WASN'T dead. He both WAS and WASN'T a ghost. It's all a matter of perspective. The answer is not quantitative, but qualitative. As Mab says, death is a spectrum not a line. Mortal's fear it and want it to be black, but death is a grey word.

The same applies to the ghost issue. Harry did become a ghost, sort of. The circumstances allowed for his soul, and the ghost, to work in sync. Which I suspect is why he was both as limited as a normal ghost, yet able to do things beyond the ability of a normal ghost. His soul is the x factor. Remember, several major heavyweight supernaturals were working together on this. Not normal circumstances at all.

So morris, I hope that answers your question. He was MORE than a ghost.

As for Sir Stuart, I think the answer is already in front of us. See the quote by nadia.skylark - ghosts that are exceptional can grow and change. Sir Stuart's ghost got a job working in Uriel's house. Sir Stuart was already beyond - wherever the afterlife took him. Uriel wasn't hiring a memory, but a shade of a great man, that had become something more. Consider the power and value of a human soul - especially the creative power. It appears in the books powerful enough to create more, and affect all of reality by creating alternate universes based on it's own choices. Not something even immortals seem to be able to do. Sir Stuart, perhaps by aiding Mort and Harry, and perhaps by attaching itself to new sources of power became greater than the original shade produced. This is why Uriel wanted him.

As for the quote, well done on digging up the original source. I merely took Jim's word for it, and he probably just took someone else's. The spread of misinformation is so easy. So thank you for finding that! But I think it doesn't really matter who said it first, in terms of this discussion. The point is that Uriel said it in the Dresden Files, to Harry. That is basically getting cosmic-level truth.

I personally think that Necromancy uses power from Outside in order to break the rules of reality. Which is why they can do all sorts of things when powered by a human. Hence the tricks of Kemmler and Capiocorpus. But they are very rare, for the most part it seems that beings when they experience irreversible physical death they don't come back. But to say it is impossible...well I think not. As one WOJ states, if you have enough magical power you could rewrite reality. So possible and impossible become somewhat irrelevant.
Hi, I'm a moderator. We're here to help. Please remain calm. Don't go outdoors.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 12, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
He could enter holy ground
Because that is for souls, with or without body.

Harry had memory too. They could be stolen and Bob helped him to get them back.
And the quote about souls and bodies was first published in 1892, six years before C.S. Lewis was born. By a Quaker. It's amusing. I work harder talking about these books than I did when I was in College.  Which probably says something about me. :o :)
You have your body, your spirit and your soul. Your spirit and your soul together are everything of you that is non material, your essence. Your body protects your soul and spirit in the material world and your spirit protects your soul in the spiritual world.

A Shade (spirit + soul) is in many ways the same as a ghost (spirit without soul) but those differences are important. It is the main theme of ghost story.

Wandering around in the spiritual world as a shade after dead is dangerous but it is still an option before you go on to the next stage. You still have free will and you can still affect your future and make choices. But your soul needs spiritual power to express itself in the spirit world and at the end Harry had lost almost all of that.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 12, 2020, 01:23:33 PM »
Wandering around in the spiritual world as a shade after dead is dangerous but it is still an option before you go on to the next stage. You still have free will and you can still affect your future and make choices. But your soul needs spiritual power to express itself in the spirit world and at the end Harry had lost almost all of that.

In my opinion your free will is severely limited.   You might want to return to life, but in most cases that isn't going to happen.  There seems to be some serious limitations as to who can chose what. 

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 12, 2020, 01:29:21 PM »
  In my opinion your free will is severely limited.   You might want to return to life, but in most cases that isn't going to happen.  There seems to be some serious limitations as to who can chose what.
We are all severely limited in the expression of our free will, some even more than others. But the fundamental choices are still there. You can for example choose to prey upon others or help protect others. Most of those others are ghosts and not souls but does that really matter?
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 12, 2020, 01:37:51 PM »
@Yuillegan
Yeah, the quote source was just a fun fact. No particular relevance.
@Arjen
But it just begs the question.  The ghost isn't Sir Stuart and it doesn't have a soul.  God deals with souls.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 12, 2020, 01:48:02 PM »
@Yuillegan
Yeah, the quote source was just a fun fact. No particular relevance.
@Arjen
But it just begs the question.  The ghost isn't Sir Stuart and it doesn't have a soul.  God deals with souls.
I am not so sure about that. I would say Uriel's interest is a strong indication that Sir Stuart had a soul. He stayed to protect his family (morty). Magical talent is often inherited. He had a stronger presence than most ghosts. It is quite possible that he had the same talents as morty and a strong will to stay behind. That would be enough in my opinion.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 12, 2020, 02:37:28 PM »
We are all severely limited in the expression of our free will, some even more than others. But the fundamental choices are still there. You can for example choose to prey upon others or help protect others. Most of those others are ghosts and not souls but does that really matter?

Ghosts cannot really prey upon anyone nor protect for that matter,  when Molly was in trouble
all Harry could do was plea with Uriel to help her, he, himself was powerless no matter what he'd chose to do.   As Uriel said, in the end souls will be judged on what they did in life.  They might chose to wait for that judgement like Captain Murphy, that is pretty much the extent of his choices.

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2020, 03:15:20 PM »
I am not so sure about that. I would say Uriel's interest is a strong indication that Sir Stuart had a soul. He stayed to protect his family (morty). Magical talent is often inherited. He had a stronger presence than most ghosts. It is quite possible that he had the same talents as morty and a strong will to stay behind. That would be enough in my opinion.

Does anyone have a copy of Ghost Story handy? Because I remember Uriel saying something that definitively states that Sir Stuart's ghost is not Sir Stuart's soul when he hires Sir Stuart's ghost, but I don't have my book to check.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 12, 2020, 04:26:47 PM »
Ghosts cannot really prey upon anyone nor protect for that matter,  when Molly was in trouble
all Harry could do was plea with Uriel to help her, he, himself was powerless no matter what he'd chose to do.   As Uriel said, in the end souls will be judged on what they did in life.  They might chose to wait for that judgement like Captain Murphy, that is pretty much the extent of his choices.
Ghosts and ghostlike beings prey on each other as Harry discovered when he was ambushed and robbed of his memories.  Corpstaker showed how a bodyless shade could still inflict a lot of damage in the material world with the right knowledge and dedication. Lea explained how she did it as well.

Bob explained that what he did in his ghost state affected what he was and that his soul was actually in danger but he also had a chance to return.

I think everything you do before you jump on hat train still counts.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 12, 2020, 06:40:41 PM »
Does anyone have a copy of Ghost Story handy? Because I remember Uriel saying something that definitively states that Sir Stuart's ghost is not Sir Stuart's soul when he hires Sir Stuart's ghost, but I don't have my book to check.
He calls him a shade and a spirit, which I suppose is explicit.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 12, 2020, 07:27:52 PM »
He calls him a shade and a spirit, which I suppose is explicit.
The fomor servitor calls corpstaker a shade. I take shade to mean soul + spirit but I do not think the terms all always used correctly and consistent. What is shown in the story is more important.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline nadia.skylark

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2020, 12:35:44 AM »
I found the quote. It's not as definitive as I thought it was, but here it is:
I went back over to Uriel to find him conversing with Sir Stuart.

"Don't know," Sir Stuart was saying. "I'm not . . . not as right as I used to be, sir."

"There's more than enough left to rebuild on," Uriel said. "Trust me. The ruins of a spirit like Sir Stuart's are more substantial than most men ever manage to dredge up. I'd be very pleased to have you working for me."
So Uriel definitely refers to Sir Stuart in the third person when hiring Sir Stuart's ghost.