Author Topic: The hunter of the shadows  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
The hunter of the shadows
« on: May 20, 2020, 03:52:50 AM »
The Venatori Umbrorum are the Hunter's of the Shadows.
The Venators are the Shadows of the Hunters.

Curiously, The Lord of Slowest Terror (the Old One who is the boss of He Who Walks Behind) is also called the Hunter of the Shadows.

Are we so sure the Ventori and/or Venators are the good guys?

Offline Con

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: The hunter of the shadows
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2020, 04:36:22 AM »
Well given Lara as a high ranking memberand by extension the White Court. I nev err thought of them as "the good guys" even their involvement in paranet has alterior motives. Of course the fact that Lara has convinced predatory white court into helping an altruistic movement and battle against Outsider Fomor forces could be the ultimate benevolent machievellen spy master or politician trope.

But the idea of an Old One creating an organisation to take  out his competition is a good wag theory. Even Thomas says thats the motive  of their involvement.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2020, 07:44:57 AM »
It would be interesting.

Harry thinks the Outsiders all work together. But he knows next to nothing, mostly based on whispers. It would be quite the shock if one or more was working against the others.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
The Venatori Umbrorum are the Hunter's of the Shadows.
The Venators are the Shadows of the Hunters.

Curiously, The Lord of Slowest Terror (the Old One who is the boss of He Who Walks Behind) is also called the Hunter of the Shadows.

Are we so sure the Ventori and/or Venators are the good guys?

Err, not sure I follow. The official Venatori are the hunters, and their mask/shield organisation are the shadows of the hunters. The hunter of the shadows would maybe be hunting the Venatori Umbrorum, and have nothing to do with the Venatori (since they have no shadow in their name, the hunter of the shadows wouldn't hunt them in particular).

I grant the names are similar enough that it could be one of those fudged links as thematic linking, but looking purely at the word-link, there can be no confusion to me.

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 09:04:32 AM »
My mistake, the Venators are the hunters. But the Venatori Umbrorum is still formally the Hunter's of the Shadows.

It probably is just some overuse of the phrase on Jim's part. But on the off-chance, it is interesting.

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 10:12:01 AM »
My mistake, the Venators are the hunters. But the Venatori Umbrorum is still formally the Hunter's of the Shadows.

It probably is just some overuse of the phrase on Jim's part. But on the off-chance, it is interesting.
My best real-latin translation of a singular Venatori Umbrorum would be 'for/to the hunter of the shadows' and Venatori alone 'for/to the hunter', so I suppose that makes more sense than i first thought.
More properly would be Venator(es) Umbrarum for hunter(s) of the shadows, so I suppose we should believe Jim's latin for any of this to make sense, and not try too hard to smash it into proper Latin.

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 12:38:04 PM »
Perhaps he took the same Latin course as Harry did.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2020, 07:41:05 PM »
The known organization is the "Shadow of the Hunters," to quote Thomas. They're the "Shadows." Thomas and his like are the "Hunters." The "Hunter of Shadows" could be interpreted as one who hunts the Venatori Umbrorum instead of the Lord of Slowest Terrors.