Author Topic: Demense  (Read 2602 times)

Offline kel0700

• Participant
    • View Profile
Demense
« on: August 07, 2019, 11:11:33 AM »
Just wondering is it possible for Harry to create his own demense in the never never? We have a woj that a lot of the older wizards on the council have one and in Ghost Story Harry talked about how it would be pretty straightforward to create one with bobs help. But in ghost story Harry seamed to imply that he could only create one because he's a ghost if that's the case how do older wizards on the white council have one?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Demense
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 01:56:33 PM »
I think the Ghost Story bit about Nevernever Demesnes is mostly because it would basically be a requirement for Harry if he was going to stick around as an incorporeal dude. Harry's life up to that point had been about routine, as is pointed out several times by Murphy and others; he'd need some kind of stability to avoid going insane and full poltergeist.

I do think that Harry could do it as a corporeal wizard, he just hasn't felt the need to do so. From Storm Front-->Changes, it wasn't really worth the effort. From Ghost Story-->Skin Game, he simply didn't have the resources, I think, and he needed to stay on the Island anyway. Now he's got Maggie living with him, and I think he's going to want to keep her as far away from the Nevernever as possible.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 09:41:38 PM »
If Harry did create a Demense would Lea guard it?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:00:51 AM »
If it works anything like Lea putting her garden across from Harry's dwelling, it's probably the kind of thing that would take continuous upkeep. WOJ was that Harry already spends about a full time job's worth out of an average week in his life on maintenance and improvement of foci, and his gear has saved his life enough times he'd be very reluctant to skimp on that.

In between his other duties, I doubt he had time to even consider creating a demesne until his year of living on the island. And scouting for locations to claim and remodel into a demesne by stepping across from the island would be just about equivalent to Russian Roulette.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 11:10:06 AM »
Speaking of the NN when will we find out what is on the other side of Demonreach?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 01:47:04 AM »
WOJ was that Harry already spends about a full time job's worth out of an average week in his life on maintenance and improvement of foci.

I recall it being closer to a part time job. Around 20 hours a week. That's still a huge amount. There are a few things that might change that though. First, Harry is better at it than he used to be. In Changes, Harry said each time he re-upped the enchantment on his coat, it lasted longer and he thought he had figured out how to make it last almost a year, up from six months, if I recall correctly. Second, early in the books, Harry talks about "full enchantments" that don't wear off. They are expensive. Harry has resources now he never anticipated. Maybe if money isn't an issue, he can do full enchantments (which he does describe as time consuming, so maybe it wouldn't help). Third, Harry doesn't need an income anymore. Still, I agree with your premise that it would probably take more time than Harry would be willing to sacrifice. He'd probably find other pursuits more valuable. Like maybe carrying out full enchantments so he could eventually have the time.

Speaking of cool things Harry's money might be able to do for him gear wise, in Fool Moon, Bob and Harry have the following conversation:

Bob: I'm talking a greater Ring of Invisibility, not just a Shadowcape or something.
Harry: Do I look like I'm made of money? I can't afford that.

I hope Harry gets some cool gear he couldn't have afforded before he had a bunch of diamonds he didn't technically steal from a god.