Author Topic: Could Maeve have picked the worst hand maiden?  (Read 3055 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Could Maeve have picked the worst hand maiden?
« on: September 10, 2019, 06:32:11 PM »
Maeve picked a horrible Winter Knight, and wasn't really good at her job based on what we've learned from Molly.  When I was actually reading up on Harry Potter lore, I was reading about Grindylow's.  Little water demon's known for luring children, and lost travelers to lakes, and ponds to drown them. 

Well in a different part of England the Grindylow's go by another name, Jenny Greenteeth.  Although I don't find it hard to believe an agent of Winter would do such horrible things, the fact that these demon's are connected so strongly to water makes me wonder if Jenny is a Fomor, or at least an ally of the Fomor.  Since Maeve's death we haven't seen anything about her...

Anyone else wonder if she could have been working against the Sidhe while being Maeve's partner?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Could Maeve have picked the worst hand maiden?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 06:58:58 PM »
She was killed in the short story about Billy and Georgia's wedding. Or at least that was the impression I got. It's been a while since I read that one.

There are a lot of traditional Gaelic faeries associated with the water. We've seen a few in the stories. In A Fistful of Warlocks, Luccio is using one as a horse that is bound to her until they capture Kemmler (or maybe just one of his associates). Summer has some that attack Harry in Small Favor. I think these were kelpies.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 08:41:23 PM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she dies in that short. The one where she tries to marry Billy or something, and Harry does what any good groomsman should (beat her up).

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 11:41:38 PM »
There are a lot of traditional Gaelic faeries associated with the water. We've seen a few in the stories. In A Fistful of Warlocks, Luccio is using one as a horse that is bound to her until they capture Kemmler (or maybe just one of his associates). Summer has some that attack Harry in Small Favor. I think these were kelpies.

Yeah, the idea of Luccio riding Jenny's cousin was a little squicky in that short.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 11:45:30 PM »
I think it's rather obvious why Maeve picked Jenny as her handmaiden, and it had nothing to do with her ability to be a valuable second.  Maeve was a few bricks shy of a load when we first saw her in Summer Knight.  Jenny fit Maeve to a T.  She was a deceptive and viscous killer, just like Maeve.  That Jenny used sex as a lure must have had a special appeal to Maeve.  The then Winter Lady played the role of a magical teenage tramp, but was 150 - 200 years old, and probably needed to get laid in the worst way, but couldn't because the Winter Lady's mantel wouldn't allow it.  Jenny Greenteeth's victims never really got to enjoy their very brief encounters with her before she drowned them.  I think that appealed to Maeve's twisted sense of humor; probably as much ot more than killing the trumpet player who foolishly said he would die to play as well as he did at Maeve's party, in Summer Knight.   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 02:44:14 AM by KurtinStGeorge »
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 12:16:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm pretty sure she dies in that short. The one where she tries to marry Billy or something, and Harry does what any good groomsman should (beat her up).

I've heard that the origin of "best man" is literally "best man with a sword", who's job was to help the groom fight off any other would-be suitors or any who would try to disrupt the wedding.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2019, 06:05:09 PM »
That is indeed the origin of the term "best man." Nobody's 'bout to take his best bro's girl.