Author Topic: Parallel Worlds anthology  (Read 4055 times)

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Parallel Worlds anthology
« on: July 12, 2019, 12:12:22 PM »
So... apparently there's a new Dresden Files short story coming out?

Upcoming Works at jimbutcher.com:
10/8/19: Parallel Worlds, an anthology containing a new Dresdenverse short story from a very unconventional POV.  Edited by L.J. Hachmeister and R.R. Virdi.

Amazon for pre-order: https://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Worlds-L-J-Hachmeister-ebook/dp/B07V6PM444/
Amazon Blurb:
Heroes and villains are not always on the opposite ends of the spectrum of good and evil. Sometimes, all that separates them is a fine line. The stories within “Parallel Worlds” explore the lives of such heroes and what drives them – and what keeps them from crossing over to the other side.

Do we know anything about this story?

The blurb makes me think it could be a story from the PoV of Mirror Harry.

Offline g33k

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Parallel Worlds anthology
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 06:01:21 PM »
So... apparently there's a new Dresden Files short story coming out?

Upcoming Works at jimbutcher.com:
Amazon for pre-order: https://www.amazon.com/Parallel-Worlds-L-J-Hachmeister-ebook/dp/B07V6PM444/
Amazon Blurb:
Do we know anything about this story?

The blurb makes me think it could be a story from the PoV of Mirror Harry.

I don't expect we'll get any Mirror'verse stuff.

I'll point to the "Zoo Day" short, which eminently fulfills all the elements above.

It's a new story, though, so NOT Zoo Day.

Maybe Eb and the Blackstaff "coming to terms" with one another?

Maybe Bob vs. EvilBob?

Maybe Lea "tormenting" Harry in her faerie-godmother way "for his own good?"

etc...

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2019, 01:31:17 AM »
While it could be a Mirror Mirror Harry short story, I have real doubts Jim would want to give anything away about Alt-Harry.  Perhaps the discussion that was held (in another thread) about a Nicodemus short story will become more than theoretical.

The only thing that makes me doubt this will happen is the description; "Heroes and villains are not always on the opposite ends of the spectrum of good and evil. Sometimes, all that separates them is a fine line."  In theory, there might be a fine line between Cowl and Harry, but what separates Nicodemus and Harry is more like a huge canyon. 

A Cowl short story?  I've never considered the idea before.  That might be interesting.  Whoever thought of this idea deserves credit for coming up with something different.  I'll buy a copy.
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2019, 01:45:34 AM »
I'm thinking it might be Eb.  Or possible Rashid.  Those two are the ones whom seem most likely to have had experiences with parallel worlds.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2019, 03:14:28 AM »
It sounds like a good way to show two characters separated only by decisions.  I could see a Murphy/Rudolph story fitting in this, where we see the differences between them highlighted by the similarities.  Both could be trying to figure out their place in the post-Stab supernatural world. 

One hung her hat on the outcast wizard that killed his master, and later withheld info that got her partner killed. One hung his hat on a supernatural nation seeking justice against the wizard that brought monsters into the man's life. 

Then they both lose rhose they associated with, leaving them alone and powerless in a world tilting into darkness as the Fomor grow in power.  When their paths cross, and both are forced to choose sides in a new conflict, will they find common ground, or will they once again mirror each other from opposite sides?

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2019, 09:05:55 AM »
From reddit

priscellie
Resident Intellectus

63 points ·
15 hours ago
· edited 13 hours ago

Jim's short story is a freaking DELIGHT. And you'll never guess whose POV it's from. Well, you guys have pretty twisty brains, so you might guess. But I WILL SAY NOTHING until Jim and Ronnie (the amazing R.R. Virdi, one of the editors) give me the go-ahead to say who it is. :D

Edit: Jim has confirmed that it's a Goodman Grey story!

Offline ClintACK

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2019, 10:16:13 AM »
Ok, now I'm excited to read it, and I would never have guessed.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2019, 05:26:46 PM »
I think we knew there was a Goodman Grey story coming, but I can't recall if it'd been proposed as a short story or a series.  Either way it should be good!

Offline Bad Alias

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2019, 05:43:31 PM »
I think we knew there was a Goodman Grey story coming, but I can't recall if it'd been proposed as a short story or a series.  Either way it should be good!

I've heard Jim propose it as a possible series after he finishes the Dresden Files. Honestly, Goodman Grey was my first thought from the description in the OP, but I also thought he would be held back for the proposed series, so I concluded it probably wouldn't be him.