Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 164325 times)

Offline lord_of_balrogs

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #90 on: October 22, 2008, 01:34:46 AM »
I still don't see how Forcia can be below Kalare. In the civil war Forcia would of been in perfect position to beat down Kalare had they been there.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: October 22, 2008, 10:29:11 PM »
Then Atticus would have to be in the south as part of the southern lords because when Amara and Bernard left Kalarus, they went due east into Atticus's lands. If you can point to a place in the books where it says Atticus is one of the southern high lords, I'll be glad to move him and Kalare farther south. However, it doesn't make sense to me since there's a line in CaF that says they have to sail the Slive halfway around the coast to get to Parcia. That implies a considerable distance by ship.

Also, the Cannim are protecting Kalare's northern flank. If we make this move, then I'm not sure how they can be doing that unless we move everything south, including the Elinarch etc.

I still don't see how Forcia can be below Kalare. In the civil war Forcia would of been in perfect position to beat down Kalare had they been there.

Offline TFury

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: October 30, 2008, 01:33:58 AM »
I really love these maps. You guys did a great job. The only thing I could see wrong is that I thought that the Feverthorn Jungle and Kalare's swamps were in the "southermost part" of Alera. So shouldn't Forcia be a little less long to let Kalare be more in the south? maybe i'm wrong, but i was trying to remember all the geography things in the books. :-\ otherwise, GREAT JOB!!!

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 30, 2008, 09:54:17 PM »
I really love these maps. You guys did a great job. The only thing I could see wrong is that I thought that the Feverthorn Jungle and Kalare's swamps were in the "southermost part" of Alera. So shouldn't Forcia be a little less long to let Kalare be more in the south? maybe i'm wrong, but i was trying to remember all the geography things in the books. :-\ otherwise, GREAT JOB!!!

Thanks for the comment :-)  Hmmm. I don't remember anywhere in the books where it says specifically where the Jungle is. If you can find the reference I'll reread it and start making adjustments. No problem to do it. Kalare's swamps would still be in Kalare's land, well till the volcano wiped them out. I also don't remember saying how big they are and their specific location. Let me know.
M

Offline rbridges18

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 08, 2008, 04:15:28 AM »
Thank you Belgarion, these maps are awsome and I can't wait to share them with my dad he'll love them. ;D

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 11, 2008, 08:46:56 PM »
Thanks for the kind words. As soon as we've read Princeps' Fury, we'll be modifying the Princeps' Fury map no doubt as well as the overall map of Carna. I/we just don't have enough details in the first 5 chapters (well 6 including prologue) to make any substantial changes.

Mikey

Offline amadeus_rex

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 15, 2008, 07:07:53 PM »
Looked at your maps and, for the mostpart they are interesting.  One comment on Calderon Valley.  The causeway is said to run the length of the valley, insinuating a single road down the length of the valley from Riva at the western end to garrison on the eastern end.  I'm going to work on drawing up how I pictured it to give everyone some idea of what I'm picturing.  Of course, I'm not an artist, but I'll see what I can do.

amadeus_rex

Offline amadeus_rex

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 15, 2008, 10:11:30 PM »
Here's my version of Calderon Valley at the beggining of Furies of Calderon.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/amadeus_rex/CalderonValley2.jpg

As I read it, it seemed that all the Steadholts were back from the main causeway, which runs from Riva to Garrison.  The Rillwater runs the length of the valley.  The stream that Isana and Odiana come to after escaping Kordholt is said to run into a stream that runs down through Garrison and evetually to the Sea of Ice.  As figure the first encounter with Kord and his sons occurred where the lane to Bernardholt crosses the Rillwater or a small stream north of that (as Bernard tell Isana they met them at the North Bridge).  This is just how I see it.  This is only a small part of a larger map I'm working on.  I'll post more as I get more done.

Amadeus_rex

Offline amadeus_rex

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 18, 2008, 04:25:27 PM »
Here's one more for your consideration.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/amadeus_rex/AleraPoliticalBasic.jpg

It's just a basic politcal map of Alera showing the locations of the cities as I see it.  I also drew in the river Gaul.  There are no boundries yet, as it seems that most are due to geographic features.  Here's a question, does Alera Imperia have its own territory like the other Cities or is it (as I think) more akin to Washington DC with it being sperate from all the "States?" and having no real outlying areas of it's own?.

PS sorry I cut of the southern tip of Forica (but not by much)

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 23, 2008, 12:09:23 AM »
Hi,

I'm assuming you are using Campaign Cartographer and your maps look very nice. I do not have Winderz and so don't use that product.

I was just wondering if you read through the entire pdf file shown at the beginning of this thread. Upwards of 15 or more people have worked on all the maps so far leading to a consensus (the current maps). And lots more readers have downloaded the current maps for reference.
I'll be glad for you to take over doing the maps and I'll remove the ones I've already done from the site where I've been maintaining them. I've always been willing to make changes in the maps as long as everyone agreed to the changes and that the changes could be pointed to in the books.

M.

Here's one more for your consideration.

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn211/amadeus_rex/AleraPoliticalBasic.jpg

It's just a basic politcal map of Alera showing the locations of the cities as I see it.  I also drew in the river Gaul.  There are no boundries yet, as it seems that most are due to geographic features.  Here's a question, does Alera Imperia have its own territory like the other Cities or is it (as I think) more akin to Washington DC with it being sperate from all the "States?" and having no real outlying areas of it's own?.

PS sorry I cut of the southern tip of Forica (but not by much)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #100 on: November 23, 2008, 01:08:23 AM »
It's always great to get some new blood in these forum topics!  Belgarion and the other participants in this thread have done a phenomenal job combing the books for evidence and divining the locations of the various cities, but there's always room for fresh ideas in such an undertaking.

Belgarion, it's certainly not necessary for you to remove your work!  This isn't a case of "out with the old."  Rather than having the two maps compete against each other, I think it would be most constructive to find the places where the maps differ and let that inspire a new discussion, so that a new consensus might be reached.  (Though of course, it would be rather silly to start said discussion until the folks involved have gotten their hands on Princeps' Fury!)  Everybody wins!

Offline amadeus_rex

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 23, 2008, 09:53:07 PM »
Belgarion
Wasn't trying to take over anything.  These are just ones I've been working on independently for a while.  I made these maps for my own reference and decided to share them to show how I have seen things.  I have read the .pdf file and this thread.  Your general Alera map is very similar to how I've pictured it, and much more detailed (Some of the cities on mine are placed very generally).  I really haven't had the time to put alot of work into the political map.  The real difference here is that I see the Caldreon Valley different, based on the 4 or 5 times I've read the books.  Unfortunately, alot of the directions and locals in the books are very general.  Until Jim himself chooses to step in give a definative answer on anything, most of this is pure speculation and up for interpretation.

I wasn't looking to have you remove your maps.  I guess I thought everyone was entitled to an opinion on a public forum.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to spare on this that others might, or I might have been posting more often and added my 2 cents worth sooner.  I'll just continue my work for my own benefit and leave you to yours.

BTW, I use AutoRealm.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2008, 12:09:48 AM »
No problem, I just didn't want new Alera series readers to get totally confused.  Everyone is very welcome to post comments and opinions. It's important that we have a lot of eyes looking at the texts.
We went through a lot of iterations to get where we are now. If you see something in the maps that doesn't make sense we can search through the pdf (from the first map thread) and through the current map thread and see how we arrived at the positioning. And yes, sometimes the texts can be interpreted different ways.

Surprisingly or not though, the map clues are in the text, sometimes they jump out and hit you in the face and sometimes they are very subtle. Like when Amara is flying Bernard out of Kalare at the end of CaF, she stops in Attica after flying east for a day. It's subtle in terms of positioning.
At the beginning of CaF, Amara has flown ( in record time), 3000 miles to get to Kalare from the capitol. Indicates distances, although I'm not sure we have all of that correct. (Like how much land there is from the capitol east to the coast. ) Or that Forcia is on the west coast because of a line in AF near the end where Tavi is describing Gaius's furniture as dark wood from Forcia on the west coast.   

By the way. The shape of the Calderon Valley was based on comments that Jim made in a signing.
I'll look up the reference for you. It's on youtube. He described it as a land bridge between the Aleran continent and the land inhabited by the Marat.  Also, there is a line in FoC where Amara flies over the Sea of   Ice to get to the Calderon Valley from in-country. That's part of the reason that the Valley's shape looks like it is.

If you have a question, please post it. I should have re-read my post and deleted it before I hit the post button.

Mikey

Belgarion
Wasn't trying to take over anything.  These are just ones I've been working on independently for a while.  I made these maps for my own reference and decided to share them to show how I have seen things.  I have read the .pdf file and this thread.  Your general Alera map is very similar to how I've pictured it, and much more detailed (Some of the cities on mine are placed very generally).  I really haven't had the time to put alot of work into the political map.  The real difference here is that I see the Caldreon Valley different, based on the 4 or 5 times I've read the books.  Unfortunately, alot of the directions and locals in the books are very general.  Until Jim himself chooses to step in give a definative answer on anything, most of this is pure speculation and up for interpretation.

I wasn't looking to have you remove your maps.  I guess I thought everyone was entitled to an opinion on a public forum.  Unfortunately, I don't have the time to spare on this that others might, or I might have been posting more often and added my 2 cents worth sooner.  I'll just continue my work for my own benefit and leave you to yours.

BTW, I use AutoRealm.

Offline amadeus_rex

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2008, 01:36:53 PM »
Calderon valley is on a land bridge,  I've known that since the first time I read FoC and it was mentioned as being across the isthmus.  On the pick I posted, the seas are not colored in.

As I said, I'll leave you to your maps and do mine for my own benifit.  Until Jim puts out an Official version, it's all open to each persons own interpetation.

Offline [ISI]William_9292

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 26, 2008, 01:41:52 AM »
So what is the new verdict on the map??

We now know that Ceres is below Alera Imperia and in the south, but at the same time on the coast because of the ameranth vale and the Canim invasion.

Also we know that the Southern cities are/were Kalare, Attica, Ceres, Forcia, Parcia and Rhodes. Because of THIS.

Enything else?