Author Topic: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers  (Read 164338 times)

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
  • Careful, or you'll end up in my novel
    • View Profile
Re: A Map (cont'd) Spoilers Spoilers Spoilers
« Reply #135 on: January 18, 2009, 04:47:21 PM »
I understand completely about the confusion. :-) Sometimes, it takes us a while to get something close. Of course, we won't be vindicated one way or another until Jim shows us his map. I think we are pretty close though.

For Attica, that was the whole point of the Cannim assault on the Elinarch. If they crossed that, they would have nothing stopping them to get to the Ceres and the capitol. And the whole way is open for Kalare's legions to march into the capitol. It's stated somewhere in CuF. I'll have to look up the exact quote. I can easily change the dotted line to move Cere's  southern border just south of Founderport.

And you are right about the holders. They expected Ceresian legionaires or at least cavalry. We've sorta moved Ceres all over the place.

Thing about Attica is it has to be next to Kalare. That's the whole point of the quote at the end of CuF where Amara flies Bernard one day out of Kalare and to an inn in Attica.

The location of the Black Hills and the whole vale is confusing. I pictured the Hills as being somewhat south of Ceres. That's the only way I can see Kalare's legions doing anything. On the other hand, the First Aleran are near the Black Hills on maneuvers and then they move out to the Elinarch and it takes them a week to get there.  We've talked about the Amaranth Vale as being significantly large. We just don't have a clear picture of it.

Mikey

Ok, some thoughts on the last Map.

I think Attica has to bee farther east.
  • The Way its positioned right now, to get to Ceres Kalarus would have had to eiter a) move very close past Attica, or b) cross the Tiber at the Elinarch. Both of wich are highly unlikely.

As i understand it, the Elinarch should be on Ceresian territory.
  • The holders Tavi meets, when first riding out to scout out the Canim, were expecting ceresian Legions.

I always pictured the Tiber running North of Ceres. (don't exactly know why, but thats the picture i had in Mind)

Placidian territory needs to reach further south, especially closer to Ceres.
  • The Blackhills are at the southernmost end of placidian territory. Plus it only took the placidian Legions one day to get from the edge of placidian territory to Ceres.

What i dont get with the Blackhills, is how Aquitanes Legions cold be the ones to "crush the Legions holding the passes coming down from the Blackhills" as mentioned by Bernhard at the end of CuF.

Now while i write this, i get confused...

By assaulting the western foothills of Parcia, and diverting the Gaul to the Floodplain, One of K.'s legions managed to take control of the Blackhill Passes.(See CuF) Meaning that the Blackhills need to be near Parcia. That in addition would mean that Placidian territory needs to reach as far south as well, since the Blackhills are at the southern tip of Placidian territory.

Somehow the whole sections about the troop movements are kind of confusing to me. My main problem being that we don't have any hints as to where Attica actually is. Is it south or north of Parcia... The whole thing gets simpler if its south of Parcia, but that doesn't make sense in several other instances.

Ok, now my head hurts... i'll have to think all this over again. Hope i'm not to confusing to anyone else *g*

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 18, 2009, 08:03:18 PM »
I've added in more detail from PF. Additional cities and corrected the name of Mount Kalarus to Mount Kalus.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/3206669383/

M

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 19, 2009, 07:07:12 AM »
Found something to support my Tiber-in-the-north-of-Ceres Theory.

In CuF, Cyril says the following: "If they take the Elinarch, they'll run right through Placidas heartlands on the north side, and with the river protecting their flank, they'll be able to lay waste to Ceres' lands on the south."

This indicates to me that the Tiber hast to be at least in the northern part of ceresian lands, if not form the border between Ceres and Placida.
As i see it, the Canim wanted to control the Elinarch because the Alerans otherwise could deploy forces in their back, not because the want to get to Alera Imperia.
That's indicated by Ehren saying "... It's obvious that they must control the Elinarch, or risk being attacked from several directions."

iirc the way to the capital being free for Kalares Legions is connected to taking Ceres. The Elinarch isn't mentioned in that case. So it could well be north of Ceres.

I totaly agree that atticas lands have to reach close in to Kalare, but that does not necessarily mean that the City of Attica itself needs to be so close.

The Blackhills... well it's a mystery :-)

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 19, 2009, 08:20:30 PM »
I've made some little adjustments. Move the Tiber's source farther northwest per your comment.

http://flickr.com/photos/21582563@N03/3210766570/

I didn't do anything with Atticus. There's not too much room in that regions unless I start changing the shape of the coastline.

M

Found something to support my Tiber-in-the-north-of-Ceres Theory.

In CuF, Cyril says the following: "If they take the Elinarch, they'll run right through Placidas heartlands on the north side, and with the river protecting their flank, they'll be able to lay waste to Ceres' lands on the south."

This indicates to me that the Tiber hast to be at least in the northern part of ceresian lands, if not form the border between Ceres and Placida.
As i see it, the Canim wanted to control the Elinarch because the Alerans otherwise could deploy forces in their back, not because the want to get to Alera Imperia.
That's indicated by Ehren saying "... It's obvious that they must control the Elinarch, or risk being attacked from several directions."

iirc the way to the capital being free for Kalares Legions is connected to taking Ceres. The Elinarch isn't mentioned in that case. So it could well be north of Ceres.

I totaly agree that atticas lands have to reach close in to Kalare, but that does not necessarily mean that the City of Attica itself needs to be so close.

The Blackhills... well it's a mystery :-)

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:41 AM »
Instead of making the Sea of Ice a giant lake, why not just make the Sea of Ice thinner? It's called Sea of Ice for a reason, especially with the ability of the Icemen isn't it rather likelythat both sides can just walk across it up north close to the polar region? There might even be settlements of the Icemen on the other side.

Also the way it is now Tavi would have been right in the path of the attack on Ceres and we know for a fact that the First Aleran was hundreds of miles away from any civil war battle battle. So the Elinarch has to get a bit further north and I would say Kalare is larger and extends more to the east, Attica gets pushed a bit further down south and Ceres also. Right now there is little reason for the Kalaren legions, or for the Vord forces for that matter, to have assaulted Ceres as they did, because the shortest connection was through Attica.
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 24, 2009, 03:44:44 PM »
Ok. I'm looking. I just wish we had a chat room where we could all get together and hash this thing out. Everytime we look at the map, there are several different ideas about the locations of Ceres, Atticus, Kalare, Elinarch, Alera Imperia, etc.

Darn

Mikey

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 25, 2009, 01:32:02 PM »
Ok. I'm looking. I just wish we had a chat room where we could all get together and hash this thing out. Everytime we look at the map, there are several different ideas about the locations of Ceres, Atticus, Kalare, Elinarch, Alera Imperia, etc.

Darn

Mikey

One Chatroom, coming up.

Join via Web Interface

For those who wish to use their own IRC client, connect to irc.newnet.net and join #alera
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:19:29 PM by Tsunami »

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #142 on: January 25, 2009, 01:35:26 PM »
Should we set a specific time to chat?

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 25, 2009, 01:54:29 PM »
Might not be a bad idea...

right now i'm all alone in there, so theres not a lot to do, besides agreeing with myself on my point of view  ::)

Offline kokolores

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 25, 2009, 02:53:37 PM »
You are alone no longer.

If we want to talk about a specific topic a set date is a must to get as many people as possible to participate. A saturday or sunday would probably be best and seeing how the majority here is american I'd say a time which allows others who are a little further off to participate as well without getting no sleep that night.
If there's something strange in the your neighborhood, who you gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
If there's something weird and it don't look good Who ya gonna call?
Ghost Harry.
I ain't afraid of no ghosts I ain't afraid of no ghosts

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 25, 2009, 04:20:34 PM »
One Chatroom, coming up.

Join via Web Interface

For those who wish to use their own IRC client, connect to irc.newnet.net and join #alera

I've changed the Server, please notice the changes in the original post.

The Web interface link remains unchanged.

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 25, 2009, 04:24:13 PM »
I'm there.

Well, almost. Have to find a mac irc client that works.

Mikey
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 04:29:53 PM by belgarion »

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 25, 2009, 04:37:52 PM »
The Web interface Link should take you there.
It does when i use it myself.

Please let me know if it presents further difficulties, so i can have a look at it again..

Offline belgarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 25, 2009, 04:42:54 PM »
Why is Cannea still so small? I might be completely wrong, but isn't it suppose to dwarf Alera?

It's a matter of fitting it on the map. I can extend Cannea south some so it falls off the bottom of the map.

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 25, 2009, 05:35:49 PM »
Ok, we've been discussing the Date for our first Map discussion... that seems a bit weird, does it not ??

Anyways...

it's supposed to take place some day in the last two weeks of February, starting at around 3pm Eastern US time (hey, we europeans want to participate as well  ;) )

Those who want to join, please mark your available dates here: http://www.doodle.com/bvki5848gi7fk2uf

The discussion will take place in our, oh-so-wonderful :o , newly formed chatroom
One Chatroom, coming up.

Join via Web Interface

You're also welcome to go there anytime to babble about Maps and other things.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 05:47:18 PM by Tsunami »