Author Topic: Was Anduriel in Storm Front?  (Read 2338 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Was Anduriel in Storm Front?
« on: November 26, 2018, 07:49:29 PM »
I know Jim likes to plant things in books for people to only discover from information from future books.  I don't know if Jim even had Nicodemus or Anduriel thought of while writing Storm Front but I found this tidbit interesting.  It wasn't until I believe Skin Game that we learn that Anduriel can project a shadow to basically spy on anyone, at anytime.  So here is the passage that makes me wonder if Anduriel was keeping an eye on Dresden as early as Storm Front:

"My shadow and Murphy's fell on the floor, and almost looked as though they were sprawled there.  There was something about it that bothered me, a nagging little instinct that I blew off as a case of nerves.  Steady, Harry."

If it was more than just normal shadow's I doubt it would be a wizard doing anything since Harry seems to be pretty good at picking up magic.  If it was a wizard it would be someone of higher skill than say Sells who was the villain of that book.  Still I can't help but wonder if it was Anduriel.  What do you think?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Was Anduriel in Storm Front?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2018, 08:07:35 PM »
Given the plot has absolutely nothing to do with Nicodemus and I doubt Jim was laying things out that far in advance -- particularly when it's clear that it's not for another two books that he's laid out most of the major cosmology -- and the fact that Victor Sells is called the Shadow Man, I find it extremely unlikely.

That bit is when Murphy is bringing Harry to look at the first victim, so if it's anything at all, it's probably Victor keeping an eye on the crime scene, just like he does (with a shadow) when he sends his demon after Harry.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Online Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2018, 09:38:37 PM »

Possible because we find out in Death Masks that the Denarians have kept a close eye on Harry. 

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2018, 03:02:08 PM »
"My shadow and Murphy's fell on the floor, and almost looked as though they were sprawled there.  There was something about it that bothered me, a nagging little instinct that I blew off as a case of nerves.  Steady, Harry."

He and Murphy sprawled in the elevator, just like they would be later in the book after the wild ride to squish the scorpion.  It was foreshadowing.  Possibly the first use of foresight we see him use as a wizard.  Though back in that book things were a little different than they are now, so its hard to be sure.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 01:19:35 AM »
If it was more than just normal shadow's I doubt it would be a wizard doing anything since Harry seems to be pretty good at picking up magic.  If it was a wizard it would be someone of higher skill than say Sells who was the villain of that book.  Still I can't help but wonder if it was Anduriel.  What do you think?

Given the plot has absolutely nothing to do with Nicodemus and I doubt Jim was laying things out that far in advance -- particularly when it's clear that it's not for another two books that he's laid out most of the major cosmology -- and the fact that Victor Sells is called the Shadow Man, I find it extremely unlikely.
That bit is when Murphy is bringing Harry to look at the first victim, so if it's anything at all, it's probably Victor keeping an eye on the crime scene, just like he does (with a shadow) when he sends his demon after Harry.

Frankly, I got the sense Victor was too ignorant and arrogant to be bothered keeping an eye on the police investigation. He was just the cutout for a much more sophisticated practitioner; possibly Cowl and / or the distributor of the hexenwulf belts. I don't get the sense he was clued enough about the wider scene to realize he should be worried about Council wardens, let alone that he should keep an eye on SI.

That text does sound like Harry was twigging to something, and certainly there's nothing to rule out Sells being smarter than I interpreted him as, or Anduriel doing some early research. He and Nic do seem to be antagonistic towards The Circle, and acquainted with Margaret, so there is tangential grounds for him to take an interest.

But if it's a matter of playing the odds, I'd bet on it being Sells' master.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 01:50:48 AM »

Frankly, I got the sense Victor was too ignorant and arrogant to be bothered keeping an eye on the police investigation. He was just the cutout for a much more sophisticated practitioner; possibly Cowl and / or the distributor of the hexenwulf belts. I don't get the sense he was clued enough about the wider scene to realize he should be worried about Council wardens, let alone that he should keep an eye on SI.

That text does sound like Harry was twigging to something, and certainly there's nothing to rule out Sells being smarter than I interpreted him as, or Anduriel doing some early research. He and Nic do seem to be antagonistic towards The Circle, and acquainted with Margaret, so there is tangential grounds for him to take an interest.

But if it's a matter of playing the odds, I'd bet on it being Sells' master.
We do see Sells keeping tabs on his demon with a shadow later on, though, so it definitely fits with what we seem him capable of doing.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast