Author Topic: Is Lea stronger than the Winter Lady?  (Read 13169 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Is Lea stronger than the Winter Lady?
« on: July 18, 2018, 09:06:35 PM »
Mab said only she was stronger than Lea in “her winter”. Is the Winter Lady not prt of “her (Mab’s) Winter”?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Is Lea stronger than the Winter Lady?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2018, 01:11:18 AM »
In terms of strength, probably.  Though the Winter Lady probably has more authority than Lea.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2018, 03:01:02 AM »
In terms of strength, probably.  Though the Winter Lady probably has more authority than Lea.

IIRC, JB has said that powerful Sidhe rarely throw down in such a way that raw power matters much anyway.  It's usually much more subtle.  Which means Molly is probably at a big disadvantage in dealing with Lea, if only because of experience, regardless of relative raw power.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2018, 03:22:00 AM »
Mab said only she was stronger than Lea in “her winter”. Is the Winter Lady not prt of “her (Mab’s) Winter”?

It's tough to say because strength, and power to the Sidhe could mean either raw power, or power in the forms of favors owed.  In either case I think that Leah is stronger than the Winter Lady.  She can act in Mab's place, the Lady doesn't seem to be able to do that or Mab wouldn't have required the aid of Nicodemus before she had Leah.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2018, 04:54:23 AM »
Well, Maeve hasn't been the Lady for as long as Mab was Queen, so there may not have been one at all.  Or, this may have possibly predated Mab being Queen.  OR she may not yet have trusted Lea, as she didn't yet have the chain of obligations to control her.

OR

The duties of each queen are disparate enough that one may not necessarily be able to act as another in all ways.  For example (maybe/probably) the Lady might not have been able to have sex with the Winter Knight the way Mab did.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 09:01:04 AM »
I think I remember Lea saying that she recently acquired significant power in the winter court, upsetting the balance. I don't recall exactly the situation, but didn't Mab act to balance the scales and disinfect (heh) Lea? If that's correct then the situation where Lea is stronger than the Winter Lady is no longer.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 09:44:58 AM »
I think I remember Lea saying that she recently acquired significant power in the winter court, upsetting the balance. I don't recall exactly the situation, but didn't Mab act to balance the scales and disinfect (heh) Lea? If that's correct then the situation where Lea is stronger than the Winter Lady is no longer.

The only thing with this is, iirc Mab describes Lea as 'second only to me in power' in Changes. After she's been cured. I could be misremembering that.

What I think is important to consider is how long Lea has been doing this, how many favours and bargains she is owed, and how much power she must have amassed as Mab's second in command. Compared to Maeve who squandered her powers and neglected her role, yeah Lea is definitely stronger.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2018, 10:19:36 AM »
The only thing with this is, iirc Mab describes Lea as 'second only to me in power' in Changes. After she's been cured. I could be misremembering that.

What I think is important to consider is how long Lea has been doing this, how many favours and bargains she is owed, and how much power she must have amassed as Mab's second in command. Compared to Maeve who squandered her powers and neglected her role, yeah Lea is definitely stronger.
She was also strong enough to recognize her infection and fight it long enough to enable her to run to Mab for aid.

All things Aurora did not manage, she died confused.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2018, 11:10:03 AM »
She was also strong enough to recognize her infection and fight it long enough to enable her to run to Mab for aid.

All things Aurora did not manage, she died confused.

I don't know if that is so clear,  Aurora, yes, but Lea, no..  I think Mab realized that Lea was infected, took away the Knife and put her on ice.. 

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2018, 11:17:01 AM »
Quote from: Summer Knight Chapter 17
"Indeed," she said. "And your godmother, your teacher and guide, is the most vicious creature of Mab's Court, more than Maeve's equal, second in strength only to Mab herself."
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2018, 11:25:03 AM »
I don't know if that is so clear,  Aurora, yes, but Lea, no..  I think Mab realized that Lea was infected, took away the Knife and put her on ice..

From Changes:
“Shame, child, is for those who fail to live up to the ideal of what they believe they should be.” She waved her hand. “It was shame that drove me to my queen, to beseech her aid.”

She was ashamed she could not handle the infection herself.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2018, 12:31:31 PM »
"Indeed," she said. "And your godmother, your teacher and guide, is the most vicious creature of Mab's Court, more than Maeve's equal, second in strength only to Mab herself."

Ah maybe I was misremembering in that case. I thought there was a mention of this when Mab was permitting Lea to go with the group to Chichen Itza.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2018, 12:34:33 PM »
Ah maybe I was misremembering in that case. I thought there was a mention of this when Mab was permitting Lea to go with the group to Chichen Itza.
Strictly speaking viscious is not the same as powerful but maybe in winter it is.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2018, 06:16:57 PM »
Strictly speaking viscious is not the same as powerful but maybe in winter it is.

Yeah but the second part of that quote is "second in strength only to Mab herself."
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2018, 06:36:06 PM »
Yeah but the second part of that quote is "second in strength only to Mab herself."
That should cover it. Obviously Mother Winter is not included here in Mab's Winter.
SH[Elaine+++]