Author Topic: How big was the Boarding House?  (Read 8993 times)

Offline morriswalters

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: How big was the Boarding House?
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2018, 10:21:48 AM »
Ask JB how long it can take to build a house. ;D Having said that, he stated that it was built by GS, therefore, somehow it was built. However no keep , nor portcullis.  My credulity can only be stretched so far.

I'm intrigued as to the reason the castle was built at all. What narrative purpose does it serve?  Think about it for a second, in a residential area, JB built a medieval castle.  Granted that the neighbors are deaf, dumb and blind, given all the mayhem that has occurred at Harry's home.  But a castle?

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2018, 11:24:06 AM »
Just look one up here:

http://www.castlewales.com/listings.html

I am sure you can find one that fits in the space of a modest boarding house  ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2018, 01:25:36 PM »
Perhaps he bought the neighborhood. He can do it.  :P
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2018, 07:34:32 PM »
That assumes a lot unless he knew Harry was coming back. And according to portal mechanics as described in Skin Game that might change with The Brighter Future Society being there instead of Dresden.
Not necessarily, at the very least it is likely one of the thinner spots in a town who's veil has been Thinning for years. 

I dont really know how much (if any) of the defenses that Lea put on the NN side would remain; normally Id say they very much would Not, but I dont really get how she was able to do make the Garden in the first place without similarly changing it's Real World location and given how Edinburough's defenses seem to have remained through a change of ownership (fae to wizard) I think it's possible the location could have been changed by a Wizard's long-term residence enough to have some kind of tactical advantage aside from just the location it connects to on the NN side. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2018, 08:29:49 PM »
All we have to go on that it is all stone all the way through was Harry's "feel" with his hand as he penetrated it to the threshold that it was constant stone.  I question his ability to feel the interface between a good stone façade and solid concrete (which should feel like stone as well) attached to it underneath, though I suppose he could maybe feel rebar if that was in the mix.

So I think it distinctly possible it is not solid stone. 

If it is, however... there are some wonderful sources of stone in the upper peninsula of Michigan that could be shipped there, though I don't think there is much in the way of basalt....

Offline Gman

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2018, 08:41:43 AM »
Ask JB how long it can take to build a house. ;D Having said that, he stated that it was built by GS, therefore, somehow it was built. However no keep , nor portcullis.  My credulity can only be stretched so far.

I'm intrigued as to the reason the castle was built at all. What narrative purpose does it serve?  Think about it for a second, in a residential area, JB built a medieval castle.  Granted that the neighbors are deaf, dumb and blind, given all the mayhem that has occurred at Harry's home.  But a castle?

A castle is a lot stronger and more solid than most modern construction. A really old castle probably also has more of a threshold and more resistant to magical attack, especially from powerful non human monsters from the nevernever.  Remember Marcone got his armored safe house broken into by the Denarians. I'm pretty sure that place was a modern fortress.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 08:43:18 AM by Gman »