Author Topic: Right in the feels (favourite heartfelt moments)  (Read 7156 times)

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Right in the feels (favourite heartfelt moments)
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2018, 05:49:43 PM »
Oh man, I cried when Harry was paralyzed in Changes, and when Michael made the deal with Nicodemus to step outside the gate in Skin Game. Jim’s writing just gets stronger with every book! Can’t wait for Peace Talks. :) I also think the series keeps holding my interest because Dresden's job keeps changing. One of these days he’s taking up a coin!

Given where supposed to be getting The Carpenters finding out about Molly's job and in some, (probably non-permanent), form Murphy's funeral, (assuming JB wasn't just being a massive troll), i think thats garunteed. Hell the first chapter thats allready been released is a big hit in the feels. Also hilarious.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Molly should get this shirt.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2018, 07:18:08 PM »
Oh man, I cried when Harry was paralyzed in Changes, and when Michael made the deal with Nicodemus to step outside the gate in Skin Game. Jim’s writing just gets stronger with every book! Can’t wait for Peace Talks. :) I also think the series keeps holding my interest because Dresden's job keeps changing. One of these days he’s taking up a coin!
Precisely one of the reasons I don't like the newest books as much as the old ones. I miss supernatural P.I,. The Winter Knight is not that interesting for me.
(Still, I loved Skin Game)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2018, 03:35:05 PM »
1. Michael literally answering a prayer in Small Favor.
2. Charity's description of Michael's injuries in the same book.
3. Harry handing Maggie to Murphy at the end of Changes.
4. Harry reuniting with Mouse in Proven Guilty after he gets hit by a van.
5. Butters coming back in Dead Beat and Skin Game.

Offline Stiletto

• Posty McPostington
  • She who must not be named
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2018, 11:57:46 PM »
Given where supposed to be getting The Carpenters finding out about Molly's job and in some, (probably non-permanent), form Murphy's funeral, (assuming JB wasn't just being a massive troll), i think thats garunteed. Hell the first chapter thats allready been released is a big hit in the feels. Also hilarious.

Wait, Murphy's funeral?!? What??? And where has the “first chapter” been released.... you mean for Peace Talks? :)
DV Stiletto v1.2 YR13 FR5 BK++++ RP+ JB++ TH+ WG  CL++ SW-- BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++ Murphy +)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2018, 01:05:27 AM »
I've always loved this one:

The light of the fire blurred in front of my eyes, and a horrible pang went through my chest. "Dad?"

His hand squeezed tighter. "I'm here."

"I don't understand it," I said. "Why am I so afraid?"

"Because you've got more to lose than you ever have before," he said. "Your brother. Your friends. You've opened yourself up to them. Loved them. You can't bear the thought of someone taking them away from you."

"It's getting to be too much," I said. My voice shook. "I just keep getting more wounded and tired. They just keep coming at me. I'm not some kind of superhero. I'm just me. And I didn't want any of this. I don't want to die."

Like seriously, someone give Harry a goddamn hug right now please.

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 02:39:40 AM »
Wait, Murphy's funeral?!? What??? And where has the “first chapter” been released.... you mean for Peace Talks? :)

There was at least a reading which was transcribed, don;t know if it's been released/released. And when someone a while back asked him what he was writing in peace talks ATM he replied "Murphy's Funeral".

It's possibble he might kill Murphy off but i don't rate it very highly. Changes, Ghost Story, and Cold Days where the big shake up books. Killing Murphy off for good would be a huge sep, she's been the 2nd most important character in the books since day 1. Thomas and late rMolly occupied the next level, and then you've got people like Lara, Michael, Mab, e.t.c. occupying depending on book slots. Though weather Molly will keep her position is a big unknown, personally i doubt it. She's too powerful to be running around near Harry on a routine basis now she's the WL. Drop her into Chichen Itza and she could have killed 99% of the red court present in the first 5 seconds of the fight.

The obvious alternative is she dies, but comes back in some fashion, mabe she takes Odin up in his offer and becomes an einherjar, or maybe next book is Harry trying to find a way to resurrect her and maybe they need a version of her from another reality as a link or somthing.

The other alternative is a faked death, either on a temporary or permanent basis for some reason.

Honestly though it's a big old question mark. And i admit i'm a bit peeved that peace talks isn't here yet, (note that not a criticism, just an expression of frustration), as we got the first chapter reading ages ago.
Possibly Ivy and Molly's biggest fan, i'm too chivalrous and kind for my own damm good. A bit like a certain Wizard we all know :).

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
You don’t have to take that literally. It just means she is going to suffer and Harry is going to suffer because of that.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/47/messages/407.html

Can also be used in the third person. Murphy is going to do something dangerous.

The first chapter is released to a select incrowd so you need to know the right people to read it. Sometimes the members of this secret society forget that they are the keepers of hidden gnosis and blurb it out. The black helicopters will come.

WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2018, 05:58:07 AM »
There was at least a reading which was transcribed, don;t know if it's been released/released. And when someone a while back asked him what he was writing in peace talks ATM he replied "Murphy's Funeral".

It's possibble he might kill Murphy off but i don't rate it very highly. Changes, Ghost Story, and Cold Days where the big shake up books. Killing Murphy off for good would be a huge sep, she's been the 2nd most important character in the books since day 1. Thomas and late rMolly occupied the next level, and then you've got people like Lara, Michael, Mab, e.t.c. occupying depending on book slots. Though weather Molly will keep her position is a big unknown, personally i doubt it. She's too powerful to be running around near Harry on a routine basis now she's the WL. Drop her into Chichen Itza and she could have killed 99% of the red court present in the first 5 seconds of the fight.

The obvious alternative is she dies, but comes back in some fashion, mabe she takes Odin up in his offer and becomes an einherjar, or maybe next book is Harry trying to find a way to resurrect her and maybe they need a version of her from another reality as a link or somthing.

The other alternative is a faked death, either on a temporary or permanent basis for some reason.

Honestly though it's a big old question mark. And i admit i'm a bit peeved that peace talks isn't here yet, (note that not a criticism, just an expression of frustration), as we got the first chapter reading ages ago.
I'd say Jonny Marcone deserves to be in your top 3; apart from Murphy I think he's the only other regular to be around since Storm Front.

As to the 'feels' moments:
Changes, the final battle. It has the ups (Murphy the Avenging Angel, Lea smacking down the LoON) and downs (mostly Susan's death).

Mouse faking his injury in Turn Coat. A small one, maybe, but still powerful.

Harry versus Sharkface. Smacking an otherworldly horror down by saying your name? Awe inspiring.

Harry and Carlos entering the scene on queue (cue?) in White Night.

Wizard Sibelis

« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2018, 03:44:38 PM »
Harry versus Sharkface. Smacking an otherworldly horror down by saying your name? Awe inspiring.
Funny thought on that, outsiders change those things that aught not to be, Harry defies them specifically by defining himself with his own true description/name... reasserting the primary programming.

Offline Carl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2018, 06:06:25 PM »
You don’t have to take that literally. It just means she is going to suffer and Harry is going to suffer because of that.

https://www.phrases.org.uk/bulletin_board/47/messages/407.html

Can also be used in the third person. Murphy is going to do something dangerous.

The first chapter is released to a select incrowd so you need to know the right people to read it. Sometimes the members of this secret society forget that they are the keepers of hidden gnosis and blurb it out. The black helicopters will come.

Nah that doesn't track, it's not the way that phrase would be used grammatically speaking when talking about writing somthing.

I'd say Jonny Marcone deserves to be in your top 3; apart from Murphy I think he's the only other regular to be around since Storm Front.

As to the 'feels' moments:
Changes, the final battle. It has the ups (Murphy the Avenging Angel, Lea smacking down the LoON) and downs (mostly Susan's death).

Mouse faking his injury in Turn Coat. A small one, maybe, but still powerful.

Harry and Carlos entering the scene on queue (cue?) in White Night.

Marcones more on the Mab, Lea, Michael level, he's around in a fair few books but there's some where he's not around and others where he's not very relevant. Dead beat is the only one Murphy has skipped and she was still one of the key driving elements of the plot. Marcone is important but he's not main supporting character level, he's more important secondary character.