Author Topic: Juxtaposition, Who fixed LC?  (Read 11397 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Juxtaposition, Who fixed LC?
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2018, 04:28:29 AM »
I do not think she could. Mab was in Harry's appartment and bound to the laws of hospitality. She had to be a good guest. Commanding Bob to do something both Bob and Harry wouldn't want is against that.

Well in theory if Mab/Murphy showed up, and she acted as Murphy, and not as Mab she wouldn't have to follow the rules of hospitality.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2018, 04:33:42 AM »
If she acted as Murphy, she's got neither the knowledge to fix the thing, nor the power to compel Bob.

Nor, again, any reason to need to be Murphy for Mab to fix LC.

And I'm not entirely sure Mab can actually fix mortal magic.  Fae magic seems to be built on a different foundation, and it may require a different skill set to fix the various intricacies of LC.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2018, 05:14:42 AM »
If she acted as Murphy, she's got neither the knowledge to fix the thing, nor the power to compel Bob.

And I'm not entirely sure Mab can actually fix mortal magic.  Fae magic seems to be built on a different foundation, and it may require a different skill set to fix the various intricacies of LC.

Hmmm Unless she's helping in the time travel in which she went back with Dresden, uncover the plot to murder him, and Dresden himself fixes it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2018, 05:33:08 AM »

I think they are based on the same foundation and skill set, the Fae are just better at it.

Lea was teaching Molly.
Eldest Gruff thought Harry could teach him something.

If you can teach you can understand what someone does wrong.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2018, 06:41:10 AM »
The foundations/underlying principles are the same I think, but Fae magic plays by different rules.

For example, Harry's duster would still work against an opponent with a steel knife, but Lea's superior Magic wouldn't, because Faerie.

Offline apgrey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2018, 12:27:24 PM »
  I still vote for Evil Bob!!!

APG

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2018, 01:19:35 PM »
  I still vote for Evil Bob!!!

APG
Motive?
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2018, 01:28:58 PM »
Hmmm Unless she's helping in the time travel in which she went back with Dresden, uncover the plot to murder him, and Dresden himself fixes it.

Yeah. That crossed my mind too, except I'd say she convinced Bob to do it. Or had another Bob (TT Bob or otherwise) do it.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:31:24 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2018, 01:33:27 PM »
Why does it have to be Mab/Murphy and not just plain ol' Mab?  Other than of course that everything Mab does is Murphy and vice versa.

Well, in this case the juxtaposition may point to Murphy. I mean, Murphy fits the bill for some of these things:

He would have had to know that you had a lab down here. And he would have had to know how to get around your wards.”
“Plus intimate knowledge of the design to tinker with it like that,” I said. “To say nothing of the fact that he would have to know it existed at all, and no one does.”
“Really, really unlikely,” Bob agreed.
“Dammit.”
“Hey, I thought you loved a good mystery, Harry.”
I shook my head and started to tell him where to stick his mystery when someone knocked at the door.
Murphy stood on the other side and smiled at me.

Couple that with the fact that Murphy was Bob's custodian for awhile. It seems reasonable to assume that she could in the future gain access to him again.  Therefore gaining all the required checks on the mystery list.  And we all mostly agree that Proven Guilty likely will be revisited in the Time Travel book.  And we have time travel in Proven Guilty which ends with Murphy getting demoted for her absence while at Arctis Tor where she lost a day. Where best to have Murphy and allies inserted into Earth via time travel, where her/their earlier selves had to vacate a day on a trip to Arctis Tor.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 01:40:25 PM by raidem »

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
Couple that with the fact that Murphy was Bob's custodian for awhile. It seems reasonable to assume that she could in the future gain access to him again.  Therefore gaining all the required checks on the mystery list.  And we all mostly agree that Proven Guilty likely will be revisited in the Time Travel book.  And we have time travel in Proven Guilty which ends with Murphy getting demoted for her absence while at Arctis Tor where she lost a day. Where best to have Murphy and allies inserted into Earth via time travel, where her/their earlier selves had to vacate a day on a trip to Arctis Tor.

But she wasn't Bob's custodian before the time that L.C. was fixed..  I don't agree that the events in Proven Guilty will be revisited in time travel...  Even if possible one of the rules of time travel is you cannot go back and alter stuff...  This sets off unintended consequences, yeah, you may be fixing one thing but you could be making something else a hundred times worse for a lot of people etc...  Then again, that would be very Harry like..

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 28, 2018, 06:47:00 PM »
The point is however that if there is time travel, she has been the 'owner' of Bob and could interact with him similar to the instance in which Thomas interacts with Bob in a short story.  Therefore, Murphy could interact, via TT or without, with Bob telling him to fix something.  Perhaps, Bob has some sort of dissociative disorder that he isn't even aware of.  Murphy is able to speak to him without the other Bob part knowing.  We do know that Bob has cut off parts of his personality to create other Bob's so he is very similar to the psychological disorder: dissociative identity disorder.  Add to that he adopts the personality of new owners, there is a strong case that he does have a dissociative disorder.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 28, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
The point is however that if there is time travel, she has been the 'owner' of Bob and could interact with him similar to the instance in which Thomas interacts with Bob in a short story.  Therefore, Murphy could interact, via TT or without, with Bob telling him to fix something.  Perhaps, Bob has some sort of dissociative disorder that he isn't even aware of.  Murphy is able to speak to him without the other Bob part knowing.  We do know that Bob has cut off parts of his personality to create other Bob's so he is very similar to the psychological disorder: dissociative identity disorder.  Add to that he adopts the personality of new owners, there is a strong case that he does have a dissociative disorder.

I wouldn't exactly call her an "owner," she was the executrix of Harry's will, that doesn't make her the owner, nor does being "custodian" make her the owner anymore than being custodian means one owns the Holy Swords..  She quickly handed the skull into the care of Butters.. 

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2018, 11:26:37 PM »
She owned it for that time. She plausibly had it in hand. It would answer to her. Who knows what conversation she had with Bob.  She clearly knew what it was because she didn't want it in the hands of Molly.  And Bob did give her an assist in Changes defending her against the psychic onslaught of the Red King and the Lords of Outer Night.  I'm thinking she is aware of that too.

You quibble with nomenclature but you miss the mark. Cowl "owned" Bob for a bit while he had possession of the skull, particularly when he had it in hand.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2018, 11:31:46 PM by raidem »

Offline pcpoet

• Conversationalist
  • life is a dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2018, 12:01:39 AM »
I think a time traveling Harry with Maggie or Bonnie fixed Little Chicago.  the evidence is that harry finds a Calvin and hobs comic book in his lab and has no idea how it got there. I don't think that the author would ad this detail unless it was important. my interpretation is that who ever fixed Little Chicago left behind the comic book. I think the book belongs to Maggie or Bonnie.
I am who I am that's all that I am from my head to my toe that's all that I am.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2018, 12:26:04 AM »
I agree that whoever fixed Little Chicago left behind the comic book.  And, it likely is a hint of Bonnie's upcoming existence unless the Calvin and Hobs comic book contains some magical treatise that Harry might need to read.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2018, 12:30:10 AM by raidem »