Author Topic: Assuming Nicodemus got the Coin out.....  (Read 9260 times)

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Assuming Nicodemus got the Coin out.....
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2018, 11:24:04 AM »
Doesn't really fit Nick's MO though.

Harry. Marcone. Ivy. Goodman Grey. These are the kinds of people that Nicodemus likes to recruit- People with Will. Power. Influence. Those that can be a partner to their fallen and not merely a vessel for it. He doesn't want his Denarians to be dumb muscle- that's Tessa's style.

A Emotionally damaged former drug addict not so much.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2018, 12:34:15 PM by forumghost »

Offline huangjimmy108

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2018, 11:49:20 AM »
Doesn't really fit Nick's MO though.

Harry. Marcone. Ivy. Goodman Grey. These are the kinds of people that Nicodemus likes to recruit-
P eople with Will. Power. Influence. Those that can be a partner to their fallen and not merely a vessel for it. He doesn't want his Denarians to be dumb muscle- that's Tessa's style.

A Emotionally damaged former drug addict not so much.

That's the old Nicodemous. The current Nicodemous may have some issues.

With Dierdra gone, Nick has lost his right hand. His credibility is now ruined after he betrayed Mab and Marcone probably offering a bounty for him.

Under such pressure Nick may have to lower his recruitment standards a bit.
But they were doughnuts of darkness. Evil, damned doughnuts, tainted by the spawn of darkness . . .
    . . . which could obviously be redeemed only by passing through the fiery, cleansing inferno of a wizardly digestive tract.

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2018, 04:55:08 PM »

How is this for revenge, he figures out a way to trick Murphy into taking it..  Depending on how her recovery is going she could be vulnerable now..  He managed to sucker Harry into picking Lasciel's coin, he might pull it off with Murphy..

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2018, 05:15:08 PM »

How is this for revenge, he figures out a way to trick Murphy into taking it..  Depending on how her recovery is going she could be vulnerable now..  He managed to sucker Harry into picking Lasciel's coin, he might pull it off with Murphy..
Totally unrealistic if you know anything about Karen, she would reject the coin. She has enough knowledge, understanding and spiritual strength to do so.
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2018, 05:55:32 PM »
Totally unrealistic if you know anything about Karen, she would reject the coin. She has enough knowledge, understanding and spiritual strength to do so.

Yeah, suckering someone into touching the coin is only really valuable with a wizard who'd sacrifice their powers if they just rejected it. A vanilla can drop it just like Sanya did, if their will is strong enough.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2018, 06:49:44 PM »
I think Karen is vulnerable to one thing, Harry.  Her becoming part of Winter is most realistic to me in the sense she might get to be with him.  Hand maiden of Molly or something like that.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »
I think Karen is vulnerable to one thing, Harry.  Her becoming part of Winter is most realistic to me in the sense she might get to be with him.  Hand maiden of Molly or something like that.
Yeah, that'd go over real well.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2018, 07:07:26 PM »

Vulnerable to Harry, perhaps, but she fears Winter more than Harry does, much of the distrust and fear she has felt, perhaps mostly fear stems from that.  Perhaps she'd reject the coin, but Nic knows her weaknesses... Consider how he tricked Harry into picking up Lasciel's coin bare handed without thinking to prevent little Harry from doing so.  In the end Harry rejected the coin but it took a while and Lasciel did fill a lot needs he had..  So don't be so quick to think that Murphy will reject it out of hand, she is only human after all.   Offer her her complete physical strength and speed plus more to help Harry in the fight?  She might think if Harry was able to resist the temptations  of a full partnership while benefiting, that she might also..   All I am saying is don't underestimate Nic, if there is a way to do it and screw Harry good, he will do it, Murphy would be the perfect pawn is all I am saying.. And who knows that strange dream Harry had in Skin Game of Murphy with Lasciel's coin could have just been a warning, but it might also be foreshadowing to be sprung on us in a later book.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2018, 07:07:33 PM »
Yeah, that'd go over real well.

Well other than that I don't see her taking up a Mantle or anything.  The only reason she'd do it is for Harry.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2018, 08:04:12 PM »
Offer her her complete physical strength and speed plus more to help Harry in the fight?  She might think if Harry was able to resist the temptations  of a full partnership while benefiting, that she might also.

If she really can't cope with limited mobility in her leg after her injury, there's always that job offer with Monoc from Ms. Gard. That would come with their "great health plan" without enslaving her to a fallen. She's not in as bad a place to be tempted from as if it was coin or nothing.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2018, 08:32:53 PM »
Well other than that I don't see her taking up a Mantle or anything.  The only reason she'd do it is for Harry.
Murphy becoming Molly's hand maiden for Harry's sake? Not bloody likely.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2018, 08:55:55 PM »
Murphy becoming Molly's hand maiden for Harry's sake? Not bloody likely.

Totally agree..

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2018, 08:58:32 PM »
If she really can't cope with limited mobility in her leg after her injury, there's always that job offer with Monoc from Ms. Gard. That would come with their "great health plan" without enslaving her to a fallen. She's not in as bad a place to be tempted from as if it was coin or nothing.

But that offer was before she was injured...  I also doubt that even that job offer came without strings, especially if she because healed as a result.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2018, 09:11:48 PM »
But that offer was before she was injured...  I also doubt that even that job offer came without strings, especially if she because healed as a result.

Of course it comes with strings. Being a mercenary hired out to whoever Vadderung tells you you're working for, potentially including the likes of Marcone. That's still exponentially better than the Fallen's terms though.

And they're hardly likely to pull the offer over an injury that a valkyrie would heal from in, like, a couple hours.

Offline LordDresden2

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2018, 03:15:45 AM »

Everyone has their weaknesses.  Harry's was his daughter.  Murphy's is her friends, Harry, her city, her family.  Corner her, make her desperate, face with the sadistic choice of horrible harm to the above and taking a Coin...there's no way to be sure what a mortal will do in such a situation, it's what Tolkien called a 'trembling moment'.