Author Topic: Body Slam title meaning guesses  (Read 2632 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Body Slam title meaning guesses
« on: June 11, 2018, 07:42:11 PM »
Seems that the titles of the dresden files have hidden meanings.  For example Skin Game to me is talking about Goodman Grey's double cross of Nicodemus.  What do you think Body Slam could mean if there is a hidden meaning?  One of the definitions of slam is prison.  I was thinking Body Prison may have a meaning?  I dunno, just thought of it.  What would you think?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Body Slam title meaning guesses
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 07:49:19 PM »
Seems that the titles of the dresden files have hidden meanings.  For example Skin Game to me is talking about Goodman Grey's double cross of Nicodemus.  What do you think Body Slam could mean if there is a hidden meaning?  One of the definitions of slam is prison.  I was thinking Body Prison may have a meaning?  I dunno, just thought of it.  What would you think?
I like it.  We know it will involve gods and Wrestling.  My first thought was some more Body-snatching like Corpsetaker was doing.  Maybe these gods are having issues maintaining their mortal forms and need to change them out periodically?

Also: what might it look like if it is "Body Slam" but along the lines of a "Poetry Slam"?

PS Fwiw Id say the Skin Game title was also referencing how many sleeper fallen were hiding in other people's skin.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 07:52:20 PM »
I like it.  We know it will involve gods and Wrestling.  My first thought was some more Body-snatching like Corpsetaker was doing.  Maybe these gods are having issues maintaining their mortal forms and need to change them out periodically?

Also: what might it look like if it is "Body Slam" but along the lines of a "Poetry Slam"?

I looked up Poetry slam:
Slam poetry is a form of competitive performance poetry in which participants offer works no longer than three minutes and are judged by (1 )randomly picked audience members. The winners then progress to higher rounds with new pieces, and the poet with the highest score in the finals wins a cash prize.

You know if you take that, and apply it to wrestling, and the way power changes in the dresdenverse and that could work really well!
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 09:13:47 PM »
Or someone is slamming back demigod bodies (and their powers) like a case of beer.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 12:18:08 AM »
I am thinking that it could mean "body slam" as the wrestling move and "body" as corpse being thrown down "slam" to the ground. Where what seems to be an obvious cause of death is not the real cause of death. Any Greek mythology references about "falling bodies" other than, say,  Icarius?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 06:13:13 AM »
I am thinking that it could mean "body slam" as the wrestling move and "body" as corpse being thrown down "slam" to the ground. Where what seems to be an obvious cause of death is not the real cause of death. Any Greek mythology references about "falling bodies" other than, say,  Icarius?
  Remember, this might not be just about Greek deities (correct me if I'm wrong).  Most (if not all) pantheons in real-world religions are very real in the DF universe, so who knows who's gonna show up.  I'd bet money on Zeus, 'cus of course he'd be there, and probably Thor.  I could see Enlil showing up, along with any one of about a thousand Hindu warrior gods.  Horus or Ra might be a really popular face character, Set might be a heel (with a parallel about how he was once considered benevolent in ancient Egypt and became demonized over time).  Quetzalcoatl might show up as a luchador (though that might be offensive in some way).
  There's really just too much myth to pinpoint a single "falling body" parallel.

Offline Mpol

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 09:01:11 AM »
As suggested in another thread, if slam also means prison, perhaps the gods are in a prison like context, dualing it out?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 11:16:44 AM »
As suggested in another thread, if slam also means prison, perhaps the gods are in a prison like context, dualing it out?

Yes, the slammer.. In wrestling it a body slam is when one wrestler picks up the opponent and  "slams" him or her on the mat hard on his or her back..   On Demonreach Harry is the Warden of the monster prison or slammer..   

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
All I have to say is if nobody body slams anyone in the book, I'm going to be pissed.

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2018, 10:33:20 AM »
I just figured it was based on how Jim spelled out that they've all got pro wrestling careers nowadays because that gets them more worship than the old approach.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.