Author Topic: Question about beer bottles  (Read 6377 times)

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Question about beer bottles
« on: June 11, 2018, 09:53:57 PM »
How is everyone in the Dresden files able to pop the caps off beer bottles with just their thumbs?  That’s not something just anyone can do if they lack superhuman strength.  Does JB just not understand this or are all the beer bottles like “Grolsch”?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Question about beer bottles
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 10:52:50 PM »
Well, most of the people drinking Mac's beer *are* super powered.  Billy and Thomas are both qualified.  Harry and Murphy aren't, but he's a Starborn, and she's Irish

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2018, 01:25:04 AM »
ERROR CODE 54802685689-269700-164233
You just uncovered evidence that this whole thing is a holographic simulation projected from the future. Please remain stationary while your pattern is adjusted.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 01:39:30 AM by Ananda »

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2018, 05:33:46 AM »
How is everyone in the Dresden files able to pop the caps off beer bottles with just their thumbs?  That’s not something just anyone can do if they lack superhuman strength.  Does JB just not understand this or are all the beer bottles like “Grolsch”?
  Jim has stated before he never used to drink alcohol.  In fact, in VA he mentioned he didn't have his first drink till he was 44.  Also, in Skin Game they need the might of Mjolnir to open some of Mac's brews.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2018, 02:23:59 PM »
I thought only Mac himself did that?  I know harry and Michael have used bottle-openers.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2018, 03:00:51 PM »
I don't know how anyone does that without mangling their thumbs. If you wear a ring made of something not too soft you can use that once you get the hang of it though.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2018, 03:05:50 PM »
I don't know how anyone does that without mangling their thumbs. If you wear a ring made of something not too soft you can use that once you get the hang of it though.
A tough enough callous on your thumb would protect it from the metal fine, and past that it just takes a certain amount of finger strength and a bit of a leverage trick. 

OR, since Mac does his own bottling he might just be using bottles and a press that do not latch them on as strongly as commercial bottles.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2018, 03:38:37 PM »
My brother-in-law, Champion Beer Drinker (literally; he has a trophy) is able to do it. I think the trick is to twist the bottle, not your hand.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
Mac wouldn't use modern caps I don't think.  I think he'd be using something more like this:

« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 07:04:04 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2018, 06:58:44 PM »
Slowpool,

Jim has stated before he never used to drink alcohol.  In fact, in VA he mentioned he didn't have his first drink till he was 44.  Also, in Skin Game they need the might of Mjolnir to open some of Mac's brews.

Up to, at least, Proven Guilty they were popping the caps off bear bottles with their thumbs.  Mack, Harry, and Murphy included.
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2018, 06:59:54 PM »
groinkick,

Mac wouldn't use modern caps I don't think.  I think he'd using something more like this:

That's why I asked about the "Grolsch" bottles.  Those would make sense.  But even those are tough to open with just your thumb.

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2018, 07:08:24 PM »
Anyone say what kind of beer it was? 

Here is someone doing it with just their thumb.  Someone said it's a miller light, and they are twist tops and that's how he did it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP-AYn6VpmE
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2018, 07:17:34 PM »
Yea, you can find Eagle Claw Kung Fu guys on youtube literally ripping holes in the sides of cans with their fingers. I can see someone who tends a bar developing said ability on a standard human level. Or regular drinker I suppose.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2018, 11:23:59 PM »
Since Mac is running a microbrewery, it could be that they're pop-off tops that aren't sealed incredibly tight.  Mac seems prone to pour workmanship.

See what I did there?  Huh?  Huh?  Muahahahahaha! 

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2018, 11:46:04 PM »
Heh.. That gave me stomach cramps.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير