Author Topic: Nightmares and Dreams and Haunts. Zoo Day and Day One spoilers  (Read 2394 times)

Offline ItsallSuesfault

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook/SoapBox
In Zoo Day Maggie faces down a group of creatures called haunts that cause someone to basically relive their worst fear. In Day One Butters faces down a baku, a vreature born from the nightmares of children. Could a hunt be a baku that is all grown up?
DV Geek Code 1.2 BK++ YR 7  JB+ TH++ CL+++ BC++ MC+ SH(Molly)+++ SH(Murphy)+ SH-(Mab) Elaine=Future Knight of Summer/Former Necromancer.

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Nightmares and Dreams and Haunts. Zoo Day and Day One spoilers
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 12:35:48 PM »
I think they're related, but unique creatures. Haunts whittle down children by presenting them with their fears to take possession of them. A Baku-Baku feeds off of fears of children (and adults) by causing them nightmares. They're both phobophages, but their modus operandis seem different. Haunts also seem to be a new type of creature that exclusively feed on children and can be seen by them (as hinted by Jim several times before when he's spoken about a potential young adult series).

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 04:44:34 PM »
I think they're related, but unique creatures. Haunts whittle down children by presenting them with their fears to take possession of them. A Baku-Baku feeds off of fears of children (and adults) by causing them nightmares. They're both phobophages, but their modus operandis seem different. Haunts also seem to be a new type of creature that exclusively feed on children and can be seen by them (as hinted by Jim several times before when he's spoken about a potential young adult series).

I don't think they are new at all, I think they use whoever, in this case children to taken down their victim.   Harry didn't see them not because he is an adult, though both Maggie seems to think this is why, but because he has full control over his wizard's sight.  He has often said he doesn't like to use it unless he needs to because what he might see and what he sees will be with him always.   Maggie hasn't learned that kind of control yet, so she sees the Haunts, so does Mouse but he is old enough to realize  that the children are not the Haunts, but are being used by the Haunts.

Offline Darkest-Before-Dawn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 06:31:05 PM »
I don't think they are new at all, I think they use whoever, in this case children to taken down their victim.   

Sorry, I wasn't clear, new to the story. Not new to the world.

Offline Slowpool

• Conversationalist
  • You aren't my REAL dad.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 04:31:12 AM »
I don't think they are new at all, I think they use whoever, in this case children to taken down their victim.   Harry didn't see them not because he is an adult, though both Maggie seems to think this is why, but because he has full control over his wizard's sight.  He has often said he doesn't like to use it unless he needs to because what he might see and what he sees will be with him always.   Maggie hasn't learned that kind of control yet, so she sees the Haunts, so does Mouse but he is old enough to realize  that the children are not the Haunts, but are being used by the Haunts.
WoJ is that only children can perceive and interact with this new pantheon of monsters Jim is introducing for the YA series, and that you forget about them when you grow up.  Molly forgot, Daniel forgot, and presumably even Lil' Harry has forgotten (or will soon, kid's gettin' big).  Doesn't seem to have anything to do with Wizard's Sight.  Even if it did, methinks Maggie would see a hell of a lot more with her Sight than just Haunts (and therefore comment on it), and Harry would notice her burgeoning gift immediately.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 05:23:40 PM »
Dont forget that the Baku Baku that appeared is specifically a new evolution of phobophage that only dates back to the 90's.  So, if they are related I would suspect something more along the lines of the Haunt's being the thing harry was theorizing about when he said the Baku Toy campsign might have "[given] access to something similar from the NeverNever that used that belief to create a place for itself in reality." 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain