Author Topic: Big Apocalyptic Trilogy Theory  (Read 7180 times)

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Big Apocalyptic Trilogy Theory
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2018, 02:12:17 PM »
I'm spoiling this. It's about a Dean Koontz series.

(click to show/hide)

Personally, my money is on Dresden becoming something Grander at the end of the BAT rather than dying.

EDIT: I didn't spoil it, I quoted it. Sorry!
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 03:27:54 PM by Kindler »

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 02:30:22 PM »
I'm spoiling this. It's about a Dean Koontz series.

Personally, my money is on Dresden becoming something Grander at the end of the BAT rather than dying.
"Grander" seems like too much of a "Happily Ever After".  More likely he's stuck sitting around all day haunting Mort
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2018, 03:32:15 PM »
"Grander" seems like too much of a "Happily Ever After".  More likely he's stuck sitting around all day haunting Mort

I meant more like he becomes something different, like Vadderung. A new, modern Mantle-type being. Not really a happily-ever-after ending, and not quite a "the adventure continues" either. Though I guess that would kinda violate the whole Free Will is Pretty Awesome, Actually theme. I dunno. But I don't see how Harry finishes the series as just a wizard, or as the Winter Knight, or anything like that. He'll be something More than he is now, and not just in a personal growth way.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2018, 07:10:29 PM »
He hasnt even been alive during all the Books themselves; there's absolutely zero requirement for him to be alive to write these books.  Dead and Gone are wildly different things in the DV, especially with Harry.

That's why I said 'past tense'  he is writing about events that happened in the past, as a memoir.  He is not writing in the present tense, as the events are happening, there fore, he wrote about being a ghost after he came back to life.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2018, 10:43:38 PM »
That's why I said 'past tense'  he is writing about events that happened in the past, as a memoir.  He is not writing in the present tense, as the events are happening, there fore, he wrote about being a ghost after he came back to life.
Nope, not at all.  My whole point was that in the Dresden Files you do not have to be deadALIVE to be able to write a book, or event to be able to write a book and share it with Mortals.  So yes, Harry can still very much be dead at the end of the series and still be writing theses books after the fact. 

EDIT: Alive, I meant Alive..
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:37:07 AM by Quantus »
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 01:29:59 AM »
As for the BAT being in the present, that'd be swell, but I hope to God he isn't going to write it in present tense. Present tense fiction is extremely irritating to read. Too many f*(&ing gerunds. Simple past FTW.
I’m still hoping for second person, future tense.

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2018, 05:26:38 AM »
Nope, not at all.  My whole point was that in the Dresden Files you do not have to be deadALIVE to be able to write a book, or event to be able to write a book and share it with Mortals.  So yes, Harry can still very much be dead at the end of the series and still be writing theses books after the fact. 

EDIT: Alive, I meant Alive..

Only if he's doing it through Mort or someone else like him.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2018, 12:42:33 PM »
Only if he's doing it through Mort or someone else like him.
Oh sure, he'd need a mechanism of communication.  But Mort or Fitz or maybe demonreach or Butters and Molly or likely most Council Wizards would be able to work something out, it's not that hard or rare in-world.  Assuming Harry doesnt manage it himself, with his own I-Died-and-Got-Better shenanigans (which we're told was more significant than he knows)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline Jcarlson171

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 12:13:36 AM »
Another possibility that becoming something grander would be that he losses it all winter knight, demonreach, his magic, etc. and becomes something like mac who is "out"

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 12:15:46 AM »
To be out of the game? May be a good thing for Harry.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »
To be out of the game? May be a good thing for Harry.
Retirement does look nice.  Assuming his package is in any way similar to Michael's
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/