Author Topic: Fist full of Warlocks spoilers Possible clue about Cowl?  (Read 13650 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Fist full of Warlocks spoilers Possible clue about Cowl?
« on: June 06, 2018, 06:27:37 PM »
Alright this is kind of a long shot, I know.  However Jim has said he likes to drop clues for people to find, and when they read a future book it makes sense.  Harry noted that when Cowl was casting the ritual that his wrists were covered in scars.  Well could this be a clue of his identity?  Perhaps.  In Fists full of warlocks when Kemmler made his escape from being hogtied, he left large amounts of flesh on the ropes.  Could this have been what the scars on Cowl's wrists were caused by?  Kemmler faked his death something like 7 times.  Perhaps he faked it again.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Fist full of Warlocks spoilers Possible clue about Cowl?
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 06:41:55 PM »
Wouldn't the other heirs know that Cowl was Kemmler?
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 06:53:40 PM »
Wouldn't the other heirs know that Cowl was Kemmler?

Faking your death isn't very effective if others know about it.  He showed disdain for the "kemmlerites".  I think those others were just people vying for power, and not his allies.  Kumori probably knows who he is, and the senior members of the Black Council.  So probably a very small number of really big time players.  I see him as Palpatine as a Senator kind of.  Most bad guys that know of Cowl don't really know who he is, only that he's powerful, dangerous, and not to be questioned.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2018, 07:27:32 PM »
In Cowl's words:

"I have nothing but disdain for the madman Kemmler," he spat.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2018, 07:32:33 PM »
In Cowl's words:

For someone who has disdain for the "madman" he sure seems to be walking down the same path, going as far as trying to become a Dark God.  Also he's a vicious killer.  Bob took on his personality once in his control...  Bob became cold, and willing to kill without hesitation.

this is just a theory, and by no means am I claiming that I know Cowl must be Kemmler.  Just  a thought that the scars on the wrists had some importance or they wouldn't have even been mentioned. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 07:39:59 PM by groinkick »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2018, 08:08:37 PM »
Agreed that the scars are an important detail and probably a clue about Cowl's identity, I just don't think he's Kemmler. And recall the conversation he has with Harry, where he states, "I don't perceive myself to be mad." So he spits on Kemmler's name and calls him a madman, then later claims he doesn't think he, himself, is insane.

Only possibility I can see is Cowl not realizing that he was Kemmler; too many bodyswaps left his personality in flux until he became Cowl, and perceived Kemmler as a wholly different, and abhorrent, entity.

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
Just a note: Bob took on the personality because Cowl made him remember all what he learned under Kemmler.
And why the hell would Kemmler need to steal a spirit of memory to remember his own writing? You don't forget something this vital, even when Grevane read it, he said something like: It's so simple!
Cowl is NOT Kemmler.
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2018, 12:59:11 AM »
Even on the generous assumption that none of his body swaps were after Fistful of Warlocks, that leaves a century and a quarter for wizard healing to do its work getting rid of scars. I don't see it as plausible.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2018, 04:07:26 AM »
Even on the generous assumption that none of his body swaps were after Fistful of Warlocks, that leaves a century and a quarter for wizard healing to do its work getting rid of scars. I don't see it as plausible.

First do wizards lose their scars completely?  Their healing is superior but not so sure that they don't keep some of the wound.  Second if they do heal completely, then Cowl's wounds would be more recent...  Burns perhaps?  Justin maybe? 

Cowl is NOT Kemmler.

Only Sith deal in absolutes!

Offline TheCuriousFan

• Special Collections Division
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2018, 04:51:12 AM »
First do wizards lose their scars completely?  Their healing is superior but not so sure that they don't keep some of the wound.  Second if they do heal completely, then Cowl's wounds would be more recent...  Burns perhaps?  Justin maybe? 

Yes, the marks disappear entirely with time. It's how Butters noticed wizard healing in the first place, one of Harry's bones healed, left a mark and then fixed the mark.
Currently dealing with a backlog of games.

If you want me to type up a book quote or find a WoJ quote, send me a PM.

Rest in peace mdodd.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2018, 04:52:47 AM »
Yeah.  I don't buy Cowl being Justin who is also Kemmler, but I do mostly agree with the part about scars.  Given time, the scars should fade thanks to the wizard healing, but as we saw and still see with Harry's hand, major scar damage can linger for a while.
Says the guy saying "only."

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2018, 06:18:52 AM »
Groin, I've had the same thought, but if you remember, now so are Harry's wrists covered in scars, from manacles, baseball bats, tiny hooks, ect. Granted Harry an Kemmler have the whole mirror opposite thing going, But the clues so put forth can still lead back to either.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2018, 11:50:56 AM »
Says the guy saying "only."
Nah, I think the statement is perfectly accurate  ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Fcrate

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2018, 11:54:38 AM »
Darth Sexious is my secret name :P
هل أخذت الغاب مثلي منزلاً دون القصور
فتتبعت السواقي وتسلقت الصخور
هل تحممت بعطره وتنشفت بنور
وشربت الفجر خمراً من كؤوس من أثير

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2018, 12:31:21 PM »
First do wizards lose their scars completely?

I think the last description of Harry's burn scar was that it was significantly improved but still ugly enough to cover most of the time. But from Butters' description of the broken bones fusing back together, anything that's well on the way to healed after six or seven years where it shouldn't improve at all for a vanilla is probably going to get all the way better eventually.