Author Topic: Could Mavra be under Eb's control?  (Read 25669 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Could Mavra be under Eb's control?
« on: May 26, 2018, 05:17:08 PM »
When Harry was badly burned Mavra made her escape....  We never really know what Eb was doing at the time.  Locking down her magic somehow...  Here is the thing.  Does anyone else find it odd that Blackstaff Mccoy, a very powerful wizard who was Captain of the Wardens, and who's living is to hunt down dangerous, and powerful things that would target the White Council would not have found her when she was making her leave from the scene? 

I'm wondering if at that time he did find her, and as the Blackstaff used Necromancy to control her.  At a later date Eb used her to get the Book of Kemmler, something that sounds like it would fall under the Blackstaff's duty to get a hold of.

What say you?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Could Mavra be under Eb's control?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 07:17:26 PM »
Controlling something with necromancy seems fairly concentration-intensive from all the other examples we've seen. Being half a world away fighting a couple pitched battles with the Red Court seems like less than ideal circumstances.

If he needs Harry to get it for him, just telling him there's a book of seriously bad juju on the market in his town and he needs to stow his feelings about the blackstaff revelation for a few days and go get it before someone else does seems like a more direct solution than puppeting Mavra into blackmailing Harry.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 02:34:24 AM »
I'm sure eb has plans involving mavra.  I seriously doubt he didn't know exactly who Harry was going up against in blood rites.  But I'd imagine even probably also thought Harry needed lessons.  And I think mavra has been successful at teaching Harry via burned hand, etc.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Jack of Hearts

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2018, 03:33:46 AM »
I'm not exactly sure what was going on but it did feel odd to me that Eb didn't do more during that rescue mission other than lock down Mavra's magic. Why wouldn't he do more? From what I remember even Kincaid wasn't confident that they would make it out alive and he's supposedly on Eb's level. It feels like at the very least there was something else going on during that time that we aren't aware of yet.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2018, 03:35:54 AM »
From a story point, I find it unlikely that a major adversary is going to then suddenly be under the control of an ally of Harry.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2018, 05:50:08 PM »
From a story point, I find it unlikely that a major adversary is going to then suddenly be under the control of an ally of Harry.

think about what it really means though....  Eb didn't tell Harry he had her under control.  He used Mavra to blackmail Harry so he could get the Book of Kemmler...  From a story point of view it means Harry's relationship with Eb would be destroyed.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2018, 08:45:48 PM »
Bah.  I find it very unlikely Eb or anyone could have perfect control in a situation like that even if Eb had control of her.  I think it more likely that Eb either has foresight or has a better understanding of what Mavra is after.  It is clear that Mavra has found Harry useful to her, which is why she really hasn't planned to end him.  Eb likely has his hand in things.  He may pretty much know how things will tend to play out and really didn't think Harry under the circumstances in BR to be in much danger.

Some of my crazier Wag's:
I've liked thinking that the Murphy Family Reunion will somehow, someday get associated with a Fae Family Reunion.  Maybe with Mother Murphy taking on the role of one of the Mothers, Murphy's brother(s) as some figures, etc.  I've thought that perhaps the Murphy family reunion will get transported in time, something like may have happened in the Unseelie Incursion 1994 when Milwaukee vanished from the map and was replaced with untouched forest.  Yes, I realize we don't know it was 'transported in time,' but we do know it seems the ancient forest was 'transported in time'.  It stands to reason that Milwaukee may have been too.  Anyways, I have this idea where Eb has this inkiling of who Mab's true identity, etc and gets to meet her/Murphy for the first time.  Then, they go on to a family reunion where the Blackstaff stands on the sidelines as one of the future/past/alternate realities' Mothers (Mother Murphy) tends to the extended family.

Anyways, those are kinda my wandering thoughts.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:56:23 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2018, 09:09:10 AM »
Just to answer the OP, I highly doubt Eb was controlling Mavra at anytime in the series.  However, I found it strange Ebenezer had something that could specifically target and lock down her magic.  Also, he didn't want to talk about how he planned to do so.   Though it didn't interfer with Mavra's ability to remain under a veil while photographing Murphy kill the Reinfield. 

I wonder if sometime in the future; if Harry decides to tell Ebenezer that Mavra is still among the living undead, the old man will feel like sharing his secret and perhaps tell Harry about any past dealings he had with Mavra.  My guess is Eb and Mavra have some past history.  Wouldn't it be funny if Ebenezer dated Mavra before she was turned?  Ok, I know, that's just silly. 
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2018, 03:55:04 PM »
My guess is Eb and Mavra have some past history.  Wouldn't it be funny if Ebenezer dated Mavra before she was turned?  Ok, I know, that's just silly.

WOJ was that Mavra is from the late 1400's or so, therefore predating Eb's birth by quite a bit. She might be one of the first few blamps turned by Dracula.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2018, 06:15:03 PM »
WOJ was that Mavra is from the late 1400's or so, therefore predating Eb's birth by quite a bit. She might be one of the first few blamps turned by Dracula.

Perhaps she has relations to someone else like Mab.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2018, 07:43:53 PM »
Eh, if she's as skilled with magic as she seems, she could have been a wizard before she was turned and thus possibly still be human enough to date Eb.

Hell, depending on how skilled she is vs Eb, she could have been turned and still dated him without him knowing.

I mean, I doubt it, but there's ways it could happen.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2018, 08:09:08 PM »
Eh, if she's as skilled with magic as she seems, she could have been a wizard before she was turned and thus possibly still be human enough to date Eb.

Hell, depending on how skilled she is vs Eb, she could have been turned and still dated him without him knowing.

I mean, I doubt it, but there's ways it could happen.

Perhaps his mother in law LoL

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2018, 06:55:59 AM »

In a word?  No...

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2018, 11:28:28 AM »
I'm gonna say probably not. Mavra is a Council-level mage herself, and if any wizard necromancer could control you, you'd find countermeasures right quick. Considering how Mavra went out of her way to secure the Word of Kemmler and Dresden says it's specifically the Word that can be used against the BC, it's probably necessary to control a BCV.

And just because Ebenezer is allowed to break the law doesn't mean he knows everything about doing so.
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2018, 03:09:02 PM »
However, I found it strange Ebenezer had something that could specifically target and lock down her magic.  Also, he didn't want to talk about how he planned to do so. 

Harry did the same thing with Kravos in between storm front and fool moon.  Granted Harry had hair, but eb wasn't much phased by not having that, but if I can remember He said it would be more like a wet blanket.