Author Topic: AI and Magic  (Read 6527 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: AI and Magic
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 06:31:41 PM »
Im not sure how #1 factors in, since there are tons of magic-using entities that are not humans, bob being the ideal example. 

Regarding #2, In terms of the DV, how do you define Created?  Would creating a technological container for a Spirit count, or would you want a more ground-up genesis on the scale of like the Dragons creating the dragons?

Key word here is SPIRIT..  A computer is nothing more than lines of code typed by people into a machine.  It is not alive, has no spirit, no soul, and is not sentient.  Any sentient's it display's is programmed to mimic sentient's without actually having it.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
Key word here is SPIRIT..  A computer is nothing more than lines of code typed by people into a machine.  It is not alive, has no spirit, no soul, and is not sentient.  Any sentient's it display's is programmed to mimic sentient's without actually having it.

You could argue that a 'named' coded personality (ala Jarvis and Friday) could have more to it then just 1 and 0's due to having a name in the DV. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 06:56:14 PM »
You could argue that a 'named' coded personality (ala Jarvis and Friday) could have more to it then just 1 and 0's due to having a name in the DV.

Have Names been shown to give sentient's to anything in the DV?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2018, 08:47:33 PM »
In our world sure, but in our world there is no NeverNever full of spirits just itching for any connection to the Human World that might let them interact with it.  Of the traits you listed, only a Spirit is needed for sentient AI, since the Soul is optional and "Alive" isnt really a useful descriptor in general.

Have Names been shown to give sentient's to anything in the DV?
We've seen where a toy marketing campaign was enough to create a new Monster, which is the same general process Im picturing here.

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2018, 10:40:15 PM »
It’s funny you posted this. I had written and then deleted a post last month joking about this topic. Essentially, the “god” court and all minions are AI and the denarians infect via nanotechnology with the coin as a vector and power source.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
Regarding Ivy, as I understand things even if the Archive didnt innately grant Magic on it's own, Ivy was born to a actively magic-using lineage going back most of Human History, so I think it is all but inevitable that said Bloodline would have developed/mutated Magical capabilities through chronic exposure.

I'm mostly thinking about Ivy's magic use as an exponentially greater example of Victor Sells. He didn't really have all that much power, fueling his stuff with rituals and thunderstorms, but he was able to do enough research to do some reasonably powerful things. If he was as smart as Butters, with a teacher like Bob, I think he might've been able to do quite a lot. With no magic, Butters was able to mix potions and make mind fog bombs. I don't know if Bob was powering the skateboard, but I doubt he had anything to do with those other two things.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2018, 02:29:23 PM »
I'm mostly thinking about Ivy's magic use as an exponentially greater example of Victor Sells. He didn't really have all that much power, fueling his stuff with rituals and thunderstorms, but he was able to do enough research to do some reasonably powerful things. If he was as smart as Butters, with a teacher like Bob, I think he might've been able to do quite a lot. With no magic, Butters was able to mix potions and make mind fog bombs. I don't know if Bob was powering the skateboard, but I doubt he had anything to do with those other two things.
He didnt get his power boosts from research or learning, he made a Bargain with something to Grant him power, this was the main distinction between a real wizard and a warlock "hack"
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2018, 06:51:02 PM »
We've seen where a toy marketing campaign was enough to create a new Monster, which is the same general process Im picturing here.

Belief created a monster...  That's not AI.  Even if Belief created some sort of Robot, it would be some sort of spiritually created robot.  Not a computer programmed machine.  If that did happen the spirit/robot thing would be completely limited by the Belief that created it.  So unless the Believers were thinking about a magic casting robot it would not have access to magic.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2018, 06:53:10 PM »
Belief created a monster...  That's not AI.  Even if Belief created some sort of Robot, it would be some sort of spiritually created robot.  Not a computer programmed machine.  If that did happen the spirit/robot thing would be completely limited by the Belief that created it.  So unless the Believers were thinking about a magic casting robot it would not have access to magic.
Why would the scientists need to understand the literal magical underpinnings to utilize this universal mechanic, but the children did not?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2018, 07:20:41 PM »
Why would the scientists need to understand the literal magical underpinnings to utilize this universal mechanic, but the children did not?

When something is created by Belief, the thing created is limited by what the exact Belief was.  The topic is about could AI use magic.  So if AI was created via Belief, the Belief would have to include that the AI could utilize magic.  If it's just a Robot entity created via Belief then it would be a robot that acted like a robot, and nothing more.

If a deity gains the power of lightning because the Belief was he could use lightning, he cannot start throwing around fire because that wasn't part of the Belief.

Offline Quantus

• Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2018, 07:43:52 PM »
When something is created by Belief, the thing created is limited by what the exact Belief was.  The topic is about could AI use magic.  So if AI was created via Belief, the Belief would have to include that the AI could utilize magic.  If it's just a Robot entity created via Belief then it would be a robot that acted like a robot, and nothing more.

If a deity gains the power of lightning because the Belief was he could use lightning, he cannot start throwing around fire because that wasn't part of the Belief.
Ah, ok well I really just disagree with everything you just asserted.  It could be, but I cant think of anything to support the limitations you are placing on it. All the similar instances we have are nowhere near as Absolutely Literal as you describe, from the sword-wielding Santa Claus on down to the toy-monster in Day-One.  Im confident the children did not know anythign about the NeverNever, for example. And Disney does not in any way accurately reflect the Fae but it still gives them a foothold in the Mortal World. 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2018, 07:48:15 PM »
Ah, ok well I really just disagree with everything you just asserted.

Fair enough