Author Topic: Will Harry get pulled through a mirror?  (Read 5399 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Will Harry get pulled through a mirror?
« on: April 17, 2018, 05:32:33 PM »
In the past Harry spoke of not liking mirrors and their dangers.  So do you think in Mirror Mirror he will get pulled through a mirror from his alter ego???
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Will Harry get pulled through a mirror?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:47:33 PM »
We know that Fetches travel through reflective surfaces. It is not to far of a stretch to imagine someone summoning someone or something through a mirror. I would label this plausible.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 07:02:48 PM »
Corollary question: will Harry's alter ego come through to this side of the Mirror as a result?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2018, 07:14:44 PM »
Na, but I bet when he summons Harry he has to look in a mirror in order to pull his duplicate from another realm. So it's likely a mirror.... it'd be Crazy if a mirror was looked into in each of those books at that point in time in our timeline, I know he has to use mirrors even if not to look directly at himself.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:26:57 PM »
Corollary question: will Harry's alter ego come through to this side of the Mirror as a result?

I'm guessing not. The summoning duplicates strategy is a lot less useful if you have to abandon all your prepared strongholds, plots and alliances to go live in the victim's universe after pulling them over to take the fall for you.

Plus Jim teased the plot as alt-Harry summons prime Harry and gets more than he bargained for. It's just fundamentally more interesting if the two of them are in direct conflict rather than switching universes.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 01:43:03 PM »
I didn't realize this fact for a very long time but there are many (like 13 or 13+) mirrors in Mac's bar.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 05:47:49 PM »
I didn't realize this fact for a very long time but there are many (like 13 or 13+) mirrors in Mac's bar.

Strange...  Wonder why he has no apparent fear of them?
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Lost Merlin

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 06:04:30 PM »
accorded neutral ground?

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2018, 06:07:38 PM »
Strange...  Wonder why he has no apparent fear of them?

Maybe mirror travelers all really like his beer.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2018, 06:35:24 AM »
Maybe mirror travelers all really like his beer.
Think of DR and MW and her cottage, he keeps them around himself in balance to those whom abuse them and do not stay neutral.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2018, 01:02:40 PM »
Amber Alert:

I'm reminded of Amber's shroudlings, a sort of high-principled ghouls who only eat “those the world might be better off without” and "a race of beings who can enter normal space through mirrors; their world is on the other side and they seek to remain unknown as much as possible, not least because they seem to be dying off, in some part due to a beast known as a Guisel. Shroudlings also have the ability to prevent conscious notice and to remove memory of their appearance and actions in mortal realms. They can also ‘lock’ a mirror behind them to prevent beings from entering or leaving through a mirror. Rhanda, it turns out, regards Merlin as a ‘pet’, of whom she is fond."

The following is part of an essay on Zelazny's short story's and what it means for the plot proper.

(click to show/hide)

http://stolenthunder.blogspot.com/2010/01/continued-chronicles-of-amber-2-what.html

Anyways, reading that I'm reminded of two things, the Wonderland Bar (think of a bar with creatures in Alice and Wonderland in it, it is also kinda stuck in place/time a bit) and the Vorpal Sword associated with the killing of the Guisel. Merlin had used it previously to kill a Fire Angel that had been sent to kill him, but that had intervened with a Jabberwock too.  Jabberwock fled after big fight with Fire Angel.

The reference to the vorpal sword and jabberwock is also made in Dresden Files.  I believe it is made in Dead Beat when he has a dream of his father.
"What is that?" I asked.
"Beware the Jabberwock, my son," he said. He took a sip of his coffee and regarded the motion in the trees without fear. "You know what it is. You know what it wants."
I swallowed. "The demon."
He nodded, blue eyes on mine.
"I don't suppose—"
"I'm fresh out of vorpal swords," my father said. He reached into the pack and tossed me a miniature candy bar. "The closest I can get is a Snickers snack."
"You call that a funny line?" I asked.
"Look who's talking."
"So," I said. "Why haven't I dreamed about you before?"
"Because I wasn't allowed to contact you before," my father said easily. "Not until others had crossed the line."
"Allowed?" I asked. "What others? What line?"

So, I make a circumstantial case in which Harry may have a link to a Corwin/Merlin as father, or most likely descendant, template from Amber.

**Moving part of this to another thread**
« Last Edit: April 21, 2018, 01:52:46 AM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2018, 02:41:51 PM »
Amber Alert:

I could hear the Star Trek alert noises immediately upon reading that. Well done.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2018, 06:45:19 PM »
I could hear the Star Trek alert noises immediately upon reading that. Well done.
All I could think of was a kidnapping...

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2018, 09:37:04 PM »
Slightly different topic, but the concept of Harry facing his alter ego in a mirror brought it to my mind. Can Harry soul-gaze his alter ego? They are different individuals who have gone down different paths. It would be interesting to get a peak at Harry's soul gaze (even if all we are seeing is the doppleganger from prime Harry's perspective).

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2018, 01:07:53 PM »
Slightly different topic, but the concept of Harry facing his alter ego in a mirror brought it to my mind. Can Harry soul-gaze his alter ego? They are different individuals who have gone down different paths. It would be interesting to get a peak at Harry's soul gaze (even if all we are seeing is the doppleganger from prime Harry's perspective).

Interesting. Harry frequently wonders what others see when he soulgazes them, and we've seen enough people basically crap their pants that it's gotta be pretty good. Mirror, Mirror is a good place to give us the next closest substitute.