Author Topic: Why Death Masks?  (Read 1799 times)

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Why Death Masks?
« on: April 17, 2018, 06:09:02 PM »
This could easily be my general density speaking, but I don't understand the reasoning behind that choice of name for book 5. There were no masks in play in the book. There was death, sure, but that's hardly a distinguishing feature in this series. Quintus Cassius had a "mask" in the sense of being disguised, but that's only one mask, not multiple.

The closest thing I can come up with is that the Denarians themselves are metaphorical death masks for the people they used to be. It still feels wrong, though. What am I missing? Is there a blatantly obvious pun or connection here I'm just not getting?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
Re: Why Death Masks?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2018, 06:12:34 PM »
A death mask, traditionally, is a depiction of the deceased's face that's often made from a cast of the corpse itself.

The Shroud of Turin is traditionally believed to have a depiction of Christ's face on it, and is believed to have been "imprinted" with his face as he wore it in the tomb.

So in a way, the Shroud itself is Christ's "death mask."
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Why Death Masks?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2018, 06:31:07 PM »
A death mask, traditionally, is a depiction of the deceased's face that's often made from a cast of the corpse itself.

The Shroud of Turin is traditionally believed to have a depiction of Christ's face on it, and is believed to have been "imprinted" with his face as he wore it in the tomb.

So in a way, the Shroud itself is Christ's "death mask."

I did not know about the face imprint on the Shroud. That makes more sense. Thanks!