Author Topic: Arthurian Myths in Dresden Files  (Read 5964 times)

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: Arthurian Myths in Dresden Files
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2018, 02:19:59 PM »
Yup.  Kusanagi, which per the ghosts in GS is another name for Fidelacchius, is a myth that long predates the Crucifixion. I personally think that the only thing special about Ammorachius in terms of a reforging that Merlin did something to make it a far more durable container for the Sword-mantle than it had previously been able to find/manifest.
... Random thought, but I've ran down the are angels equivalent to outsiders path as well as noting the swords are vulnerable on the island and had the errant thought that the 'forging of Excalibur' in this instance could have been the release of a deity/angelic source from the island that shouldn't have been trapped there or was otherwise changed by a new host/release of Grace from host...
Huh, the British guy is the source of love lol? No, I doubt it but still, The angel/outsider connection when considering the forging came up with that^^ Also... it was the Sword of love wielder that was harmed there, someone trying to call out and wrest power from where it's been placed caused a hiccup in said power? O.o
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2018, 03:18:23 PM »
... Random thought, but I've ran down the are angels equivalent to outsiders path as well as noting the swords are vulnerable on the island and had the errant thought that the 'forging of Excalibur' in this instance could have been the release of a deity/angelic source from the island that shouldn't have been trapped there or was otherwise changed by a new host/release of Grace from host...
Huh, the British guy is the source of love lol? No, I doubt it but still, The angel/outsider connection when considering the forging came up with that^^ Also... it was the Sword of love wielder that was harmed there, someone trying to call out and wrest power from where it's been placed caused a hiccup in said power? O.o
Id always put down that statement that Amoracchius was vulnerable on Demonreach during CD, from Murphy, as either a)An extension of how the Swords seem to be very Subjective regarding when, where, and against whom they may be used, or b) Murphy was simply incorrect in her impression, or at least in her interpretation of whatever feeling/guidance that she may have been getting in her self-appointed capacity of Sword-keeper.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 01:51:14 AM »
Id always put down that statement that Amoracchius was vulnerable on Demonreach during CD, from Murphy, as either a)An extension of how the Swords seem to be very Subjective regarding when, where, and against whom they may be used, or b) Murphy was simply incorrect in her impression, or at least in her interpretation of whatever feeling/guidance that she may have been getting in her self-appointed capacity of Sword-keeper.
Oh was that when that was? I always associated it with the Walker being the direct threat. Outsiders certainly threaten freedom's and Michael could engage with them(being a deciding factor in the victory) in PG to save the council members.... for almost the same reason if you can imagine that.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 05:11:02 PM »
Oh was that when that was? I always associated it with the Walker being the direct threat. Outsiders certainly threaten freedom's and Michael could engage with them(being a deciding factor in the victory) in PG to save the council members.... for almost the same reason if you can imagine that.
No, that makes sense. It was why it seemed odd to me that she didnt to use them, despite the enemies seemingly being correct. 

I do remember kicking around a theory that would have made her correct:  the idea was that the Swords (and even Coincs) are most fundamentally Artifacts of Free Will, and thus is simply too much the Polar Opposite of a metaphysical Prison, so they weaken each other on a very base level.   
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline exartiem

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2018, 03:50:51 PM »
I dont really think, or at least dont really want, Demonreach to be Avalon.  I dont mind the world being big enough for two magic Islands, and I kinda think it cheapens Avalon to say Merlin Created it the way he did Demonreach.  Id rather it be out there (maybe a NN place, maybe a earth island) and serve another specific function the way the Well does. 

This makes me think that Demonreach might be a counterpart to Avalon.  Whereas DR has an evil leyline running from it, Avalon would have a good ley line.  Where DR is the prison of ancient evil creatures and gods, Avalon is the resting place for heroes and good deities.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2018, 04:23:21 PM »
This makes me think that Demonreach might be a counterpart to Avalon.  Whereas DR has an evil leyline running from it, Avalon would have a good ley line.  Where DR is the prison of ancient evil creatures and gods, Avalon is the resting place for heroes and good deities.
... Mayhaps Merlin intentionally created DR on Avalon to have something ambient to hold in the darkness?