Author Topic: Dresden Files - could it be adapted to a video game?  (Read 3508 times)

Offline Yuillegan

• White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Forum Moderator
    • View Profile
Dresden Files - could it be adapted to a video game?
« on: March 01, 2018, 07:18:19 AM »
So as a bit of a what if - could you do a sort of vaguely Witcher/Mass Effect/God of War type game. Heavy on story and action of course, throw in some Arkham style detective work and puzzle solving and keep the comedy coming and I think it could be a lot of fun. The hardest thing to decide would be how much dialogue would be yours to choose I guess. I suppose you could do it like Mass Effect and have a sort of "canon" story and the rest are "what if" scenarios.

Anyway I am keen to here your thoughts, what could it look like, what would it need, what to avoid etc. Have at it!

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden Files - could it be adapted to a video game?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 09:45:44 AM »
So as a bit of a what if - could you do a sort of vaguely Witcher/Mass Effect/God of War type game. Heavy on story and action of course, throw in some Arkham style detective work and puzzle solving and keep the comedy coming and I think it could be a lot of fun. The hardest thing to decide would be how much dialogue would be yours to choose I guess. I suppose you could do it like Mass Effect and have a sort of "canon" story and the rest are "what if" scenarios.

Anyway I am keen to here your thoughts, what could it look like, what would it need, what to avoid etc. Have at it!
thats a good idea but how you make the game is kinda problem as we have meet the team Sherlock deduction moments as well as balls to the walls saints row style action in same bucket. So we kinda need adamantium solid plot as the moment we gave player ability to craft his first spell they gonna build spells or mods to make sure their crazy theory is legit game material and create forum fires to prove its word of jim that susan is time traveled kuromori and she is actualy murpy's secret lover kinda whack job situations.

So the things to make sure game works perfectly
vampire masqurade style game plan were player is member of paranet papers who learns his powers from one of the faction leaders.
flexible but strict magic rules so no time travel powers or mind control unless you are specific faction or NPC( moly for mind control and big bad for time magic stuff as only users)
good character creation system to create any character except dresden and company( this one needed to be hard code blocked so no mods to change then make time walking adventures of dresden mod or expension pack)
lot of area to play but solid reason to keep retuning dresdens gang for either info or plot advancement.
lot of deadpool quality snark
harry vision were player sees important clues and selective npc with special mental comments like seeing lara raith in bikini triggers special snark on harrys mind.)

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 03:14:58 PM »
Idea being generated...

"The city of Volgograd has seen better days. Formerly known as Stalingrad, the ghosts of more than a million slain Wehrmacht and Red Army are always stirring up trouble. In the colder months, the nights are marked by violent squabbles over dominion between two Winter Nobles: the self-styled Dowager Countess Helena and Thunder Lord Perunovitch. The city stands on a particularly nasty portion of the Nevernever. Frequently will the denizens of the other side - dreaded wolf-mammoths, the Cult of the Beetle, and a particularly obnoxious Djinn - find themselves in Volgograd with nothing better to do than cause mischief. Against this tide of mayhem stand only the Rabbi Igor with his baker's dozen of golems and the wizard Janos Ader with his apprentice.

After investigating a particularly bizarre case of black magic involving a platoon of Red Army ghosts, a genius loci, and lots of cheese, Wizard Ader vanishes, without a trace. The role of magical protector now falls to the apprentice, who must solve the mystery of the Red Army platoon and find his/her master, all while avoiding the toes of the Dowager Countess and the Thunder Lord. And it must be done quickly, for unknown to the apprentice and his/her allies, Volgograd has a target on its back..."

RPG combining the character creation of Baldur's Gate with the interactive feel of Mass Effect. The player's customizable apprentice will meet allies, make enemies, brush against the limits of the Laws of Magic, and explore the Dresdenverse in ways hitherto only mentioned and imagined.

Potential Name: Red Haze, a Story of the Dresdenverse
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 03:17:00 PM by WereElephant »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 03:20:43 PM »
I've long toyed with the idea of making a Dresden mod for certain games, like Shadowrun, or even a full on RPGmaker game. It definitely can be done, but it would need several things to be, you know, good.

1. A combat system that reflects the Dresden Files' lean toward ingenuity. Fights with common mooks should be less difficult than with, say, Cowl, but should still be threatening; Harry has most often come close to death from simple means, and a gun works just as well as an storm-driven-exploding-heart-spell. Better, usually. I normally prefer some kind of turn-based combat, but I think a nuanced real-time system would work better for Dresden to represent the way Harry actually fights. Closer to the first Dragon Age's soft-pause system, but not quite the same, if anyone's familiar.

2. There's no doubt in my mind that the genre should be a noir-style investigative RPG. Borrow some of the elements from the last few Persona games concerning time management. There should be cases available on certain dates, and the time in between those cases can be useful or a waste as you see fit. You can spend time with your friends, or spend time pursuing side jobs to earn extra money (and yeah, I actually think that the first part of the game should be heavily concerned with Harry making rent). You can spend time brewing potions, enhancing gear or making new gear, et cetera—but the salient point is that time is limited, and a zero-sum situation.
A standard type of level advancement function would work pretty well. Harry learns how to better use fire magic (for use in the big missions), or better tracking spells (to save time with side missions, or increase the reward for their completion), or whatever. But Harry himself should never get larger amounts of health; he's as squishy as ever. He just gets better at using his shield (or makes a better shield), or enhances his duster, or something like that—ways to avoid damage, but a bullet is still a bullet.
Investigations for side missions shouldn't take much longer than a day or two of in-game time (which I say should be based on a scale of taking between 3 minutes and an hour, depending on if you just craft or rest, or you participate in some activity). I think the side missions should range in difficulty, and require actual thought rather than "go to point A and bring me XYZ." I think they should be closer to logic puzzles—someone asks you to find out who stole their wedding ring, for example. You have options on how to figure that out. You can try tracking spells, investigating with standard means (interrogating witnesses, canvassing, bribing a few street people in the area), et cetera. But you still have to correlate all of the data you gather to correctly identify the culprit.**(I have a built-in shortcut, but it's better related to a different point for later).
The Big Missions, which I'd take to involve the events of the books, should be several-in-game-day-long affairs, and involve a mix of problem-solving, combat, and teamwork with your allies. Knowledge of the book should help, but I think that it'd be better if the game still required you to play the events straight—you can know without a doubt that Victor Sells is the Shadowman, but you've gotta provide evidence, which means you still have to investigate.
If they paced it like Persona 5, there'd be about a month of downtime between getting Big Missions. It'd mess with the timeline of the books, but whatever, I'm okay with it.
Side note: you should be able to get side missions from the Wardens, or other factions you sign up with, which all incur some benefits at some kind of opportunity cost.

3. A Karma Meter would add a new vector to things. Harry is constantly being offered deals. A video game is a great way to provide Alternate Universe stories in which Harry can choose to accept them. The first time Mab offers him the Winter Knight job, you should be able to take it. It would shift your karma meter towards the darker side, but offer new, powerful abilities and resources. Ditto with signing up with the Wardens, which would shift it toward Neutral (cuz I don't consider them to be "Good"), or the Brotherhood of St. Giles, or Marcone's Legitimate Business Interests, or Lara's Totally Not a Sex Cult, I Pinky Swear.
Other things that affect the karma meter are solving side missions in ways that follow your code. Opposing actions (doing Dark Things when you're currently in the Light Things side) should only be able to shift you toward Neutral, not tip you over the scale—that should be reserved for the next paragraph. But doing things in accordance with your current standing should reinforce it—a Dark Harry who does Dark Things should get Darker. The idea is to provide a viable Neutral pathway; most games are Black and White, and your choices are either "set this orphanage on fire" or "donate your kidney to a stranger," so I think a way to play neutrally would be cool.
Black magic and making deals with Bad Dudes should tilt your meter towards the Dark end of the spectrum. **(relevant to previous point); you should be able to summon demons as an information source, for example. Summon up a demon, make a deal, and bam, your side mission is instantly solved, at the cost of shifting toward Dark. Save yourself some time for those who want to blitz through the game or who find the mission too difficult, but risk making enemies of the Wardens and the White Council. Shift yourself too far in either direction, and you lose certain allies; if you're, say, 75% dark, Michael won't help you anymore; if you're 75% light, Nicodemus is locked out permanently.
There should also be some benefit to playing in any particular way; the darker you are, the more you can abuse magic, because you don't really care much. So Necromancy can become an option, along with insta-kill magic, mind domination, et cetera. But the Lighter you are, the more you can hang out in public (cuz the Wardens will like you, and so will the police), and the more allies you can bring along, and the better you are at the softer magics (like item creation, access to Soulfire, et cetera). Neutral paths should provide a mix of benefits; you have access to most allies, and can invest your experience in either end of the spectrum, but you lose out on the benefits of going 100% in either of the other two sides.

4. I think that story missions should be locked out or altered based on the above karma (I'm only using that term because of previous gaming conventions) thing. If Harry is the Winter Knight, Small Favor becomes different. Ditto if he's in bed (metaphorically) with Lara's faction during Turn Coat. If Harry picks up a Coin during a Death Masks mission, and joins up with Nicodemus, then he can be on the other side of events of Small Favor. If he's way into black magic, then Dead Beat might be about the Wardens looking for him.

5. The different factions should provide extensive differences in the game's experience. One of my favorite games in the last decade was Kingdoms of Amalur, that boondoggle that will never get a sequel thanks to the state of Rhode Island and Curt Schilling (seriously look into how stupid the whole thing was if you want, it's a real roller coaster). There were a ton of factions in that game, and each had their own questlines. I think something like that would be cool, but in a different way. You can only participate with factions that work with your current alignment, first of all. So groups like the Wardens, the Brotherhood of St. Giles, the Knights of the Cross, and the White Council might provide you with optional side quests, like "Hey, I think there's a Red Court nest operating out of this club—check it out, and take them down if you can," with unique and interesting rewards. Those quests can affect your karma alongside your standing with the faction, and as you increase favorability with a faction, different benefits open up. New allies for certain missions can be unlocked, along with new experience progression paths—I bet the Brotherhood of St. Giles has a lot to say about mundane things, like gunplay and lockpicking, while the White Council could probably teach Dresden how to blow things up more efficiently, while the Denarians can teach Harry new elements to his battle-shifting capabilities and different applications of Hellfire.

6. The voice acting in this game, along with the animation quality, should be on par with Uncharted. I remember how blown away I was at the depth of expression from the cutscenes in the first Uncharted game, which I picked up the day I bought a PS3 back in...2008? 2009? Whatever. It was freaking superb, and it's only gotten better. Dresden deserves the Triple A treatment, dang it.

Obviously, if the game was this expansive, there's no way you could cover the whole series up to now in one shot. It'd have to be a series of installments, and I'd be just fine with that (so long as you could maintain progression between games, like Mass Effect). Honestly, I think a game like the above would be insanely difficult to make (which is why I haven't made it myself, plus, you know, I don't want to get sued), but would have so much mainstream appeal that it'd be hard for it to fail.

One of my biggest concerns is that we'd get a Dresden game, but it'd just be a ripoff of The Wolf Among Us. I don't want Quicktime events and dialog trees as my whole game, darn it. I don't want quicktime events at all, for that matter.

Anyway, this is how I'd do what I consider a good Dresden game. Alas, t'will likely never happen.

Offline YoungestGruff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2018, 12:47:58 AM »
Game Luddite chiming in: What about the more recent Fallout games as a model? Replace a lot of the weapons crafting with. . . magical weapons crafting. (Seconding time constraints. And putting forth Assassin's Creed style Eagle Vision Sight; just make it look a lot more trippy, and using it actually distorts the screen with flashbacks for a period of time after you bring it down.)

Though I'm always down for anything that uses the Arkham games as a model. That's what you wish a wizard felt like.

Offline khadgar4606

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2018, 04:28:16 PM »
Game Luddite chiming in: What about the more recent Fallout games as a model? Replace a lot of the weapons crafting with. . . magical weapons crafting. (Seconding time constraints. And putting forth Assassin's Creed style Eagle Vision Sight; just make it look a lot more trippy, and using it actually distorts the screen with flashbacks for a period of time after you bring it down.)

Though I'm always down for anything that uses the Arkham games as a model. That's what you wish a wizard felt like.
well fallout style is not works for good dresden game as lot of the current fallout and elder scrolls games bought to create mods were end game is using sluttiest armor you can find to beat big bad and i kinda dont want modding in the game because its fertile ground to make time travel mod and says legit content but kindlers idea is good as you need certain events to create the mind dominate spell you need to bang lara and it feels dangreous enough to play and have fun.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2018, 06:03:19 PM »

Sure, a Dresden game could adapt a similar combat system to the Arkham series—but only for certain characters. Michael could control like that, and Murphy could control like that (to an extent; she uses a lot of grappling and throws, and I'm not sure the Arkham-style works so well for that). I don't think Dresden should control so smoothly; he's not nearly so trained, and I doubt he'd be nearly as fluid, agile, or ripped (though he is pretty big and can presumably hit like a truck if he decides to). Maybe Winter Knight Harry could.

However, the way Arkham incorporates gadgets in combat, with quick inputs on virtually no delay—that might be valuable to borrow from. Popping off spells, raising shields, using his cool stuff—that can all work. I'm just not sure how I'd feel about Harry mowing down twenty mooks in a brawl, if that makes sense. (But I could buy Michael doing that. Hands off the Fist of God.)

I actually think handling it similar to the way the Infamous games operate would be worthwhile; Cole is pretty bad in melee, and usually relies on shooting lightning bolts (it's pretty good if you haven't played it), but when he closes, it's to finish someone off. You try to close against a group of three or four, even low-level mooks? You're toasted.

Actually, Infamous might work as a combat model in general. There's even a shield.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2018, 09:38:35 PM »
The Dresden Files could made into an awesome video game.  Any developer who wanted to dump a large sum of money into it could create a great game.

I think it would be cool if it's a prequel type game.  You are a Warden, and go out on missions for the White Council.  Your decisions would lead to you either becoming a White Council loyalist, and dark wizard, or somewhere down the middle. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2018, 11:19:35 PM »
The Dresden Files could made into an awesome video game.  Any developer who wanted to dump a large sum of money into it could create a great game.

I think it would be cool if it's a prequel type game.  You are a Warden, and go out on missions for the White Council.  Your decisions would lead to you either becoming a White Council loyalist, and dark wizard, or somewhere down the middle. 

Rather then a prequel, I'd say go with a side-story. One of the new Warden Recruits and their involvement in the Rampire war maybe, or a Small-Timer dealing with the Formor outbreak post-Changes.

Either way, set it away from Chicago. DF is a solid enough setting that you don't need to rely on the Main Characters to hold up the story, and it gives you more freedom to write a new story if you don't have to work around Harry & Co.

Offline airyie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2018, 11:31:32 PM »
I'm seriously surprised there is no fan-made/community game at this point. Someone has to have thought about this by now.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2018, 05:58:13 AM »
I'm seriously surprised there is no fan-made/community game at this point. Someone has to have thought about this by now.

Games are very time consuming, and difficult to make.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline YoungestGruff

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 11:11:18 PM »
Sure, a Dresden game could adapt a similar combat system to the Arkham series—but only for certain characters. Michael could control like that, and Murphy could control like that (to an extent; she uses a lot of grappling and throws, and I'm not sure the Arkham-style works so well for that). I don't think Dresden should control so smoothly; he's not nearly so trained, and I doubt he'd be nearly as fluid, agile, or ripped (though he is pretty big and can presumably hit like a truck if he decides to). Maybe Winter Knight Harry could.

However, the way Arkham incorporates gadgets in combat, with quick inputs on virtually no delay—that might be valuable to borrow from. Popping off spells, raising shields, using his cool stuff—that can all work. I'm just not sure how I'd feel about Harry mowing down twenty mooks in a brawl, if that makes sense. (But I could buy Michael doing that. Hands off the Fist of God.)

I actually think handling it similar to the way the Infamous games operate would be worthwhile; Cole is pretty bad in melee, and usually relies on shooting lightning bolts (it's pretty good if you haven't played it), but when he closes, it's to finish someone off. You try to close against a group of three or four, even low-level mooks? You're toasted.

Actually, Infamous might work as a combat model in general. There's even a shield.

Never played the Infamous games, so I can't speak to them exactly. But you are absolutely right; the flashy combat moves are suited for characters like Kincaid and Michael - Murph's would be fairly counter-based, being Aikido/Judo. So. Not really like the Arkham (or the Shadow of Mordor) games except! In the spectacle gadgets magic that you can bust out every now and again.

Hell, with upgrade trees, you could build a combat/evocation wizard or a stealth/veil wizard.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 11:13:17 PM by YoungestGruff »

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 03:48:44 PM »
Never played the Infamous games, so I can't speak to them exactly. But you are absolutely right; the flashy combat moves are suited for characters like Kincaid and Michael - Murph's would be fairly counter-based, being Aikido/Judo. So. Not really like the Arkham (or the Shadow of Mordor) games except! In the spectacle gadgets magic that you can bust out every now and again.

Hell, with upgrade trees, you could build a combat/evocation wizard or a stealth/veil wizard.

Oh yeah, skill trees would be awesome. I like the way Kingdom of Amalur does it best; you get three points per level, three separate trees, and can allocate points as you wish. Different combinations grant additional benefits; going purely in one branch will make you really good at that branch, but splitting across two or even three offers unique additional rewards. There's a separate skill tree for things like item crafting, but I think it could easily be added as a school of magic to make choices matter more. I've always thought that combat vs. crafting would be an interesting choice; it's how you got old D&D classes like artificers (though they didn't work so well).

But yeah, games are hard to make at all, and very hard and very expensive to make really well. I've done some RPG Maker games in the past (tiny, tiny ones), but I'd never dream of potentially sullying the Dresden Files's reputation with whatever I could manage. Plus I want the game to look good.