Author Topic: Would you like to see Highlander type immortals in the Dresdenverse?  (Read 7270 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Re: Would you like to see Highlander type immortals in the Dresdenverse?
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2018, 08:07:42 PM »
But where would they fit in the Dresdenverse?  You'd think that such an organization would be discovered by the long-lived wizards and all-but-immortal monsters and gods. 

That's why I was thinking they could be tied to the Library.  Powerless magically, but powerful with knowledge.  They could know Names, and how to use them, which would keep certain Powerful creatures from interfering. 

But to run governments and control markets, they'd be butting up against the lesser groups (Wamps, Ramps, Council) pretty regularly.  And they would have had a vested interest in supporting the wizards in the war.  If they existed in the Dresdenverse, they'd need a reason to not be involved.

Lack of numbers would be one reason.  If it's only one, or a handful, then they'd be limited.  Maybe they don't work together.  Maybe they strike deals with groups, to stay out of their business in return for being left alone.

I could see where the Council would fear a wizard getting an immortality elixir, because then there'd be nothing to stop them.  So the Senior Council strikes a deal with an immortal, to keep their tricks to themselves in return for favors and secret partnerships when necessary.

All great points.  I started the topic for everyone to share their ideas on it...  I love any little detail to the dresdenverse that adds a fun little twist.  Do I think they exist as stated?  Well as you have pointed out they haven't been in the series so far so probably not.  However I would be delighted if Jim introduces new dimensions to the series.

I think it would be amazing for Jim to release a kind of Dresden universe bible for the fans to write spin off stories based on the Dresden universe where they have concrete rules, and things that align with that universe.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2018, 08:17:02 PM »
I think it would be amazing for Jim to release a kind of Dresden universe bible for the fans to write spin off stories based on the Dresden universe where they have concrete rules, and things that align with that universe.
Well, there are the RPG source books...
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2018, 08:24:05 PM »
My group would likely be the ones with godhood and mantles.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 08, 2018, 09:43:49 PM »
Yeah, that's the thing -- the group as groinkick is describing is already overlapping with a bunch of other groups. We've already got guys like the Venatori and the Special Collections division that fill the niche of "secretive mortals up against supernatural threats," so I don't see why a group of immortals doing that same thing would be particularly interesting.
Well, I think there's room for a few.  Just not as a whole organization independent of what we've seen. 

Do we know for sure that Marcone is the first/only human to ever join the Accords individually?

All great points.  I started the topic for everyone to share their ideas on it...  I love any little detail to the dresdenverse that adds a fun little twist.  Do I think they exist as stated?  Well as you have pointed out they haven't been in the series so far so probably not.  However I would be delighted if Jim introduces new dimensions to the series.

Brainstorming is fun.  But like usual, I just want to over-analyze the potential points to see just how realistic it could be.

I like the idea of an immortal human being in charge of the Library.  Maybe Ziusudra, a Sumerian king from a flood epic circa 2900 BC.  I could see a wise king given immortality and a task of preserving things in an arc then finding a purpose in preserving knowledge.  He could live throughout the centuries, through the great civilizations.

He could have helped Merlin preserve the Library of Alexandria.  He could even have been the one to reach out to him for help.  He could have gone on to found the Library of Congress, and its Special Collections.

And obviously he would have helped found the seed vault in Norway, would have wielded one or more of the Swords along the way, and would know many of the Powers in the world, including his "competition" a.k.a. the Archive. 

He is... the most immortal man in the world.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2018, 11:54:43 PM »
Yeah, that's the thing -- the group as groinkick is describing is already overlapping with a bunch of other groups. We've already got guys like the Venatori and the Special Collections division that fill the niche of "secretive mortals up against supernatural threats," so I don't see why a group of immortals doing that same thing would be particularly interesting.
And we technically have the Denarians doing the regular peeps with semi-immortality acting as Frenemies trying to kill each other... So I think we have most of the bases covered without actual Highlander type immortals(Nic even needs his head cut off so as to remove his noose... or just squeeze it but you get my point)

*it's been a LOOONG time, can anyone remind me wtf there can be 'only one' and how bad they retconned on that with the series?
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »
And we technically have the Denarians doing the regular peeps with semi-immortality acting as Frenemies trying to kill each other... So I think we have most of the bases covered without actual Highlander type immortals(Nic even needs his head cut off so as to remove his noose... or just squeeze it but you get my point)

*it's been a LOOONG time, can anyone remind me wtf there can be 'only one' and how bad they retconned on that with the series?
I think it's changed several times.  There was the one movie where they were aliens, because they couldn't think of a way to have more if they all died in the first one, even though I think they specified that more keep popping up.

Then there were a few that had special powers.  Not all did, so who knows why and how they got them. 

Ultimately, the last one supposedly got incredible (undefined) power and knowledge to help (or rule over) humanity, with the bonus of having kids, growing old and dying if they wanted to.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #21 on: February 09, 2018, 02:14:51 AM »
I think it's changed several times.  There was the one movie where they were aliens, because they couldn't think of a way to have more if they all died in the first one, even though I think they specified that more keep popping up.

Then there were a few that had special powers.  Not all did, so who knows why and how they got them. 

Ultimately, the last one supposedly got incredible (undefined) power and knowledge to help (or rule over) humanity, with the bonus of having kids, growing old and dying if they wanted to.
The "more keep popping up" thing was introduced by the TV series, it wasn't present in the original movie.

Basically everything after the second movie ignores it, and most of the ending of the first movie and joins the TV series' status quo.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2018, 02:34:20 AM »
The "more keep popping up" thing was introduced by the TV series, it wasn't present in the original movie.

Basically everything after the second movie ignores it, and most of the ending of the first movie and joins the TV series' status quo.
But isn't the idea of more popping up how he popped up to begin with?  It's been ages since I saw the first movie, but I thought he turned well after the others.  Unless there was some mention of their numbers stopping.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 09, 2018, 02:39:56 AM »
As I recall, the explanation was that the Kurgan was just so powerful that when MacLeod chopped off his head, the surge of power was so much that he thought he had the Quickening, but nope, turns out there were still more Immortals out there.

And we just don't count the second movie at all because it's garbage.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2018, 03:20:15 AM »
But isn't the idea of more popping up how he popped up to begin with?  It's been ages since I saw the first movie, but I thought he turned well after the others.  Unless there was some mention of their numbers stopping.
There's never really any explanation in the first one, just that by the modern day, they're down to the last handful.

The third movie has a bunch of immortals that had been magically trapped getting freed, which somehow resumes The Gathering.

Then the series introduces the idea that more are born all the time, but that they only get immortality if they die a violent death.

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2018, 04:05:35 AM »
And we just don't count the second movie at all because it's garbage.
Seconded.

There's never really any explanation in the first one, just that by the modern day, they're down to the last handful.

The third movie has a bunch of immortals that had been magically trapped getting freed, which somehow resumes The Gathering.

Then the series introduces the idea that more are born all the time, but that they only get immortality if they die a violent death.
I vaguely remember the third one, and that it was better than the second because it wasn't the second.  It also had the magic casters, which was another oddity.

I recall only liking the first movie and the series.  I don't know that I liked the Duncan movies either.  I may have fallen asleep during The Source. 

But I did hear a rumor that they're rebooting Highlander and potentially bringing Connor back.  I guess we'll see, because it apparently sounded like a good idea every other time, too.  Saving grace is that it's the director of John Wick that's pushing for it, so it might work.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2018, 04:38:47 AM »
He is... the most immortal man in the world.

hahaha
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 09, 2018, 04:41:01 AM »
Seconded.
I vaguely remember the third one, and that it was better than the second because it wasn't the second.  It also had the magic casters, which was another oddity.

I recall only liking the first movie and the series.  I don't know that I liked the Duncan movies either.  I may have fallen asleep during The Source. 

But I did hear a rumor that they're rebooting Highlander and potentially bringing Connor back.  I guess we'll see, because it apparently sounded like a good idea every other time, too.  Saving grace is that it's the director of John Wick that's pushing for it, so it might work.

In my opinion the first movie was alright.  The Duncan movies were absolute garbage.  The TV show was awesome until they decided to go off the rails, and kill Richie and change the tone of the entire series.  I stopped watching it after that.

The original concept was cool... 

The 4 horsemen that started the legend per Highlander the series
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 04:49:27 AM by groinkick »

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2018, 03:04:28 PM »
Assuming you take the first movie as Cannon, then they are born, are killed and come back.  Assuming the killing doesn't occur by losing one's head. 

What I assumed, based on the second movie was, that they were all thrown from their own world and "deposited" into ours at different points in the timeline, through birth.

Now the second movie had some of the others just teleported here as they were, but that doesn't jive with Connor not remembering anything prior to his Scottish life.

I enjoyed the TV show, but didn't really follow it closely.

I'd welcome a reboot if they come up with, but not necessarily reveal in the first movie, the origins and reasons for the powers (the Quickening).
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2018, 05:20:59 PM »
Assuming you take the first movie as Cannon, then they are born, are killed and come back.  Assuming the killing doesn't occur by losing one's head. 

What I assumed, based on the second movie was, that they were all thrown from their own world and "deposited" into ours at different points in the timeline, through birth.

Now the second movie had some of the others just teleported here as they were, but that doesn't jive with Connor not remembering anything prior to his Scottish life.

I enjoyed the TV show, but didn't really follow it closely.

I'd welcome a reboot if they come up with, but not necessarily reveal in the first movie, the origins and reasons for the powers (the Quickening).
The director dude all but said they'd only be working from the first movie, and ignoring everything else.  Kind of like Jurassic World ignoring the other two and just continuing from the first.