Author Topic: Will Harry learn to switch masks? if so when?  (Read 1892 times)

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
Will Harry learn to switch masks? if so when?
« on: February 04, 2018, 06:16:38 AM »
I'm thinking that as powerful as the Winter Knight Mantle is, in some ways it may hinder Harry in specific situations.  For example Harry was a beast with fire magic, and fire is great for cleansing evil (said somewhere in one of the books).  Vadderung hinted to Harry that the Mantle's are like masks, and himself seems to be able to swap between them.  So I'm wondering if we will see Harry able to do so in a similar fashion. 

I could see Harry like Vadderung saying "Are you asking me as your Knight, or as Harry Dresden my Queen?"
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline thevickers

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Will Harry learn to switch masks? if so when?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 03:14:37 AM »
That is a nice angle. And it seems he might have already done that to a point without realizing it, just by being him. When he realized he still had free will over Mab, and told her he would carry out orders exactly. That was Harry talking, putting the Mantle mask aside. The same as his birthday party in winter, when he killed those Fae. It wasn't so much the WK, but Harry Dresden utilizing the power of the Mantle without putting on the mask. Also, I remember a tiny bit from Fix, books ago, when he warned Harry about the leaf, Titania had given him. That was Fix, putting aside the mask and forcing through the Mantle's gag to warn Harry, when the Summer Knight would never have. Harry of course has power over Lashiel in a way as well, knowing her more than anyone alive that is still free of the coins. Even if he doesn't realize he has that power.
Everything happens the way it is supposed to, and could not happen any other way.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:36 PM »
In my opinion, I think the mask remark was a hint that Harry can set aside the Winter Mantle permanently. I think it's his out.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 01:43:34 AM »
In my theory of Murphy/Mab, it would be a hint that Harry could free Murphy of the Mab mantle on Halloween. 
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 05:18:06 PM »
I think that now that Harry knows he can ... possibly ... remove it, I think he could.  He just needs to figure out how.  Further, I think he may let Molly know about it too.  Although Molly knows what she's doing is necessary, so she may not want to remove her Mantle. 

Well, at least not until the change-over at the Outer Gates.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2018, 10:43:56 PM »
What if the solution to the mantle problem allows Harry the choice of breaking his connections or Molly's but not both?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?