Author Topic: Kumori's Identity-Elaine and Harry's daughter-Faith Astor  (Read 8531 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Kumori's Identity-Elaine and Harry's daughter-Faith Astor
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Yeah. I don't think it is an impossibility either. It may/may not be Winter Law. It is however something 'wrong' to do when it comes to supernatural powers.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2018, 07:00:21 PM »
"Your offspring. Your firstborn. And in exchange I will give you the knowledge you seek."
"News flash, Goldilocks. I don't have any children."
Maeve laughed. "Naturally not. But the details could be arranged."

Does the "naturally not" instead of "no" add to some wiggle room.

I don't have any children.  Naturally...No.
The question then is can Maeve say "unnaturally not."

Naturally:
Naturally: You use naturally to indicate that you think something is very obvious and not at all surprising in the circumstances. 
Hah. Maeve just told him right then he was wrong. She agreed it was very obvious and not all all suprising, then negated everything when she added NOT to it.  Harry and we took it to mean she had agreed with Harry.  Her phrase however allows for another meaning which is what the fae do.  They lie to you by twisting the truth and words.

Anyways, for Faith to be Kumori, without anymore NN and time travel, she would be around 16ish at the time of Grave Peril, 20ish at the time of Dead Beat.  I'd argue however that it is clear Kumori has traveled the NN so her age can be skewed as a result.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:31:03 PM by raidem »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2018, 07:17:23 PM »
Naturally not is not the same as "not naturally."

In fact, your dictionary use there specifically does NOT say that she told him he was wrong.  She thinks it's obviously that he doesn't have any kids.

Theoretically, she could simply be wrong.  Elaine is under Summer's protection, not Winters, so she might just not know.

But then we're back to the laundry list of unlikely issues that all need to have happened for Harry to have a yet another extra unknown kid. 

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2018, 07:26:02 PM »
Yeah, I'm sorry, but no.  Naturally is modifying Not, rather than Not modifying Naturally.  Arguing otherwise is getting into some Humpty Dumpty "When I use a word, it means what I choose it to mean, nothing more, nothing less" stuff.

You want to argue that she is wrong, sure.  But to argue that "Naturally not" REALLY means "Yes."  No.  Absolutely not.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2018, 07:28:42 PM »
Fine, I'll drop that argument and simply fall back to she can lie.

She is aware of an existing offspring of Harry's and she wants Harry to make a deal concerning (him,her).  We know that in the very same book where Maeve is talking about Harry's offspring, Harry's lover (Elaine) years ago comes back on seen and is in a big plot to unbalance Winter and SUmmer. Elaine is debted to Summer.  It makes sense that Maeve would want to gain influence over Elaine.  She even tries to immediately after this conversation when the WK comes back with Elaine's blood on a dagger.  It was burnt with fire however.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:33:58 PM by raidem »

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2018, 07:33:43 PM »
So I should just go and then add to the list of assumptions we need to make for Faith to be Harry's kid that Maeve can already lie as of SK, AND knows about Elaine's kid, AND Summer doesn't already have a claim on said kid, AND that she wants the kid who is already grown up quite a bit, rather than wants to make her own kid like literally everything about that exchange suggests.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2018, 07:34:59 PM »
I didn't say that:
rather than wants to make her own kid like literally everything about that exchange suggests.

It would be a complimentary action. *(Maeve wants control of Harry's firstborn) and Harry's kid via Jenny.  We simply don't know, yay or nay, if a child with Jenny Greenteeth would be the "firstborn."
The possibility exists that Elaine was pregnant via Harry and Elaine having sexual relationship prior to their departure.

I'd also point to Maeve's laugh
Maeve laughed. "Naturally not. But the details could be arranged."
I'm kinda suspicious when Maeve agrees and laughs.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:39:15 PM by raidem »

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2018, 07:41:00 PM »
Will we ever see Faith from the Restoration of Faith short story in a mainstream Dresden Files book?
Yes, we will, but not until the big ending. Faith was the first character and more or less the first client of Dresden’s that I ever wrote in that first little short story. So she will show up again to kick off the big apocalyptic trilogy at the end.

Faith Astor is a very important character if her appearance and interaction with Harry is going to jumpstart the BAT.

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2018, 07:44:06 PM »
There are lots of very important characters who aren't Harry's kid.  In fact, the vast majority of very important characters aren't Harry's kid.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2018, 07:46:48 PM »
True.

I include this just so that I can include my previous thoughts on the matter that got shredded by the year end monster.
Another tack that I had taken previously was to think that Bonnie and Faith was somehow merged into a Archive that was sent back in time to begin the Archive line.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2018, 07:47:13 PM »
If Kumori is a daughter of Dresden I'd think it was Maggie from the future.  Cowl would be manipulating her into thinking they were going to save Harry from either A. Dying, or B. going bat shit crazy evil. 
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2018, 07:49:00 PM »
My other theory for Kumori was Maggie Sr.  I believe after I posed the Kumori=MaggieSr. theory others jumped instead on the Maggie Jr. theory.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 07:54:29 PM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2018, 07:54:54 PM »
My other theory for Kumori was Maggie Sr, prior to Changes.  That is when people came out with the Maggie Jr. ones.

If Maggie Sr is Kumori I see her brought back via necromancy, and although she is "alive" she is bound to the one who brought her back, and under their (Cowl) control.  Either that or she lost her memories while retaining the overall personality of Maggie sr.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2018, 07:56:14 PM »
My take was that she was a Time Traveling Maggie Sr.

Hmm, now that I think about it and what Lea may have done with her, I'm wondering about your angle instead, but with Lea perhaps holding some of the strings and Cowl not knowing about it.

We have WOJ about what Harry would do to Lea if he ever found out what she did to Maggie Sr.  It partly played in with Maggie Sr. not adequately phrasing the deal as she was in a hurry.  So I think there were two issues with the deal Maggie Sr made, one was for herself, the other was about Harry.

Oh, no.  What about a skinwalker like Goodman Grey taking her place, or going so far as essentially becoming Maggie Sr.  That would mean though Kumori isn't really Maggie Sr but a doppleganger derived from Maggie Sr in part.

We know that Hell believes Maggie Sr escaped the "Dark Prince's" grasp, so Maggie Sr died and her soul passed on.  Lea could have taken her ghost, fed it with Maggie Sr's blood, then animated it to take Kumori's spot.  (Uhh.. now we have an undead Kumori with wizard powers)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 08:05:46 PM by raidem »

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2018, 08:05:30 PM »
We know that Hell believes Maggie Sr escaped the "Dark Prince's" grasp, so Maggie Sr died and her soul passed on.  Lea could have taken her ghost, fed it with Maggie Sr's blood, then animated it to take Kumori's spot.

What's that about???