Author Topic: What do you wish would be done MORE in urban fantasy?  (Read 36025 times)

Offline Lisa™

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: What do you wish would be done MORE in urban fantasy?
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2007, 11:38:57 PM »
Like Charlie Stross has in The Atrocity Archive and The Jennifer Morgue ?

*Curiosity peaks*  Are these any good?  The only Cthulhu Mythos stuff I've read is Brian Lumley's.  (Yes, I'd recommend it.)
Quote from: CrazyGerbilLady
Full Assed FTW!

Quote from: Snowleopard
I have a friend who'd say: "That sounds vaguely obscene and if there's anything I can't stand it's vagueness!"

Offline RMatthewWare

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • The wonderful world of bloggery
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2007, 02:26:59 AM »
Imagine if Jim had stopped Dresden Files after a trilogy.  Imagine all the good stories we'd be missing!

Aside from that, what I would like to see (or even write myself) is fantasy given the Unbreakable treatment.  Or in other words, yes, there are supernatural creatures, but they're not really out there.  They're in the same world as and are trying to evolve to a newer world.  I think Jim's done a good job of that, but I'd like more.

I'd like to see new (or even old) takes on classics like vampires and werewolves.  I'd also like to see some of the lesser-known creatures given a bigger role.

I'd like to see less sex for the sake of sex.  I know people do it, I don't need to see it.

And I'd also like to see some darker stuff.  Real life gets dark.  Stories should follow suit.
Harry Potter, Harry Dresden, Dresden Dolls?

Offline Qualapec

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2007, 09:20:52 AM »
I would think a story told from the perspective of an evil monster. Not one that is good in anyway and not apologetic for being bad. And not a bloody vampire. The mummy book by Anne Rice started to look that way, then they stopped.

A troll in Today's New York city that really does eat children who pass over a bridge. That would be kind of interesting.

Failing that, a story that focused on a more nuanced view of good and evil...

You may be interested in Nightlife by Rob Thurman. It fits all those qualities...kind of.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2007, 02:46:49 PM »
A troll in Today's New York city that really does eat children who pass over a bridge. That would be kind of interesting.

That troll would last about ten minutes before getting his ass kicked by pigeons.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2007, 04:54:51 PM »
*Curiosity peaks*  Are these any good?  The only Cthulhu Mythos stuff I've read is Brian Lumley's.  (Yes, I'd recommend it.)

I like them a lot.  The Atrocity Archives, which is the novel The Atrocity Archive plus the novella "Concrete Jungle", is readily available in paperback, and Jennifer Morgue is currently in hardback.  They are about the division of the British intelligence services devoted to containing Lovecraftian threats, who these days mostly tend to pick up and recruit hacker-types who are innocently fiddling around with obscure bits of mathematics.  The office politics is really something; it's like Dilbert with necromancy. Specifically, Atrocity Archive is pastiching Len Deighton, and Jennifer Morgue parodying Ian Fleming, though the central character is more of a Neal Stephenson type.  There is at least another one coming.

Disclaimer: I have beta-read for Charlie, though only one not-yet-published novella in this series.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline ballplayer72

• Posty McPostington
  • sweet i love being a pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2007, 02:17:42 AM »
You may be interested in Nightlife by Rob Thurman. It fits all those qualities...kind of.

I second that nightlife is good.  It is in fact great, and i highly recommend it.
Only a dumb SOB brings a knife to a gunfight

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2007, 02:49:36 AM »
So we have series and trilogies and stand alones.  What do you call a duo of books?  I've a set in the hopper.  the first book is 1st person, but the 2nd is more complex, which is why I haven't combined them.  The second will either be from two other points of view or I'll have to figure out one heck of a way to get two crucial major scenes already written and at least one more to go into that 2nd voice. And worse yet, the first ends in a Burroughs style.  Sometimes stories take their own route.  the first book is 90,000....the second is half done, sitting abot 45,000.  I'm forcing myself to leave the 2nd alone until I've perfected (as well as I can)...

I might be able to swing the two other voices into one with a unique writing gimmack, but no way can I get these two other POVs into the orginal voice for covering both books as a stand alone.

The thing is, I have no interest in writing any more after these two.  Others are possible, but not by me.  i'll be ready to move on.  I wrote them in scifi so i could engage readers into action on Darfur. 

Any suggestions, greatly appeciated!   

"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline redneckwitch18

• Conversationalist
  • Och Aye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2007, 10:50:46 PM »
I like stuff that is more like Anne Rice's old works yet in a modern sense. Hence, I am addicted to David Wellington's online published books.

http://www.brokentype.com/ Thirteen Bullets, Monster Island, etc.
Brilliance is fleeting, but stupid lasts a while.

http://mepreport.com/quiz/ttp.htm  
I'm a tartan podcast. lol

Read new posts when I remember!
http://novelist10.wordpress.com/

Offline Kali

• Posty McPostington
  • Redhead
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2007, 05:45:29 AM »
So we have series and trilogies and stand alones.  What do you call a duo of books?

A duology, I believe.  At least, that's what Mercedes Lackey used to call her Tarma & Kethry books.  Y'know, before she finally published a third a decade-plus after the first two.

The thing is, I have no interest in writing any more after these two.  Others are possible, but not by me.  i'll be ready to move on.  I wrote them in scifi so i could engage readers into action on Darfur. 

I don't think you need to write more.  Let the publisher tell you that.  Also, and this is just me, I wouldn't mention ANYWHERE that your book is in any way connected to Darfur. Not that people don't need to know more about the genocide and the god-awful conditions, but if you have to mention it in a cover letter, it looks pretentious and preachy.  Let the editor/agent/publisher discover the connection for themselves, let them ask you about it.  Done properly, I always think such things should be as subversive as possible, teaching without anyone ever realizing they're being taught.
We don't get just one life.  We get as many as we can cram into one lifetime.

Visit my page! JessaLynch.com

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 26, 2007, 05:30:02 PM »
Thanks Kali!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

JamiSings

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2007, 05:53:33 PM »
More realistic humans. I'm tired of the perfectly in fit human woman or man being the hero. Make them short. Make them fat. Make them have a limb missing. Heck, just make them acne prone for all I care. Just make the humans seem more - human! Why should all heros and heroines be good looking? Why can't they look like some cross between The Phantom Of The Opera and The Elephant Man? Or at least be rather plain.

Fat women can kick vampire butt too, you know.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2007, 02:27:46 PM »
More realistic humans. I'm tired of the perfectly in fit human woman or man being the hero. Make them short. Make them fat. Make them have a limb missing. Heck, just make them acne prone for all I care. Just make the humans seem more - human! Why should all heros and heroines be good looking? Why can't they look like some cross between The Phantom Of The Opera and The Elephant Man? Or at least be rather plain.

We need a Nero Wolfe and Archie Goodwin in one.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 02:47:48 PM »
I'd like to see the New England vampire legends explored a bit more - to my knowledge, only one YA author has tackled this subject, and not in a fantasy/supernatural context.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline ailishsmom

• Conversationalist
  • Ridiculum sum, ergo sum
    • View Profile
    • My Life in Pictures
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 03:00:38 PM »

I think that's what I loved about Shaun of the Dead. If some supernatural apocalypse did happen, the average population wouldn't form well-oiled platoons to take them out. The survival of the world really would depend on a couple of slacker, beer drinking buddies that thought it was all a joke initially.
Are there any books along those lines?
~Theresa~
"Normal people are so hostile" - Dexter

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2007, 05:07:41 PM »
I think that's what I loved about Shaun of the Dead. If some supernatural apocalypse did happen, the average population wouldn't form well-oiled platoons to take them out. The survival of the world really would depend on a couple of slacker, beer drinking buddies that thought it was all a joke initially.
Are there any books along those lines?

Yep.  Terry Pratchett has written most of them.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com