Author Topic: Dwarfs  (Read 2915 times)

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dwarfs
« on: January 17, 2018, 10:22:34 PM »
DWARFS

Originally from the Old World, the dwarfs have migrated across the world as their mines have played out. The bulk of Australian dwarfs came via the Californian goldfields in the 19thC, so usually have relatives in the USA; their long lives and ability to travel via the Never Never mean that they are frequently still in contact.

Dwarfs cannot use Fae Circles without help; instead they can enter the Never Never via mines, elf hills, dolmens etc. While that initially means facing a wall of rock, the dwarfs have honeycombed the Never Never with tunnels connecting their mines, feasting halls and so forth. In addition to be rigged to collapse or flood, the Dwarfs normally connect their tunnels via coal mines, so that in the event of a major invasion, they can torch the tunnel – uncontrollable coal fires are normally the result of the Dwarfs defending their realms from beings untroubled by water or rock.

The centre of Dwarfdom is currently the vast halls under Lightning Ridge: visitors to the halls often assume that the glittering walls of opal must be in the Never Never given their beauty! Lesser halls have walls embedded with silver or gold, where the dwarfs have mined beside the seam rather than down it.

While Dwarfs only heal when drunk (below) they are well aware of the dangers of their crafts, so will typically wait until after work to liquor up. Exceptions exist, of course.

While Dwarfs are sexually capable, the Fae requirement to exchange gifts of equal value expresses in a strange way with them: the pair can only have a child if the Dwarf has given their partner a gift of gold. The child will be dwarf-kin (below); referring to the child as a 'Changeling' will at best get you punched in the face, with a lecture about the use of a term that implies that they steal babies and replace them like cuckoos.

As miners and craftsmen of Summer, Dwarfs have a quite firm position on global warming: they're in favour of it. Telling them that their work is increasing global temperatures cause them to swell with pride. They are equally displeased with demands that they stop, and with claims that their work is not affecting climate.

Musts:

A Dwarf must take the following:
Fae Smith [-2] The Dwarf gains +2 on a Craft speciality of his choice; whenever Craftmanship can modify a skill, always gains +1; and gain make Dwarf specific equipment. (Non-dwarfs with this Power can make their own racial gear, obviously). For every Fate Point spent crafting a weapon, a Catch can be added to it; Inherited Silver, Iron, Salt are all common Catches to incorporated into these weapons.
Inhuman Recovery[-2], the catch is sobriety[+1]. Note that the Recovery power can remove intoxication, making minor healing abilities very useful against dwarfs in a fight.
Inhuman Toughness[-2], the catch is trappings of Winter[+1]. Dwarfs can work Cold Iron, but avoid taking it into the Never Never.

Items of Power:

DWARVEN ARMOUR [-2]
Description: Armor tailored to the wearer.
Musts: Either Dwarf; or resources higher than the Refresh cost and a dwarven contact.

Effects:

[-0] It Is What It Is. Either a helmet (Armour:1) and/or Breastplate(Armour:2) or full Armour (Armour:3). Modern suits normally appear as bike leathers and helmet, as one of the few ways you can conveniently wear a helmet day to day...and they are ideal in a traffic accident anyway.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose. The Dwarfs have exploited this to the maximum to increase the defensive value of the Armour.
[+2] One-Time Discount. Immediately obvious that you are wearing it, and that the defence is superrnatural will be obvious in a fire fight.
[-4] Supernatural Toughness. Four additional boxes of physical stress; these clear away normally after combat (the armour isn't being damaged, you are just taking some bruising from the impacts). This stacks with any other Toughness abilities you may have.
 An additional Armor:1.
[-0] The Catch Any aspect combat related Aspect can be called to aim a called shot for weak points (say, aiming for joints with a weapon or breaking a limb with Fists). If an Aspect is called for this purpose it cannot also be called to improve the attack.

DWARVEN WEAPONS [-2 or -3]

Description: Combat capable tool
Musts: Either Dwarf; or resources higher than the Refresh cost and a dwarven contact.

Effects:

[-0] It Is What It Is. A tool that can double as a weapon; the traditional axes, picks and mattocks have been joined by wrenches, scalpels and machetes over the years. They are typically alloys of metalliic salts with Iron and Salt, and often have been blessed.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+1 or +2] One-Time Discount. Only a Weapon:1 can be easily hidden.
[-0] Surprisingly Heavy. You need a Might equal or higher than the level of the Weapon to use the Item, and your Might Modifies your weapon skill.
[-0] Tool. The Item is a tool, and your Craftmanship skill complements your Weapon skill when wielding it. Under certain circumstances, your Weapons skill might complement your Craftsmanship skill as well.
[-4] Supernatural Strength. However, this does not apply to lifting, nor to the Surprisingly Heavy Effect. Basically, once the weapon gets moving, not much can stop it.

Dwarf Kin

Typical Changelings, with two differences:
- a large number of Dwarf Kin aren't aware of their heritage, even if they have Dwarven abilities. Further, they bred true.
- Dwarf Kin can have a Feeding Dependency(Alcohol); if taken, this disappears when they make their choice. Sadly many Dwarf Kin live on the streets, their lives destroyed by this Stunt.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2018, 05:12:35 AM »
Cool stuff. I especially like this bit:

As miners and craftsmen of Summer, Dwarfs have a quite firm position on global warming: they're in favour of it. Telling them that their work is increasing global temperatures cause them to swell with pride. They are equally displeased with demands that they stop, and with claims that their work is not affecting climate.

I do have some nitpicks about the mechanical side, though.

Fae Smith [-2] The Dwarf gains +2 on a Craft speciality of his choice; whenever Craftmanship can modify a skill, always gains +1; and gain make Dwarf specific equipment. (Non-dwarfs with this Power can make their own racial gear, obviously). For every Fate Point spent crafting a weapon, a Catch can be added to it; Inherited Silver, Iron, Salt are all common Catches to incorporated into these weapons.

This seems reasonable enough, but what does it mean to add a Catch to a weapon? Does it mean that weapon satisfies that Catch permanently?

If so, there should probably be some limitation on it. Would be kinda lame if any random dwarf could make a knife that trumps Nicodemus's noose.

Inhuman Recovery[-2], the catch is sobriety[+1]. Note that the Recovery power can remove intoxication, making minor healing abilities very useful against dwarfs in a fight.
Inhuman Toughness[-2], the catch is trappings of Winter[+1]. Dwarfs can work Cold Iron, but avoid taking it into the Never Never.

Generally speaking, you're only allowed one Catch rebate. Granted, you're not doing anything unfair here, but...actually, I think it might be more thematic to make both Powers depend on drunkeness. As-is, sobering up a dwarf has a minimal effect on their fighting abilities. Recovery is mostly for between fights, you know?

[-4] Supernatural Toughness. Four additional boxes of physical stress; these clear away normally after combat (the armour isn't being damaged, you are just taking some bruising from the impacts). This stacks with any other Toughness abilities you may have.
 An additional Armor:1.

What's that bit at the end meant to mean? Is it just a reference to the fact that a full suit is armour 3, rather than armour 2 as is normal for the supernaturally tough?

[-0] The Catch Any aspect combat related Aspect can be called to aim a called shot for weak points (say, aiming for joints with a weapon or breaking a limb with Fists). If an Aspect is called for this purpose it cannot also be called to improve the attack.

This should definitely be more than a 0-point Catch.

Also, given the description, I'd expect a +3 (arguably +4) catch of "stuff armour obviously isn't useful against". Like poison, drowning, really hot weather, and thaumaturgy that detonates the heart inside your chest.

[-0] Surprisingly Heavy. You need a Might equal or higher than the level of the Weapon to use the Item, and your Might Modifies your weapon skill.

I don't think this is a good idea. No sense giving someone with Mythic Strength a random +3 to their attacks and defences. And as a restriction, it could be handled better as an Aspect.

[-0] Tool. The Item is a tool, and your Craftmanship skill complements your Weapon skill when wielding it. Under certain circumstances, your Weapons skill might complement your Craftsmanship skill as well.

I think this might also work better as an Aspect.

[-4] Supernatural Strength. However, this does not apply to lifting, nor to the Surprisingly Heavy Effect. Basically, once the weapon gets moving, not much can stop it.

Probably shouldn't be 4 Refresh if it's missing many of the normal effects of Supernatural Strength. Also, might be worth writing out specifically what it does apply to. For example, does it boost grappling?

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2018, 11:45:30 AM »
Thanks.

The catch

>Would be kinda lame if any random dwarf could make a knife that trumps Nicodemus's noose.
Given that the Swords can't take out the noose (they are the specific example given in his write-up) these weapons certainly can not.
What should it be able to do - well, there's clearly no problem in someone making a weapon out of cold iron. Murph casts silver bullets. Salt should tricky, until you consider metallic salts such as iron pyrites.
How about supernatural catches? Well, the dwarfs already meet the Catch for Grendelkin. Holy Weapons are easier enough for clergy.

How about "can incorporate any Catch they have access to into the Weapon"?

Toughness and Recovery
Generally speaking, you're only allowed one Catch rebate. Granted, you're not doing anything unfair here, but...actually, I think it might be more thematic to make both Powers depend on drunkeness. As-is, sobering up a dwarf has a minimal effect on their fighting abilities. Recovery is mostly for between fights, you know?

The "shrug it off" aspect specifically works in combat, a hostile spellcaster can actually use the Effect against the Dwarf. Losing the "Vigorous" Effect could also bite.

The reason for the different Catches was to emphasize the personality switch between cold and fierce in combat but lighthearted and disreputable out of it.

Armour
What's that bit at the end meant to mean? Is it just a reference to the fact that a full suit is armour 3, rather than armour 2 as is normal for the supernaturally tough?

The armour is both mundane armor - giving from 1 to 4 Armour dpending on coverage - and grants the Supernatural Toughness Power, which in turn grants the wearer an additional point of Armour.

Also, given the description, I'd expect a +3 (arguably +4) catch of "stuff armour obviously isn't useful against". Like poison, drowning, really hot weather, and thaumaturgy that detonates the heart inside your chest.

Hmm: yes. How about "anything that bypasses the physical Armour also by passes the Toughness"?

Probably shouldn't be 4 Refresh if it's missing many of the normal effects of Supernatural Strength. Also, might be worth writing out specifically what it does apply to. For example, does it boost grappling?

True.
Really it's just the damage bonus from 'Hammer Blows' plus the breaking inanimate objects from 'Improved Lifting'.
How much do you think that should be worth?

Thanks, very useful feedback.
A post of "I don't understand" will be ignored. The comment needs to say *what* bits you don't understand, and what bits you think you do, to be be worth responding to.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2018, 07:57:44 AM »
>Would be kinda lame if any random dwarf could make a knife that trumps Nicodemus's noose.
Given that the Swords can't take out the noose (they are the specific example given in his write-up) these weapons certainly can not.
What should it be able to do - well, there's clearly no problem in someone making a weapon out of cold iron. Murph casts silver bullets. Salt should tricky, until you consider metallic salts such as iron pyrites.
How about supernatural catches? Well, the dwarfs already meet the Catch for Grendelkin. Holy Weapons are easier enough for clergy.

How about "can incorporate any Catch they have access to into the Weapon"?

Sounds good to me.

As for Nicodemus, there's a bit of a fluff-crunch mismatch there. The swords shouldn't beat the noose, but by my reading of the RAW they do.

Toughness and Recovery

The "shrug it off" aspect specifically works in combat, a hostile spellcaster can actually use the Effect against the Dwarf. Losing the "Vigorous" Effect could also bite.

The reason for the different Catches was to emphasize the personality switch between cold and fierce in combat but lighthearted and disreputable out of it.

Fair enough.

And I know Inhuman Recovery does have some combat effects, but they're fairly minor.

Armour

The armour is both mundane armor - giving from 1 to 4 Armour dpending on coverage - and grants the Supernatural Toughness Power, which in turn grants the wearer an additional point of Armour.

I'm not sure that's a good idea. Normally Toughness doesn't stack with armour at all, and mundane armour usually caps out at 2 or 3. I've found that armour 3 is already a ton; I don't think letting this stuff be armour 5 is a good idea. Especially since, with Catch and IoP rebates, armour like this can already give Mythic Toughness for 1 Refresh.

Hmm: yes. How about "anything that bypasses the physical Armour also by passes the Toughness"?

Sounds good to me.

True.
Really it's just the damage bonus from 'Hammer Blows' plus the breaking inanimate objects from 'Improved Lifting'.
How much do you think that should be worth?

Probably 3 Refresh. Part of me wants to say 2, but I'd hesitate to allow +4 stress alone for 2 Refresh. So 3 seems right.

Thanks, very useful feedback.

You're very welcome!

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2018, 04:08:28 AM »
Armour
I'm not sure that's a good idea. Normally Toughness doesn't stack with armour at all, and mundane armour usually caps out at 2 or 3. I've found that armour 3 is already a ton; I don't think letting this stuff be armour 5 is a good idea. Especially since, with Catch and IoP rebates, armour like this can already give Mythic Toughness for 1 Refresh.
[checks rule books] Oh, thanks, hadn't noticed that they don't stack.

Hmm, the fluff explains that different sorts of armor can have different Catches, so mundane Armour plus Toughness can still make sense - but it makes no sense that the Armor can provide Toughness that defends against strikes that avoid the Armor.
Annoying.
Without the bonus, then the armor=military level armor: which is what it is, the Dwarfs are the Summer Court's Armorers.  Irritating that a suit of magical armor is no better than a completely mundane suit of armor that costs zero refresh. Still, the ability to wear the Armor in public more than compensates for that I suppose. Will have to just turf the extra Armor bonus.
Have modified the fluff appropriately, to emphasize the convenience.

Okay, Bunyips next (some specifically antipodean creatures!)

And need to explore the concept of 'google docs'.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2018, 04:18:56 AM by whitelaughter »

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2018, 04:17:11 AM »
DWARFS

Originally from the Old World, the dwarfs have migrated across the world as their mines have played out. The bulk of Australian dwarfs came via the Californian goldfields in the 19thC, so usually have relatives in the USA; their long lives and ability to travel via the Never Never mean that they are frequently still in contact.

Dwarfs cannot use Fae Circles without help; instead they can enter the Never Never via mines, elf hills, dolmens etc. While that initially means facing a wall of rock, the dwarfs have honeycombed the Never Never with tunnels connecting their mines, feasting halls and so forth. In addition to be rigged to collapse or flood, the Dwarfs normally connect their tunnels via coal mines, so that in the event of a major invasion, they can torch the tunnel – uncontrollable coal fires are normally the result of the Dwarfs defending their realms from beings untroubled by water or rock.

The centre of Dwarfdom is currently the vast halls under Lightning Ridge: visitors to the halls often assume that the glittering walls of opal must be in the Never Never given their beauty! Lesser halls have walls embedded with silver or gold, where the dwarfs have mined beside the seam rather than down it.

While Dwarfs only heal when drunk (below) they are well aware of the dangers of their crafts, so will typically wait until after work to liquor up. Exceptions exist, of course.

While Dwarfs are sexually capable, the Fae requirement to exchange gifts of equal value expresses in a strange way with them: the pair can only have a child if the Dwarf has given their partner a gift of gold. The child will be dwarf-kin (below); referring to the child as a 'Changeling' will at best get you punched in the face, with a lecture about the use of a term that implies that they steal babies and replace them like cuckoos.

Musts:

A Dwarf must take the following:
Fae Smith [-2] The Dwarf gains +2 on a Craft speciality of his choice; whenever Craftmanship can modify a skill, always gains +1; and gain make Dwarf specific equipment. (Non-dwarfs with this Power can make their own racial gear, obviously). For every Fate Point spent crafting a weapon, they can incorporate any Catch they have access to into the Weapon; Inherited Silver, Iron, Salt are all common Catches to incorporated into these weapons.

Items of Power:

DWARVEN ARMOUR [-2]
Description: Armor tailored to the wearer.

Effects:

[-0] It Is What It Is. Either a helmet (Armour:1) and/or Breastplate(Armour:2) or full Armour (Armour:3). Modern suits normally appear as bike leathers and helmet, as one of the few ways you can conveniently wear a helmet day to day...and they are ideal in a traffic accident anyway.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose. The Dwarfs have exploited this to the maximum to make the Armour light and flexible.
[+2] One-Time Discount. Immediately obvious that you are wearing it, and that the defence is superrnatural will be obvious in a fire fight.
[-4] Supernatural Toughness. Four additional boxes of physical stress; these clear away normally after combat (the armour isn't being damaged, you are just taking some bruising from the impacts).
[+3] The Catch anything that bypasses the physical Armour also by passes the Toughness

Description: Combat capable tool

Effects:

[-0] It Is What It Is. A tool that can double as a weapon; the traditional axes, picks and mattocks have been joined by wrenches, scalpels and machetes over the years. They are typically alloys of metallic salts with Iron and Salt, and often have been blessed.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+1 or +2] One-Time Discount. Only a Weapon:1 can be easily hidden.
[-3] Supernatural Might.  Gains the Effects 'Lethal Blows' (+4 Damage with the Weapon) plus half of 'Superior Lifting' (+6 to breaking inanimate objects, but not the bonus to lifting) from Supernatural Strength. Basically, once the weapon gets moving, not much can stop it.

Dwarf Kin

Typical Changelings, with two differences:
- a large number of Dwarf Kin aren't aware of their heritage, even if they have Dwarven abilities. Further, they bred true.
- Dwarf Kin can have a Feeding Dependency(Alcohol); if taken, this disappears when they make their choice. Sadly many Dwarf Kin live on the streets, their lives destroyed by this Stunt.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 05:05:41 AM by whitelaughter »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2018, 10:01:02 PM »
Irritating that a suit of magical armor is no better than a completely mundane suit of armor that costs zero refresh.

The stress boxes are a big deal. If you find that unsatisfying, maybe spend a point of Refresh on another point of armour. Stunt armour can stack, and is available at 1 Refresh point per armour point.

[-0] The Catch anything that bypasses the physical Armour also by passes the Toughness

Definitely not a +0 Catch. Arguably a +4 Catch.

[-3] Supernatural Might.  Gains the Effects 'Hammer Blows' (+2 Damage with the Weapon) plus 'Improved Lifting' (+3 to breaking inanimate objects) from Supernatural Strength. Basically, once the weapon gets moving, not much can stop it.

The cost of Supernatural Might should be bolded and the cost of the weapon overall should be adjusted now that you've reduced the cost of the Power it grants. Also, you seem to have listed the bonuses for Inhuman rather than Supernatural Strength on accident.

Offline whitelaughter

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 05:06:23 AM »
all modified. Would be good to see it used in play before making a decision on extra Armor, so I'll leave it as is for now.