Author Topic: The Scottish Play  (Read 3210 times)

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
The Scottish Play
« on: January 10, 2018, 01:03:55 PM »
There is a superstition about saying the name of the Shakespearian play "Macbeth" out loud in a theater. Specifically, that it will bring bad luck. It isapparently referred to as the Scottish Play or the Bard's Play in a theater, except during the play itself. Any certain Faerie Queens or vassals thereof have anything to do with this?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: The Scottish Play
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2018, 01:31:09 PM »
idk, but you know I really REALLY think Shakespeare ended up Eldest Gruff. If the Eldest Mantles are loosely based around the 9 muses I think EG is Tragedy... which obviously fits Billy Goat Shakespeare well, Harry's reference to that nickname in SK, His ability to sway Titania to see the rationale in Her daughters tragedy, the fact Shakespeare basically dropped his death curse upon his own grave to prevent grave robberies, ect.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline WereElephant

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2018, 01:47:05 PM »
That is spectacular. I accept.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 01:54:02 PM »
That is spectacular. I accept.
;D thank you

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 03:41:06 PM »
idk, but you know I really REALLY think Shakespeare ended up Eldest Gruff. If the Eldest Mantles are loosely based around the 9 muses I think EG is Tragedy... which obviously fits Billy Goat Shakespeare well, Harry's reference to that nickname in SK, His ability to sway Titania to see the rationale in Her daughters tragedy, the fact Shakespeare basically dropped his death curse upon his own grave to prevent grave robberies, ect.

I really like this theory. It is the first time I have heard it. What other eldest mantles have we been introduced to? I can think of Eldest Gruff, Cat Sith, and the Eldest Fetch. Any others I'm missing?

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 04:18:05 PM »
I really like this theory. It is the first time I have heard it. What other eldest mantles have we been introduced to? I can think of Eldest Gruff, Cat Sith, and the Eldest Fetch. Any others I'm missing?
Idk but i'd think perhaps Talos or Korrick... Talos the more likely, but idk they are for sure. think i'll start trying to figure out which ones Cat Sith and EF are by comparison.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 04:34:47 PM »
Idk but i'd think perhaps Talos or Korrick... Talos the more likely, but idk they are for sure. think i'll start trying to figure out which ones Cat Sith and EF are by comparison.
If it helps at all, to my eyes Sith had a controlled rage about him while Fetch seemed to be shrouded in malevolence.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2018, 07:08:38 PM »
There is a superstition about saying the name of the Shakespearian play "Macbeth" out loud in a theater. Specifically, that it will bring bad luck. It isapparently referred to as the Scottish Play or the Bard's Play in a theater, except during the play itself. Any certain Faerie Queens or vassals thereof have anything to do with this?

Sounds like the kind of thing Lea would do. Celtic lore on the Leanansidhe is that she inspires artistic creation at the cost of madness (and, you know, premature death), and somewhere Jim has stated that she drank the blood of artists (as far as I can remember). Makes me think maybe she had something to do with the 27 Curse among musicians, or what made Lord Byron the whacked-out nutjob he was (for instance, adopting a pet bear because it wasn't specifically banned by Cambridge University after they made him send his dog home, or the various exotic wild animals he gave free roam over his estate, or the "fleet" of toy ships he "commanded" in the open water of the large lake on his estate, or... well, he was just nuts).

The Scottish Play Curse has an origin of dubious provenance among the Three Witches scene, during which, it is said, actual magic was performed originally. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that Hecate is a character in the play, but most performances leave her character out. The triple-sided Goddess of the Crossroads is, according to Dresden's interpretation of the statuary in Hades's Vault, the current Faerie Queens; perhaps they laid a collective curse on the play for reasons of their own.

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 07:11:39 PM »
I agree that a curse on the Scottish Play seems very Fae like.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2018, 11:11:08 PM »
But, which Fae court did it?
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 05:33:45 PM »
But, which Fae court did it?

My bet is on Winter. They didn't like all the attention Titania and Summer got from A Midsummer Night's Dream, and Shakespeare accidentally summoned Hecate as he wrote Macbeth. Mab took the opportunity to show him who was boss. He promised to use Mab's name in another play to make up for the imbalance, and dropped a reference into Mercutio's speech in Romeo and Juliet.

Headcanon achieved.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 10:13:51 PM »
Sounds right to me.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Talby16

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »
I have no objections to that headcanon.