Author Topic: Spoilers: Star Wars: The Last Jedi  (Read 19831 times)

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Spoilers: Star Wars: The Last Jedi
« Reply #45 on: January 03, 2018, 07:21:34 PM »
Who cares of how Lucas had it 'originally.'  I mean how many different takes, screenplays, drafts do they consider before they finally decide on final product.  It's been 30+ years how Lucas finally decided to play it out in the original trilogy.

You can see however that Palpatine in the trilogy decided to play son against father and whoever won would be his apprentice.

The rule of 2 was also protection against the Sith history of internal fratricide on steroids.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 07:23:15 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 03, 2018, 08:22:38 PM »
Can anyone explain the Sith structure, one master, one apprentice that was mentioned in Episode I?

Can there really only be 2 Sith in the entire Galaxy?
The rule of two(which is a book of the same name iirc) was invented(iirc lol) by Darth Bane as a way to prevent the infighting and civil wars of the Sith order of earlier days. Supposed to be the apprentice surpasses and ergo kills the master and finds his own apprentice, or finds apprentice and teams up to kill master, ect.

Interesting, I feel like because of the way balance works and this new 'light rises to meet it' concept might have made the Sith stronger as they represented a larger portion of the balance. Which is a neat way to explain Palpatine's ridiculous overpowerment.
The rule of 2 was also protection against the Sith history of internal fratricide on steroids.
THAT lol, so that...
« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 08:26:07 PM by jonas »
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2018, 06:17:36 PM »
Okay, so we know that going dark can be a choice, just like living on the light side is a choice.

If  you go to the dark side, does that "automagically" make you want to kill other force users?

Isn't that kind of self-destructive for the Sith.  I mean, I know it doesn't have to make sense, but still ...
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2018, 06:46:36 PM »
If  you go to the dark side, does that "automagically" make you want to kill other force users?

No.  The act of going to the darkside requires really negative emotions.  So the type of person to cross over is most likely the type of person who is ambitious, violent, and paranoid.  Those are the characteristics that make them dangerous.  They aren't automatically murderers of other force users though.  For example Darth Plagus wanted an equal to rule the galaxy with.  Unfortunately for him Sidius didn't feel the same way.  Another Darth ended up being killed because he had feelings for the female he'd taken on as an apprentice, she wanted to rule though. 

Dark side users use all their emotions while light side typically do not.  Anakin went over to the dark side because of the love of a woman, and his willingness to do anything to save her, which is why Jedi aren't allowed to have to have romantic relationships. 

Once again, there were Sith in the past who wanted there to be a lot of other Sith.  It was Darth Bane who became Emperor who started the trend of only 2. 
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:48:51 PM by groinkick »
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 04, 2018, 07:08:23 PM »
No.  The act of going to the darkside requires really negative emotions.  So the type of person to cross over is most likely the type of person who is ambitious, violent, and paranoid.  Those are the characteristics that make them dangerous.  They aren't automatically murderers of other force users though.  For example Darth Plagus wanted an equal to rule the galaxy with.  Unfortunately for him Sidius didn't feel the same way.  Another Darth ended up being killed because he had feelings for the female he'd taken on as an apprentice, she wanted to rule though. 

Dark side users use all their emotions while light side typically do not.  Anakin went over to the dark side because of the love of a woman, and his willingness to do anything to save her, which is why Jedi aren't allowed to have to have romantic relationships. 

Once again, there were Sith in the past who wanted there to be a lot of other Sith.  It was Darth Bane who became Emperor who started the trend of only 2.

So the Sith could start up a temple and start recruiting force users and training them like the Jedi did, since the Sith Emperor is now long gone?
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2018, 08:11:03 PM »
So the Sith could start up a temple and start recruiting force users and training them like the Jedi did, since the Sith Emperor is now long gone?

Absolutely
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2018, 10:20:24 PM »
After Luke, the Jedi's and Sith defeat Abeloth, Luke comes to the conclusion that the galaxy needs both the Jedi and the Sith to maintain the balance in the force.  Abeloth existence was what had imbalanced it; her destruction, I'm assuming, is what the supposed Chosen One, Anakin, would directly/indirectly lead to. So, Anakin's family/descendants leading to the destruction of Abeloth may be the fulfillment of the prophecy.

Again, Abeloth played a large part in the force psychosis that would plague force users which often led them to go all homicidal all of a sudden.  Her manipulations of the force were largely confined until cracks in her prison began to appear, she then had more influence etc.  This was a cycle as other stronger force entities would reseal her prison.  These force entities (father, son, daughter) were immortals, celestials that are bound to the force. Apparently the chosen one, Anakin, could have power over them and with dagger of mortis could kill them or at least seem to.  Abeloth was an lady that came to the planet Mortis to learn from these celestial where she became the Servant who would later do that which was forbidden her, drink of two pools of knowledge.  The pools of knowledge were like the lightside and darkside wellsprings.  The daughter and son were each identified and associated with one, either light (daughter) or dark (son). Upon finding the Servant corrupted, the son and daughter then set out to imprison the servant. (father probably participated as well)

father, son, daughter are about 1 Million years old
servant is 100k years old
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:37:29 PM by raidem »
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline Foxed

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2018, 11:53:07 PM »
What.

What.

First of all, [suspicious]Holdo is almost certainly a lesbian[/suspicious].

Second of all, I like the implication that Rey's parents are actually [suspicious]nobodies, unimportant except someone (maybe even the Force itself!) may have used Plagueis's technique to conceive Rey or augment her Force connection[/suspicious]. Makes it true... From a certain point of view.
My Theory Emporium

Eldest Gruff: Based on what
raidem: TEXT, go find it yourself.

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 05, 2018, 12:07:10 AM »

There's also the fact that if you want to use the Dark Side effectively the only way to do so is to negative-feedback-loop all of your negative emotions for more power. You have to stack Rage onto Rage onto Rage until you're basically a frothing, rabid lunatic likely to go off at the drop of a hat.

A Sith would take the time you... I dunno, cut them off in traffic, and deliberately twist that into a bigger and bigger attack on their person, so that they could feed on the emotions that came with it for power. They're intentionally wallowing in their own negativity.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 05, 2018, 02:18:12 AM »
There's also the fact that if you want to use the Dark Side effectively the only way to do so is to negative-feedback-loop all of your negative emotions for more power. You have to stack Rage onto Rage onto Rage until you're basically a frothing, rabid lunatic likely to go off at the drop of a hat.
That's the Sith methods of grasping the dark side as the 'true' force. The jedi 'light' was actually developed second from the original Grey methods.

A Sith would take the time you... I dunno, cut them off in traffic, and deliberately twist that into a bigger and bigger attack on their person, so that they could feed on the emotions that came with it for power. They're intentionally wallowing in their own negativity.
That's true for sith though sure.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 05, 2018, 09:47:28 AM »
Well, if the Sith need to wallow in negativity; they should join Twitter.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline forumghost

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 05, 2018, 12:09:50 PM »

I don't know that Twitter's quite dark enough for the Sith. They'd probably go for Tumblr, or a Youtube comment section.

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 05, 2018, 04:24:41 PM »
I don't know that Twitter's quite dark enough for the Sith. They'd probably go for Tumblr, or a Youtube comment section.

Or KIK.

Offline twobee

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2018, 07:59:31 PM »
I have to disagree with, apparently, most of the people on this thread. I really liked TLJ, in fact, I thought it was quite possibly the best Star Wars movie so far. They had an interesting plot that never went quite the way you'd expect. Had a good mix of drama with some lighthearted moments that I thought worked well. They had some cute, kitschy critters, but were restrained in their use enough that they didn't become cloying or distracting. The action scenes were well-done and actually advanced the plot.  And I really liked the interaction between Luke and Rey.
I understand that some people were disappointed at the notion that Rey's parents were nobodies, but I thought that actually made the most sense in the context of the story. First of all, having her be the secret daughter of Luke, or even Obi-wan, would have been pretty contrived. Second, it was the most dramatic and heartbreaking discovery for Rey. For Luke, pretty much the worst thing he could have discovered was that Darth Vader was his father. For Rey, it was learning that her parents were nobodies and couldn't give her the answers she was seeking. I really hope they don't backtrack on this and try to make her actually the daughter of some important character, and I will be very disappointed if they do

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2018, 08:22:57 PM »
See... I think her mom was a nobody... I think her dad was very confused and pissed off until his wife convinced him she never had sex ;)
if there is a fissure in the force then of course it's going to keep manifesting to try and achieve balance.