Author Topic: In This, The End of All Things, I Come Out of Lurking  (Read 17115 times)

Offline Oijl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
In This, The End of All Things, I Come Out of Lurking
« on: December 22, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
I have lurked among you for years, reading the theories, laughing at the silly ones, 'mmmMMMmmm....'-ing at the possible ones, never really finishing reading any of the PhD theses posted by a Duck, and throwing my hands up in frustration at any post attempting to explain what happened in Proven Guilty.  Now that the forums are fading from this world, I must speak.

Truth 1
Simon is NOT Cowl!  There is NO evidence - yes, I've heard all the arguments, and all of it is grasping at straws.  Maybe Cowl is someone we know, maybe Cowl is Cowl, but he is not not NOT Simon, and those of you who cling to this outrageous belief will feel quite silly indeed when Cowl's identity is revealed (in, like, fifty years).

Truth B
Molly and Harry?  "Oh but she's not a child now so why won't Harry bang her?"  Okay, okay, listen to me: Molly is still a little girl.  Small children never grow up - aren't any of you guys and gals here parents?  The little ones stay little forever, if you were a parent/guardian/close adult relative type of person to them when they were little.  Harry was an uncle-type to Molly for long enough that when he looks at her he sees the child.  And he'll always see the child - at least for like the next hundred years, by which time Charity will have been dead for long enough that he won't have to worry about her coming back and haunting him.

Next Truth
Karen Murphy will never be "irrelevant" due to her being a vanilla mortal.  That's what makes her relevant, you sillies!  She's a normal person against whom we can measure the relative strength of the monsters.  She helps us calibrate.  Harry the Super Saiyan goes toe-to-toe with MegaMonster - well, okay, that can be cool, but without someone like Karen we don't have a scale that tells us "Stars and stones, those dudes' power levels are OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!11!!1"  Obviously she can't go hand-to-hand with a lot of the things Harry spends his time hobnobbing with these days, but she can show us the power in being smart, perceptive, and practical - she did manage to survive an encounter with Puck, after all.  And she can be - and has been - powerful and useful off the field.  She's a vanilla mortal, yeah, but so is the Baron of Chicago.  They're both intelligent, practical leaders, and this alone makes them very powerful.  But most of all, Karen keeps both Harry and the readers grounded.  Everyone else in Harry's orbit is a faerie or a wizard or a scion or a vampire or a god or being of pure intellect or a construct or bla de bla bla bla de bla...... even Butters is no longer vanilla-flavored.  We'll see how much more grounded Harry's become in the time since Skin Game, and I'm sure he has, but no vanilla character introduced now could compete with the character investment given to Karen.  Heck!  I'm pretty darn sure there's a WoJ saying just what I've said here.  Read it long ago, in a different life, so I have no idea where it was.

Please turn to the light and recognize that I speak Truth.  I cannot, morally, let this forum cease without turning as many as I can to the light.

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
Re: In This, The End of All Things, I Come Out of Lurking
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2017, 07:59:32 PM »
ugh, don 't worry, I cast a tall shadow indeed...
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2017, 10:52:41 PM »
Harry was an uncle-type to Molly for long enough that when he looks at her he sees the child.  And he'll always see the child

Please turn to the light and recognize that I speak Truth.  I cannot, morally, let this forum cease without turning as many as I can to the light.
Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2017, 11:02:04 PM »
With regard to Molly, Harry, Murphy...  I see it in one of two ways, did Jim start out with an end game in mind, and will no waiver from it?  Or will he let the pen carry him to the final destination?  If it's predetermined then I think Murphy is most likely Harry's match by the end.  If he's willing to let things flow then I think there is a chance for Harry and Molly, even if it's not too likely. 

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2017, 11:10:25 PM »
Strong first post, dude. Reminds me of the new guy in that movie "Waiting" and what he does at the end.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2017, 02:15:17 AM »
Word.
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Oijl

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2017, 02:44:37 AM »
With regard to Molly, Harry, Murphy...  I see it in one of two ways, did Jim start out with an end game in mind, and will no waiver from it?  Or will he let the pen carry him to the final destination?  If it's predetermined then I think Murphy is most likely Harry's match by the end.  If he's willing to let things flow then I think there is a chance for Harry and Molly, even if it's not too likely.

WoJ:
2009 Kansas City Q&A @39:35

Which character relationships did I want to keep going but had to kill through plot line?

I originally hadn't intended for things with Susan to work out the way they did.  But then I realized part way into book three that Susan Rodriguez was going to turn into Lois Lane, which I didn't want.  I didn't want Harry to be rampaging around rescuing her.  So I wound up "killing" her sort of.  In terms of what she had been in terms of the story before then she was certainly dead.  She deserved to be, but I got to give her some cool neat stuff that she could do later on.  That's the only time it's happened but that's because I haven't really scripted out Harry's love life.  I wanted it to be something that was organic, and what I found out is that [snark]apparently, if you love somebody, it can sometimes effect other portions of your life too.[/snark]

Offline raidem

• Posty McPostington
  • Duck's Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2017, 02:50:50 AM »
There is another woj about Molly that seems to suggest she is less of a primary character in the dresden files at least when he was starting out with respect to the grand scheme of things.  I really do agree that Murphy will go the distance till series end.
"That's it???  It's really that simple? 
LIES!  Damn lies!  It's a cover up!
WOJ: http://www.paranetonline.com/index.php/topic,21772.0.html

Offline jonas

• Posty McPostington
  • Surpassed Ms. Duck
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2017, 04:08:39 AM »
I'm entirely on the hedges on who ends up with whom and when, mostly because I keep thinking, 'will that be relevant in our timeline?
I guess... you could say I don't think he actually ends up with either, but both will have their place in his story.
Quote from: A. Lanning
I'm sorry, My responses are limited. You must ask the right questions.
Quote from: C Chaplin
...And so as long as men die, Liberty will never perish.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2017, 04:47:41 AM »
WoJ:
2009 Kansas City Q&A @39:35

Which character relationships did I want to keep going but had to kill through plot line?

I originally hadn't intended for things with Susan to work out the way they did.  But then I realized part way into book three that Susan Rodriguez was going to turn into Lois Lane, which I didn't want.  I didn't want Harry to be rampaging around rescuing her.  So I wound up "killing" her sort of.  In terms of what she had been in terms of the story before then she was certainly dead.  She deserved to be, but I got to give her some cool neat stuff that she could do later on.  That's the only time it's happened but that's because I haven't really scripted out Harry's love life.  I wanted it to be something that was organic, and what I found out is that [snark]apparently, if you love somebody, it can sometimes effect other portions of your life too.[/snark]

Thanks!  You should have been posting earlier!  Seem to be able to find stuff quick or know a lot.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2017, 06:35:12 AM »
While the last chapter is being written on this forum book; there is hope that a new book is coming.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline Mira

• Needs A Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2017, 11:26:01 AM »
There is another woj about Molly that seems to suggest she is less of a primary character in the dresden files at least when he was starting out with respect to the grand scheme of things.  I really do agree that Murphy will go the distance till series end.

Depends, if Harry is 200 years old at the time of writing his files, then she is long dead, she may however be the last significant woman in his life..

Offline Avernite

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2017, 01:02:21 PM »
Truth B
Molly and Harry?  "Oh but she's not a child now so why won't Harry bang her?"  Okay, okay, listen to me: Molly is still a little girl.  Small children never grow up - aren't any of you guys and gals here parents?  The little ones stay little forever, if you were a parent/guardian/close adult relative type of person to them when they were little.  Harry was an uncle-type to Molly for long enough that when he looks at her he sees the child.  And he'll always see the child - at least for like the next hundred years, by which time Charity will have been dead for long enough that he won't have to worry about her coming back and haunting him.
I would argue this kind of association is mostly subconcious. And Harry's subconcious has no problems at all with seeing Molly as a grown woman (as evidenced by Skin Game). So I am not sure how 'Truth' this is.

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2017, 07:27:50 PM »
I would argue this kind of association is mostly subconcious. And Harry's subconcious has no problems at all with seeing Molly as a grown woman (as evidenced by Skin Game). So I am not sure how 'Truth' this is.

Harry is the type of man who will let himself suffer because of what he believes is morally wrong, even if it's not.  For example he would not get with a woman who was married to a friend of his if that friend died.  Even if 10 years went by, and he loved her, and she loved him.  He'd still think it was "wrong" and not get with her.

So even if Molly is a grown woman who is smart, strong, and powerful, he'd deny himself the relationship because he felt he was some how taking advantage of her because she had a crush on him as a kid.  I hope he does get with her, but don't know if he would.  She might have to kick his ass for him to realize she's not that kid anymore.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:30:33 PM by groinkick »

Offline SerScot

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2017, 09:22:37 PM »
I have lurked among you for years, reading the theories, laughing at the silly ones, 'mmmMMMmmm....'-ing at the possible ones, never really finishing reading any of the PhD theses posted by a Duck, and throwing my hands up in frustration at any post attempting to explain what happened in Proven Guilty.  Now that the forums are fading from this world, I must speak.

Truth 1
Simon is NOT Cowl!  There is NO evidence - yes, I've heard all the arguments, and all of it is grasping at straws.  Maybe Cowl is someone we know, maybe Cowl is Cowl, but he is not not NOT Simon, and those of you who cling to this outrageous belief will feel quite silly indeed when Cowl's identity is revealed (in, like, fifty years).

Truth B

Next Truth
Karen Murphy will never be "irrelevant" due to her being a vanilla mortal.  That's what makes her relevant, you sillies!  She's a normal person against whom we can measure the relative strength of the monsters.  She helps us calibrate.  Harry the Super Saiyan goes toe-to-toe with MegaMonster - well, okay, that can be cool, but without someone like Karen we don't have a scale that tells us "Stars and stones, those dudes' power levels are OVER NINE THOUSAND!!!!11!!1"  Obviously she can't go hand-to-hand with a lot of the things Harry spends his time hobnobbing with these days, but she can show us the power in being smart, perceptive, and practical - she did manage to survive an encounter with Puck, after all.  And she can be - and has been - powerful and useful off the field.  She's a vanilla mortal, yeah, but so is the Baron of Chicago.  They're both intelligent, practical leaders, and this alone makes them very powerful.  But most of all, Karen keeps both Harry and the readers grounded.  Everyone else in Harry's orbit is a faerie or a wizard or a scion or a vampire or a god or being of pure intellect or a construct or bla de bla bla bla de bla...... even Butters is no longer vanilla-flavored.  We'll see how much more grounded Harry's become in the time since Skin Game, and I'm sure he has, but no vanilla character introduced now could compete with the character investment given to Karen.  Heck!  I'm pretty darn sure there's a WoJ saying just what I've said here.  Read it long ago, in a different life, so I have no idea where it was.

I agree on all points except the first one.  That said I am by no means certain that Simon is Cowl.  That is just my best guess based on circumstantial evidence.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 09:46:38 PM by SerScot »
"Maybe there will be a laundry emergency at the Carpenter house, and Harry shows up with detergent saying, 'I am Harry of the White Council. And I come back to you now at the turn of the TideTM.'" -  Vairelome 9/25/2011

Mab =/= Molly

Malcom =/= KotC