Author Topic: Containing Characters  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Containing Characters
« on: December 13, 2017, 07:21:59 PM »
Okay, so reading through some of the threads, I had this thought...

How would you contain, but not kill some of the characters in the books.

Handcuffs would (usually) work on vanilla Mortals like Murphy.

But how would you contain someone like Dierdra?  Not ropes, obviously. Her Razor hair would cut them easily once she changed.
Or her mom?  She just changes into a billion bugs.

How about someone like Hades, or Shagnasty?

Whom else, and how else would you contain some of the others.

No cheating.  We can't say DemonReach.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
  • Can I get a Hells Bells !!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Containing Characters
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 11:50:18 PM »
Well we have seen people be imprisoned as various types of sculptures and there are thosed thorned manacles.
Make Mine Butcher!
Who do I have to turn to ice to get a whiskey on the rocks?

Offline peregrine

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 04:35:38 AM »
Tessa can be physically contained by something airtight, or mostly airtight.  The main issue with her would be shutting down her magic, which applies to most of the threatening ones. 

Offline groinkick

• Posty McPostington
  • Strike first. Strike Hard. No Mercy! - Cobra Kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 06:20:04 AM »
How would I contain a Denarian?  Oil drum surrounded by concrete, and some sort of breathing hose.  Then I'd have a magic circle to cut any of the magic users off.  I don't know if it would work or not though.

Shagnasty would be locked in a storage container placed in concrete.  The container would be filled with several feet of water, and would have a lot of electricity pushed into it. Because they are locked on Demon Reach they may be Immortals, and nearly impossible to kill.  If they can be killed it requires an incredible amount of damage.  So Shagnasty would probably survive the electricity, but the combination of water drowning out his magic, and being constantly exposed to electrocution would hopefully make it unable to escape.

Stole this from Reginald because it was so well put, and is true for me as well.

"I love this place. It was a beacon in the dark and I couldn't have made it through some of the most maddening years of my life without some great people here."  Thank you Griff and others who took up the torch.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 10:47:58 AM »
Well, if Outsiders can be drawn into our reality. How about drop-kicking a few baddies onto Outsider turf and let them play with the real bad guys?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Snark Knight

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 03:20:13 PM »
Well, the greater circle that contained the loup garou was meant to trap something of both flesh and spirit. Most of the same basics should be applicable to something like a skinwalker, but I'm not sure how long Harry would have the stamina to hold it.

Offline RobReece

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 05:01:37 PM »
How would I contain a Denarian?  Oil drum surrounded by concrete, and some sort of breathing hose.  Then I'd have a magic circle to cut any of the magic users off.  I don't know if it would work or not though.

Shagnasty would be locked in a storage container placed in concrete.  The container would be filled with several feet of water, and would have a lot of electricity pushed into it. Because they are locked on Demon Reach they may be Immortals, and nearly impossible to kill.  If they can be killed it requires an incredible amount of damage.  So Shagnasty would probably survive the electricity, but the combination of water drowning out his magic, and being constantly exposed to electrocution would hopefully make it unable to escape.
doesn't it need to be running water that shorts out magic? Such as the rivulets of rain water in GP and the waterfall in DM.  I think that Lake Michigan is in sufficient flux to be considered running as well...
or am I mistaken?

Offline Ananda

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 04:22:13 AM »
... Her Razor hair would cut them easily once she changed. ...
Instead of “razor hair”, can we call it “Razehair”™ from now on?  Also, I’d contain them by forcing them to listen to yodel pop. They’d be perplexed into a prolonged state of inaction.

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 08:07:40 PM »
Okay, so reading through some of the threads, I had this thought...

Handcuffs would (usually) work on vanilla Mortals like Murphy.

But how would you contain someone like Dierdra?  Not ropes, obviously. Her Razor hair would cut them easily once she changed.
Or her mom?  She just changes into a billion bugs.

How about someone like Hades, or Shagnasty?

Whom else, and how else would you contain some of the others.

No cheating.  We can't say DemonReach.

Containing a Denarian, to me, involves removing their Coin. Once that's done, I'd say it's simple enough to manage with a circle and a cage.

To preempt those who will point out that it's possible for Denarians to summon their Coins, I'll simply say "Cassius Snakeboy" as proof that they can be prevented from doing so.

Offline wardenferry419

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2017, 01:04:36 AM »
Maybe the difference from having forcefully removed as oppose to willingly giving it up?
Make Mine Butcher!

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2017, 07:31:58 PM »
Well, the greater circle that contained the loup garou was meant to trap something of both flesh and spirit. Most of the same basics should be applicable to something like a skinwalker, but I'm not sure how long Harry would have the stamina to hold it.

You know, I thought about this.  And further I wondering when we'll see Harry use this.  It's got to be a tool in his tool box that he'll use eventually.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Kindler

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2017, 02:56:06 PM »
Maybe the difference from having forcefully removed as oppose to willingly giving it up?

Maybe. It makes me wonder whether Sanya could have summoned Magog's Coin or not.

Those things really need to go into Mount Doom.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 07:18:32 PM »
The Oblivion War  ;)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain