Author Topic: Jim blogs again!  (Read 3344 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Jim blogs again!
« on: November 19, 2007, 05:02:13 PM »
Another much-anticipated installment of Jim's "Writing Craft" series!

This time: Story Climaxes!

Discuss it here.

Offline pj

• Lurker
  • If I'm not back by breakfast...call the president.
    • View Profile
    • Fromthebones
Re: Jim blogs again!
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2007, 08:45:59 PM »
I love this series he's done on Writing Craft.  Having recently studied the Swain method (Techniques of the Selling Writer), Jim pins down all the relevant points of that book in a few postings, and believe me, in a lot more palatable way.  I blogged about it recently, and advise all my writer-in-waiting friends to follow the Butcher condensed method of writing, it's a surefire winner to a good, enganging story.

PJ

You can find my blog post here:  http://fictionmonster.com/2007/11/05/when-a-butcher-gives-you-advice-take-it/

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2007, 11:58:12 PM »
Couldn't wait to open this and read your recent addition to your journal on the basics of writing.

I can't tell you how excited I was to find out that the climax on my story hits the points you recommend. I can't tell you how wonderful and thrilling that feels! I must have learned it by re-reading the end of your books so many times, in particular Summer Knight.

You and your wife are always so gracious to new writers and fans! I know you are extremely busy at this point in your career with so many wonderful things happening and really appreciate the time you took to share. Now go hug your son! Wishing you all the best this holiday season!

PS to pj...What a great title--when a butcher gives you advice, take it!  How very true!
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline rinascita

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • Keepers Of The Veil
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2007, 07:20:41 PM »
Where can I find Jim's previous blog posts on writing?

ooops   :)    PJ's post answered my question.......Thanks PJ :)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2007, 07:23:16 PM by rinascita »
To be conscious that you are ignorant is a great step to knowledge.